The Student Room Group

Brexit-supporting students getting abuse on campus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Touche genius - but I assume its because you don't have any proper arguments because otherwise you're making yourself look stupid for no reason. Have the last word if you want, but it won't make you look any smarter.

I wasn't trying to make an 'argument' I simply found your rambling bleating annoying and asked you to pipe down with it until you could make a coherent statement.
Original post by Napp
I wasn't trying to make an 'argument' I simply found your rambling bleating annoying and asked you to pipe down with it until you could make a coherent statement.

That says everything. I'm just going to leave that there for people to laugh at.

Good talk.
Reply 42
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
That says everything. I'm just going to leave that there for people to laugh at.

Good talk.

Shhh.
Reminder to please keep things civil, folks.
Original post by artful_lounger
They made their bed.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

Now they can lie in it.

Of course if they claim it's because the UK will be better off economically than because of underlying xenophobia then...they probably shouldn't be at uni anyway, given the ability to evaluate the quality and validity of sources of information and defer to expert opinion when necessary in the face of their own ignorance or uncertainty is a key feature of academia.

You seriously think anyone who takes a different view to you on the economics of Brexit must be intellectually inferior! Sounds like you are the one too immature to be at university, but maybe you will fit in well at one of the EU funded propaganda universities where debate and learning to think is replaced by being told minority opinions are fundamental fact.

And economists aren't "experts". Most of them club together in cosy metropolitan bubbles and are wrong about all the big things: the financial crisis, the exchange rate mechanism, the Euro, the aftermath of a brexit vote. Logic is worth listening to above vested interests.
Reply 45
Original post by Hatter_2
You seriously think anyone who takes a different view to you on the economics of Brexit must be intellectually inferior! Sounds like you are the one too immature to be at university, but maybe you will fit in well at one of the EU funded propaganda universities where debate and learning to think is replaced by being told minority opinions are fundamental fact.

And economists aren't "experts". Most of them club together in cosy metropolitan bubbles and are wrong about all the big things: the financial crisis, the exchange rate mechanism, the Euro, the aftermath of a brexit vote. Logic is worth listening to above vested interests.

Then prey tell who would you trust on the matter? A halfwit politician who was hired expressly because they don't know anything, Or a an economist/financier/analyst etc. etc. etc. whose job and livelihood are built around being learned in the field?
Also out of interest would you call experts like Scholes, Merton, Miller etc. etc. who have all won nobel prizes for their work in finance part of this left wing 'propaganda' conspiracy because theyre experts and academics?
The Pot appears to be calling the kettle black.
Original post by Danny Dorito
A group of students have claimed that they have received a lot of abuse while on university campuses because they voted leave in the Brexit vote. From being called a "racist b****" to challenging their intelligence, student Brexiteers have been made to feel that they can't express their views without being abused.

You can read the story and watch the video here.

What do you make of this? Do / did you receive abuse from fellow students because of how you voted?

Abused? Lol, you mean bullied. And if you're getting bullied at university then that's your own fault.
Original post by Bornblue
Those on the right are becoming the new social justice warriors.

They complain and complain about people being mean about their views and seem utterly convinced that there's this great big media induced Marxist conspiracy against them.

I'm not really sure why this site seems to attract so many of these types. But I guess that's the way that the right in general is going. Their number one priority seems to be take any position on the basis of how much it annoys the the left. Hence the scepticism of climate change and support for Trump.

Top comment. they've moulded their views around pissing off others and gaining attention and when they finally get it they cry like *****es.
Original post by offsetWHOOP
Abused? Lol, you mean bullied. And if you're getting bullied at university then that's your own fault.

What a lovely chap you sound.
Reply 49
Original post by humanteaparty
Your assuming that brexiters are racists for a vote they cast when it could be for a multitude of reasons.
Nah. In pretty much every instance I have come across the "multitude of reasons" is just window-dressing for racism and xenophobia. When those reasons are challenged, they peel away like the layers of an onion to reveal their true, acrid core.
Well, I'm 16 and I have an immigrant friend from Lithuania. There are a few immigrants at our school who I have no problem with. In fact, I have nothing against immigrants, and yet I voted Leave in our school's referendum last year. I really don't get why Remainers feel the need to judge others because of their political opinion. Like, really? It's pathetic. I will admit that some Brexiters are probably xenophobic, but I'm nothing of the sort. And resorting to calling them "racist"? Like, really? Racism is the discrimination of one because of their ethnicity...the colour of their skin! I don't know people confuse that with xenophobia. People who discriminate immigrants are not racist unless said immigrant is black. If they discrimate against a black immigrant, for example, they're racist and xenophobic. Discriminating against an immigrant is just xenophobia.

And no, I didn't vote Leave in a poxy school referendum because I hate immigrants. I voted Leave because I have the freedom of opinion and I'm not afraid to voice it. I voted Leave because Britain was fine before it joined the EU in 1973, so why wouldn't we be fine now? Some Brexiters probably did vote Leave purely from their hatred of immigrants, but this does not make them racist. They're xenophobic, and people should know the difference between the two. I just don't get why Remainers believe we're all derogatory racists/xenophobes. Stop stereotyping people because of their political beliefs.
Original post by Bornblue
Those on the right are becoming the new social justice warriors.

They complain and complain about people being mean about their views and seem utterly convinced that there's this great big media induced Marxist conspiracy against them.

I'm not really sure why this site seems to attract so many of these types. But I guess that's the way that the right in general is going. Their number one priority seems to be take any position on the basis of how much it annoys the the left. Hence the scepticism of climate change and support for Trump.

Couldn't nothing agree more. It's totally pathetic and worst of all is Donald himself.

It is af if he looks at himself and picks the *****y parts and accuses his opponents of it. I love golf, oh what Obama played golf, better attack him for it. Meanwhile in less than a year he spent More time already on golf than Obama in 8 years. I lie about everything, better accuse the others as liars and fake news.
Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian
Well, I'm 16 and I have an immigrant friend from Lithuania. There are a few immigrants at our school who I have no problem with. In fact, I have nothing against immigrants, and yet I voted Leave in our school's referendum last year. I really don't get why Remainers feel the need to judge others because of their political opinion. Like, really? It's pathetic. I will admit that some Brexiters are probably xenophobic, but I'm nothing of the sort. And resorting to calling them "racist"? Like, really? Racism is the discrimination of one because of their ethnicity...the colour of their skin! I don't know people confuse that with xenophobia. People who discriminate immigrants are not racist unless said immigrant is black. If they discrimate against a black immigrant, for example, they're racist and xenophobic. Discriminating against an immigrant is just xenophobia.

And no, I didn't vote Leave in a poxy school referendum because I hate immigrants. I voted Leave because I have the freedom of opinion and I'm not afraid to voice it. I voted Leave because Britain was fine before it joined the EU in 1973, so why wouldn't we be fine now? Some Brexiters probably did vote Leave purely from their hatred of immigrants, but this does not make them racist. They're xenophobic, and people should know the difference between the two. I just don't get why Remainers believe we're all derogatory racists/xenophobes. Stop stereotyping people because of their political beliefs.

16 year olds could vote or are you admitting to voter fraud here.

And "well it was fine before so it will be fine again" has got to be the most over simplified reason ever. Man city were fine in the PL before investments, they would be fine if those stopped, and yet I'm sure most fans aren't that keen on going back.

Then again you are a 16 year old that supports Brexit, so not much should be expected.
Original post by yudothis
16 year olds could vote or are you admitting to voter fraud here.

And "well it was fine before so it will be fine again" has got to be the most over simplified reason ever. Man city were fine in the PL before investments, they would be fine if those stopped, and yet I'm sure most fans aren't that keen on going back.

Then again you are a 16 year old that supports Brexit, so not much should be expected.

Voter fraud? My original message made it clear I voted Leave in a school referendum. Obviously I didn't vote in the actual referendum because I'm not old enough...

Is that last sentence mocking my intelligence? Because I'm not stupid. I'm academically able, otherwise I wouldn't be at sixth form studying AS levels. If your last sentence wasn't commenting on my intelligence, then please state what you actually meant by it.
Voter fraud? My original message made it clear I voted Leave in a school referendum. Obviously I didn't vote in the actual referendum because I'm not old enough...

Is that last sentence mocking my intelligence? Because I'm not stupid. I'm academically able, otherwise I wouldn't be at sixth form studying AS levels. If your last sentence wasn't commenting on my intelligence, then please state what you actually meant by it.

Fair enough.

Not your intelligence per se, but a combination of it and your maturity, your wisdom, and your experience.
Fair enough.

Not your intelligence per se, but a combination of it and your maturity, your wisdom, and your experience.

Fair enough commenting on my experience because at my age, I have a lack of it in a political aspect. But commenting on a combination of my intelligence, maturity and wisdom? How does voting Leave in a school referendum make me stupid, unwise and immature exactly? I will admit that I don't have a wide political knowledge, but neither do my friends of my age. Neither does probably my whole school. I just voted in the school referendum because it was a simulation of the actual referendum, and it was compulsory. And I happened to vote Leave because I'm free to have a political opinion, as are you and everyone else.

Before you comment on my lack of political knowledge and therefore not having the ability to form an articulate political opinion, I never claimed I had political knowledge in the first place. And yes, I am aware this thread is about politics. I just posted my original comment to make a point; the point being that not all Brexiters are racist/xenophobic. Some probably are, but not all.

I'm not racist or xenophobic. The point I intended to make in this thread was made in my initial comment. My political opinion is not as articulate as the other users in this thread; again, I never claimed that in the first place.
Reply 56
Original post by Rinsed
Lol, you literally think 'defering to expert opinion' is a good quality in a student?!

What about free-thinkers, willing to challenge authority and make up their own minds? Have they not always been the driving force behind progress?

Honestly, the extent of intellectual cowardice in universities today...

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants."

If anything, so-called "free thinkers" are the detriment to progress, especially in an academic setting. There's a reason we study work that's been done already, it's because without that knowledge and experience to base stuff on we'd be back to the stone age. The same is true when it comes to politics and economics.

We should challenge accepted truth when there is reason to do so by all means, but rejecting prior knowledge for no better reason than to "challenge authority" is seriously misguided.

I voted Leave because Britain was fine before it joined the EU in 1973, so why wouldn't we be fine now?

The UK was in fairly dire straits before it joined the EEC. There's a reason it got nicknamed "the sick man of Europe" around that time. If you think things were rosy prior to joining the EEC/EU, you probably need to do a bit more reading into our history.
Fair enough commenting on my experience because at my age, I have a lack of it in a political aspect. But commenting on a combination of my intelligence, maturity and wisdom? How does voting Leave in a school referendum make me stupid, unwise and immature exactly? I will admit that I don't have a wide political knowledge, but neither do my friends of my age. Neither does probably my whole school. I just voted in the school referendum because it was a simulation of the actual referendum, and it was compulsory. And I happened to vote Leave because I'm free to have a political opinion, as are you and everyone else.

Before you comment on my lack of political knowledge and therefore not having the ability to form an articulate political opinion, I never claimed I had political knowledge in the first place. And yes, I am aware this thread is about politics. I just posted my original comment to make a point; the point being that not all Brexiters are racist/xenophobic. Some probably are, but not all.

I'm not racist or xenophobic. The point I intended to make in this thread was made in my initial comment. My political opinion is not as articulate as the other users in this thread; again, I never claimed that in the first place.

Not sure why you mention your right to vote or express an opinion, I never questioned that other than if you were underage to vote for real. I simply commented on what your opinion says about you. That's a very important difference. I then gave an example of pretty much the only sort of justification you gave for your opinion which was "it was fine before".

So again, I feel vindicated in my statement a out you given you fail to appreciate some key factors and instead went on a rant about how I am supposedly attacking you personally for no reason.
Not sure why you mention your right to vote or express an opinion, I never questioned that other than if you were underage to vote for real. I simply commented on what your opinion says about you. That's a very important difference. I then gave an example of pretty much the only sort of justification you gave for your opinion which was "it was fine before".

So again, I feel vindicated in my statement a out you given you fail to appreciate some key factors and instead went on a rant about how I am supposedly attacking you personally for no reason.

Apologies if "going on a rant" was how you interpreted my post but I didn't intend it to come across as claiming to be personally attacked by you. In my last reply, I admitted to a lack of political knowledge; I did so because I wanted to make that clear in case someone attempted to have a political debate with me. I am unable to engage in a debate in politics due to my lack of knowledge. With that in mind, my statement that Britain was fine before it joined the EU probably was from being misinformed on the issue, which I apologise for. I don't believe I'm failing to see the "key issues" however as I know the arguments for Remain. Not so much the arguments for Leave.

I will repeat though that I just wanted to make a point that not all Brexiters are racist/xenophobic. Some probably are, but not all because I am neither of those. I do not intend to get into a debate because I will admit I'm unable to hold a debate about a topic (politics, in this instance) I don't have much knowledge about. My point was made in my original post. I didn't require any political knowledge to make that point. I do not feel the need to defend myself or my opinion anymore.
Original post by Napp
Then prey tell who would you trust on the matter? A halfwit politician who was hired expressly because they don't know anything, Or a an economist/financier/analyst etc. etc. etc. whose job and livelihood are built around being learned in the field?
Also out of interest would you call experts like Scholes, Merton, Miller etc. etc. who have all won nobel prizes for their work in finance part of this left wing 'propaganda' conspiracy because theyre experts and academics?
The Pot appears to be calling the kettle black.

Politicians are only hired in the EU institutions, everywhere else they are elected.

I don't believe the majority of our current political class have integrity either, but the point is economists serve vested interests or base their assessment on often flawed assumptions, then all copy each other. Their job certainly doesn't depend on accurate predictions, otherwise there would be very few left.

I have no objection to the principle of studies in economics, and those who made important developments. Where did I say it was a left wing conspiracy?

The word expert is rather silly anyway since those who know the most about anything also know how much they don't know the most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending