The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics: PAT test discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beeakswai
actually i also thought about this explanation during the exam but I realised it seems doesnt work. So I changed my answer to consider the refraction between the two solutions instead and my final answer ended up having n2 inside. i am not sure whether this make sense or not

Thought abt that the only problem is that given that the light ray they drew for us wasn't refracted by the n1 n2 boundary its possible to say that the ring is close enuf to the side that it doesn't matter. Any light passing through n2 will also never reach the eye as well as it always moves away
Original post by beeakswai
actually i also thought about this explanation during the exam but I realised it seems doesnt work. So I changed my answer to consider the refraction between the two solutions instead and my final answer ended up having n2 inside. i am not sure whether this make sense or not

I had the same but not sure if its correct
what sort of score do you guys think would give you a decent chance of an offer?
Original post by Quantum42
what sort of score do you guys think would give you a decent chance of an offer?

Ofcourse interview are important for an offer, but I think a score around 70/75 will be the point were you’re not disadvantaged by your pat score relative to others student and from there upwards have an advantage.
Original post by Tomyil12345
Ofcourse interview are important for an offer, but I think a score around 70/75 will be the point were you’re not disadvantaged by your pat score relative to others student and from there upwards have an advantage.

I would have thought it'd be lower than that. what do you think the interview cut off will be then?
I would have thought it'd be lower than that. what do you think the interview cut off will be then?

I based my anwers of a admissions lecture given by the oxford dep. of physics in which they showed how many people of each score got an offer and around 70 was when people had a decent chance. The cutoff that year was 55 or so and this year’s is propably the same
I based my anwers of a admissions lecture given by the oxford dep. of physics in which they showed how many people of each score got an offer and around 70 was when people had a decent chance. The cutoff that year was 55 or so and this year’s is propably the same

i honestly dont think this this year's cutoff will even meet 50, i guess maybe 47/48
For the parametrics question I solved it except for the fact that I forgot that the 1/2 in the general solution would only be negative in one of them, how many marks do you think I would lose?

I left it as a(n(2pi) +- pi/6 -1/2) when it should have been a(n(2pi) + pi/6 - 1/2) and a(n(2pi) - pi/6 + 1/2)
Yes thats correct, allthough I couldn’t finish it on the test :frown: . How many point would you get for the right equations and sketch and only working out the length 8 tangent but not giving it in the simplest terms( a root of a product of roots)?

anyone know about this?
anyone know about this?

Maybe 7 out of 9?
(edited 6 years ago)
What would you guys predict the average offer holder to have scored on the PAT this year? Last year it was 71.9.
What would you guys predict the average offer holder to have scored on the PAT this year? Last year it was 71.9.

68? Where did you find the 71,9?
Original post by zemaitistrys
@DrSebWilkes

Lol nice symbols.As a future physics student, you should really try to acquire intuition for what is asked of you. Only way you can integrate the function is if t isnt a function of x - then you take t^4 out of the integral. And there is no evidence why it would be expected of us to treat t as t(x). Differentiating shouldn't cause anyone any problems.

lol assuming you are talking about the d/dt of the integral thing here. Another way to think about it is, even if t was a function of x, what sense does it make to integrate f(x) from 0 to g(x) xD ( talking about the limits of integration here )
Original post by cpocha1
Oh my god. The paper was a lot harder. By the way did anyone did that integration question? (not specifying) that was absolutely a tough question.

Oh! I did the integration question so wrong! I did it as if 't' was a function of x, not a constant (like you do in C3 but with differentiation...) it was a mess.
Original post by DrSebWilkes
I think I was able to answer every question apart from the last one. The trouble is I think I made some horrendous errors in my method for I think every 9 marker I attempted

Do we get method marks? I really really reallly hope so because maybe they might look at my work and realise "oh yeah I think he can tell what he needed to do for that part but he just ... bleughh"

Another I just forgot to take something away from a value I had calculated in the sketching question because I just forgot ... so I left my answer as something it shouldn't have been. The question on sound I didn't read and so I ... ... again .... bad ... I only drew the graph and nothing else. The maths question which asked for values when it was true I think I got half right but couldn't quite get it out for all cases.

Also the question that involved calculus worth a fair few marks I just forgot to finish it ... like I tihnk I said "this seems too easy so I'll come back to it" and forgot. So that and the last question is 18 marks right away ... my lord.

In the open day they said, if you got the answer, they don't care if you got it by magic, you'll get the full marks for that question, however, if you did not come to the right answer they then look at your workings out and can award marks for method.
Original post by Anghdavies
In the open day they said, if you got the answer, they don't care if you got it by magic, you'll get the full marks for that question, however, if you did not come to the right answer they then look at your workings out and can award marks for method.

Thanks. Sounds like someone will be spending a lot of time looking through my working then ...
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Thanks. Sounds like someone will be spending a lot of time looking through my working then ...

Saaaaaame
I just realized by skimming through this that I solved the Calculus questions perfectly......EXCEPT I differentiated t^14 as (t^13)/14 instead of 14(t^13)....What is wrong with me....
When should I be expecting to hear from my college of preference?
Do they send in rejection letters earlier?
I am having a real hard time worrying.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending