The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hope you guys found the BMAT easier than I did :laugh:
Well there goes my chance at imperial 😅
Original post by Mo_elheramy
Hope you guys found the BMAT easier than I did :laugh:

I can't even tell whether it was fine or hard for me, It was such a blur...
Original post by luckkong123

We just have to wait and see on 24th November :/
Reply 24
Original post by luckkong123

I feel the exact same way, like every time people ask me, I tell them to wait for my results because I have no clue
Reply 25
I actually worked for this BMAT exam, i was quite happy with the first couple of questions - hahah, and then it became an arduous journey.
Everyone finds the BMAT hard - it's meant to be. Try not to stress over that too much for now, however - it won't do anything good for you. Instead, just focus on your A-Levels.

For the internationals who were asking - I'm afraid that I do think you'll need a higher BMAT score to be invited for interview. In the past, Imperial would 'band' scores so that the people who scored the top BMAT scores would be in Band 1, then people who did well but not quite as well were in Band 2, then people who only just met the cut-off by a little bit were in Band 3. Obviously the higher the band, the greater the chance of getting an interview. I don't know if they still do this or not but in the past, international students needed to be in at least Band 2 to be considered for interview.
Reply 27
Original post by usycool1
I really like it in here in general, the teaching is actually pretty good and the hospital which I am based in has pretty good teaching.

Section 1 of the BMAT, my suggestion is to do as many practice questions as possible. Not just the past papers - use TSA papers and A-Level Critical Thinking papers. I think both are slightly easier than the BMAT, especially the A-Level critical thinking papers (I suggest reducing the official time limit for those questions too).

For section 2, make sure you know the online science guide very well. The content itself isn't too difficult, it's mainly timing and knowing when to not let your ego get in the way and skip a question that you know you can do but will take long. The science is really very applied too, so it's all about practise again.

Section 3 - if you're only applying to Imperial, just make sure that you answer ALL parts of the question in decent English. That way, you should get a 3A at least and that should meet the cut off. Of course, try to write good points too to try to push the mark up a bit - the higher your BMAT score, the greater priority you are given for interview.

Just putting an answer to each sub question will get you the 3 in the essay?
Original post by RoughER
Just putting an answer to each sub question will get you the 3 in the essay?

Not necessarily, i did that last year but got a 2.5 due to very poorly answering the last part of the question
Reallly want to go here but I'm terrified that I got a 2 in the essay :frown:(
Reply 30
Not necessarily, i did that last year but got a 2.5 due to very poorly answering the last part of the question

Thanks for the response!
The 3rd question this year had 3 sub questions: explain the statement, argue for and against. Based on this if one were to explain the statement, write a paragraph for and against, would this suffice?
Reply 31
Original post by RoughER
Thanks for the response!
The 3rd question this year had 3 sub questions: explain the statement, argue for and against. Based on this if one were to explain the statement, write a paragraph for and against, would this suffice?

Probably a 1/2.
Original post by RoughER
Thanks for the response!

Usually you'd need to have a conclusion saying to what extent you agree with the statement. I got the second variant of the section 3 so I'm afraid can't really be of more help, but if the question mentions to what extent, it's usually better to have a conclusion :smile:
Original post by surina16
Reallly want to go here but I'm terrified that I got a 2 in the essay :frown:(

Literally what I fear. Also I'm scared I'd get harsh markers who'd just give me a C :frown:
Reply 34
Usually you'd need to have a conclusion saying to what extent you agree with the statement. I got the second variant of the section 3 so I'm afraid can't really be of more help, but if the question mentions to what extent, it's usually better to have a conclusion :smile:

Thanks for the reply.
I honestly can't recall the exact wording for my conclusion but suppose I happened to have written 'Ultimately, ageing should not be treated like a disease..', would I be penalised for this?
Original post by RoughER
Thanks for the reply.
I honestly can't recall the exact wording for my conclusion but suppose I happened to have written 'Ultimately, ageing should not be treated like a disease..', would I be penalised for this?

You wouldn't if you supported the argument or if there's some rationality behind it. Also I'm not a bmat examiner but that's just my opinion :laugh:
(edited 6 years ago)
Heyy I’m a first year medic at imperial, I can try to answer any questions?? I remember how stressed I was this time last year....
Original post by pandasandpens
Heyy I’m a first year medic at imperial, I can try to answer any questions?? I remember how stressed I was this time last year....

Roughly when did you get an interview invite and what are you stats? (If you're willing to share). Hope all is going well.
Original post by Actuvia
Roughly when did you get an interview invite and what are you stats? (If you're willing to share). Hope all is going well.

I got my invite on the 8th of December but I know that Imperial were giving them out all the way till March so don’t worry if you don’t get one straight away. I got 9a*’s 2a’s for gcse and 3a*’s 1a at a level. And my bmat was 5.7 6.5 and 3a I think....
(edited 6 years ago)
@pandasandpens, how much time did you get between receiving the invite and the actual interview. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending