The Student Room Group

Leaving a course after a semester and starting a different one from the start in Jan

So I want to leave my current course after this first semester, I have already received one maintenance payment and this university has received one payment to them too.

I'm not enjoying my course really and I want to start a new one at a different university in January (the course will be starting from the beginning).

What will funding be like? Will the semester that I have already done at the first university count as one of my funded years (the whole, new course + 1 - previous study thing)?

Just a tad worried about funding before I decide to withdraw from my first university.
Original post by amingo26
So I want to leave my current course after this first semester, I have already received one maintenance payment and this university has received one payment to them too.

I'm not enjoying my course really and I want to start a new one at a different university in January (the course will be starting from the beginning).

What will funding be like? Will the semester that I have already done at the first university count as one of my funded years (the whole, new course + 1 - previous study thing)?

Just a tad worried about funding before I decide to withdraw from my first university.

Hi amingo26,

If you are planning to change course and university for a January start we would require a change of circumstance form (CO1 form) in order for us to update the new course and university details.
As the new course is still within the same academic year and you are changing intake (September to January) and you have already been paid the term 1 installment, you should be made aware that the amount of funding awarded for the new intake will be affected by the payment amounts already received in the academic year.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi amingo26,

If you are planning to change course and university for a January start we would require a change of circumstance form (CO1 form) in order for us to update the new course and university details.
As the new course is still within the same academic year and you are changing intake (September to January) and you have already been paid the term 1 installment, you should be made aware that the amount of funding awarded for the new intake will be affected by the payment amounts already received in the academic year.

Thanks

Louise

Ah, okay thank you!

That makes sense. Thank you!
Reply 3
Hi amingo26,

Thanks

Louise

I'm confused about this, I know when you withdraw from a course and university you may have to pay back funding you weren't entitled to...

How would this work for me? Say if I withdrew today but started a new course in January? Would I still have to pay some back straight away?

What if I couldn't do it straight away?
Do you do instalments? Or would you take it away from the amount I'm entitled to on the new course?
I'm confused about this, I know when you withdraw from a course and university you may have to pay back funding you weren't entitled to...

How would this work for me? Say if I withdrew today but started a new course in January? Would I still have to pay some back straight away?

What if I couldn't do it straight away?
Do you do instalments? Or would you take it away from the amount I'm entitled to on the new course?

Hi amingo26,

If you withdraw from the current course and do not transfer to the new course in January then you may have a loan overpayment from the loan your received for the September start course .
If you are going to withdraw and start a course in January then you have to re-apply for the new course on a PN1. If you have any overpayment from the previous course this would be required to be repaid.
It maybe better if you transfer to the new course and university in January .

Thanks

Louise
Reply 5
Hi amingo26,

If you withdraw from the current course and do not transfer to the new course in January then you may have a loan overpayment from the loan your received for the September start course .
If you are going to withdraw and start a course in January then you have to re-apply for the new course on a PN1. If you have any overpayment from the previous course this would be required to be repaid.
It maybe better if you transfer to the new course and university in January .

Thanks

Louise

What is the difference between/would there be a difference:

If I withdrew from my current course and cancelled my finance then enrolled on to the new one at the new university? (I know this would use up a year of my finance)
and
If I just transferred to the new course at the new university and transferred my finance?
Hi amingo26,

If you transfer course starting in January, this means we need a change of circumstances from the university to update your application.
We would pay you the remaining finance you haven't received but this means you wouldn't get your next payment till the second term of your new course.

If you withdraw from your course and a start new course in January, you will need to reapply on a PN1. This will also count towards your previous study and possibly you will receive a letter asking you to pay back some of your loan, as this will be classed as a overpayment.

Thanks
Claire
Reply 7
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi amingo26,

If you transfer course starting in January, this means we need a change of circumstances from the university to update your application.
We would pay you the remaining finance you haven't received but this means you wouldn't get your next payment till the second term of your new course.

If you withdraw from your course and a start new course in January, you will need to reapply on a PN1. This will also count towards your previous study and possibly you will receive a letter asking you to pay back some of your loan, as this will be classed as a overpayment.

Thanks
Claire

How do I transfer?

Do I withdraw from my university, apply for the new one then send you the change of circumstances form??
How do I transfer?

Do I withdraw from my university, apply for the new one then send you the change of circumstances form??

Hi amingo26,

A transfer would come directly from the University electronically and would not require a new application form.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Reply 9
If I just withdrew, how do I pay back overpayments?

How would I do this since I don't have a job?
If I just withdrew, how do I pay back overpayments?

How would I do this since I don't have a job?

Hi amingo26,

If you withdraw from a course, your university will advise us the date of your last attendance.

Where initially you were assessed for the full academic year, you will be reassessed up until that date, on a pro rata basis.

We will advise you of your new entitlement for the length of time you were actually on the course.

If you have been paid more than what you were entitled to, then you will receive a letter advising you of this. This will include a telephone number to call and discuss options suitable to your situation, to pay back the amount overpaid.

The amount of loan that you were entitled to, you will not become eligible to repay until the April following your withdrawal and only when you are earning over the threshold.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending