The Student Room Group

Just discovered I don't meet the SAT writing requirement for compsci.

I'm an american applicant applying for computer science using AP's. I just reread the application requirements https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1 and realized that I don't meet the SAT writing requirement. I took the old SAT once and have 800 M, 770 CR, and 620 W. I chose not to retake it because when I took it two years ago, none of the universities I was looking at cared about writing. However, I meet the other requirements multiple ways - "Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests in appropriate subjects or SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better." - I have 5555554443 in AP's and 750+ in 4 SAT subject tests, and am currently spending a year at a university in the US. Should I email the college asking about the SAT requirement? They don't require writing on the new SAT, just the old SAT. I can take the new SAT to meet an offer, if needed.

Ugh. I'm kinda freaking out right now. Thankfully, imperial won't care. I figure if I did well enough on the MAT, oxford won't care either.
If you get an offer, it would include the new SAT offer.
Or take the ACT for the 32. What subjects are your AP 5s in? You will likely need them to be comp sci, a calc and a science.
Reply 3
Original post by skitheeast
Or take the ACT for the 32. What subjects are your AP 5s in? You will likely need them to be comp sci, a calc and a science.

I've got 5's in BC calc, Physics C mechanics, and a few humanities(though I have a 3 in physics 1 and a 4 in physics C E&M), and 800 in math 2 and a 770 in physics for the relevant subject tests. I didn't take compsci in high school, but I've been at a university in the US for a year and have an A/A- average in all my computer science courses here(I'm fine with starting over again there - the program here isn't theory-heavy at all, and I really want to switch to a more theoretical program). I know my scores are a little weak, but I think I did decently on the MAT, so I hope I get an interview.
Original post by annzabelle
I've got 5's in BC calc, Physics C mechanics, and a few humanities(though I have a 3 in physics 1 and a 4 in physics C E&M), and 800 in math 2 and a 770 in physics for the relevant subject tests. I didn't take compsci in high school, but I've been at a university in the US for a year and have an A/A- average in all my computer science courses here(I'm fine with starting over again there - the program here isn't theory-heavy at all, and I really want to switch to a more theoretical program). I know my scores are a little weak, but I think I did decently on the MAT, so I hope I get an interview.

Why not just study in the States? :P Even a CS degree from U Wisconsin Madison will get you a $70,000+ job lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending