The Student Room Group

Considering changing university and course

Hi all,

I'm currently in my second year of my degree. I stuck out the first year to be sure I wasn't making a mistake but now I am positive that I want to change courses, the difficulty now being that I would also have to change university as my current uni doesn't offer the course I want to change to.

I am concerned how this would affect my student finance and whether I would be asked to repay anything to my current university.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by TawniJade15
Hi all,

I'm currently in my second year of my degree. I stuck out the first year to be sure I wasn't making a mistake but now I am positive that I want to change courses, the difficulty now being that I would also have to change university as my current uni doesn't offer the course I want to change to.

I am concerned how this would affect my student finance and whether I would be asked to repay anything to my current university.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Hi TawniJade15,

Students may wish to transfer course details during their studies. This could include transferring to a different course to the one they have started .
When calculating the student's entitlement to funding, previous study at the higher education level will be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance.
The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.
Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi TawniJade15,

Students may wish to transfer course details during their studies. This could include transferring to a different course to the one they have started .
When calculating the student's entitlement to funding, previous study at the higher education level will be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance.
The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.
Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise,

I am in my second year and have only completeld my first year but I am currently on a 4 year course, how would this work for funding?

I'm just worried I would have to fund myself but I don't want to stay on my current course that I am unhappy with.

Thanks
Hi Louise,

I am in my second year and have only completeld my first year but I am currently on a 4 year course, how would this work for funding?

I'm just worried I would have to fund myself but I don't want to stay on my current course that I am unhappy with.

Thanks

Hi Tawnijade15,

If you are now in second year we would class this as 2 years previous study, regardless whether you have completed a full year or partial year.
We would calculate you funding based on your previous study and the length of your new course.
What will be the length of the new course that you wish to study and will you be entering year 1 again?

Thanks

Louise
Reply 4
Hi Tawnijade15,

If you are now in second year we would class this as 2 years previous study, regardless whether you have completed a full year or partial year.
We would calculate you funding based on your previous study and the length of your new course.
What will be the length of the new course that you wish to study and will you be entering year 1 again?

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise,

The new course I have the choice to do either a 3 year or 4 year course so it depends on how the finance works out :frown:

Thanks

Tawni
Hi Louise,

The new course I have the choice to do either a 3 year or 4 year course so it depends on how the finance works out :frown:

Thanks

Tawni

Hi Tawni,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study .
For example
3 years(new course)+ 1 extra year = 4 years - 2 years previous study = 2 years full funding remaining.
Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. You would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, you would received a Maintenance Loan only no tuition fee support .

It would be the same calculation for a 4 year course, year 1 would be Maintenance Loan only no tuition fee support and full support in years 2, 3 and 4.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 6
Hi Tawni,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study .
For example
3 years(new course)+ 1 extra year = 4 years - 2 years previous study = 2 years full funding remaining.
Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. You would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, you would received a Maintenance Loan only no tuition fee support .

It would be the same calculation for a 4 year course, year 1 would be Maintenance Loan only no tuition fee support and full support in years 2, 3 and 4.

Thanks

Louise

Thanks for the response Louise.

Do you know whether the tuition fee would have to be paid in one big chunk as there is no way I would be able to afford this.

Thanks

Tawni
Thanks for the response Louise.

Do you know whether the tuition fee would have to be paid in one big chunk as there is no way I would be able to afford this.

Thanks

Tawni

Hi Tawni,

Each university will have it's own process for self-funding students.

It would be best to discuss with them as they may be able to tailor a payment schedule for you.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending