The Student Room Group

Have no idea what to do at uni (undergrad) :( - urgent!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chazwomaq
You and a billion other people, that's the problem. My main advice would be "have a plan B" i.e. what do you do if you can't get a decent career in media? Will your university choices give you other options in other fields?

It's a shame you chose weaker options at A-level given you are a bright student. I think you should endeavour to make sure all your other aspects are very strong i.e. the entry standards of the university you choose, your work experience, getting As (or A*s), a 1st and so on.

I have achieved these high grades and am a 'bright student' because I have chosen these subjects. Had I taken maths/science/econ/geo etc I would have had much lower predicted grades. If certain unis eg Bournemouth/Ravensbourne have high employability rates AND specially prepare you for this industry then I don't see a reason not to pursue a career in something myself and a billion other people enjoy and love. In regards to a plan B, media can consist of journalism, photography, film, TV, radio, newspaper, magazines, digital arts etc... so I guarantee that obtaining a job in at least one of these fields is more than possible. I'm not expecting to work as an assistant executive producer at Hollywood as soon as I get my degree, but it is a slow process. Many successful filmmakers/photographers etc today all started off small and gradually grew over the years. Plus, I personally think your performance at uni is considered more than the name of the uni/course
Did you want advice or just advice you agree with?
Did you want advice or just advice you agree with?

Do you expect people always to agree with your advice?
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you expect people always to agree with your advice?

No, do you?
No, do you?

Not at all, but in post #22 above you appear to be berating @lemoncow for not taking your advice and for having a different point of view.
Original post by ageshallnot
Not at all, but in post #22 above you appear to be berating @lemoncow for not taking your advice and for having a different point of view.

Oh, OK. I'm not berating, but when you ask for advice you can't expect to only hear what you want to. But tone is very hard to discern on t'internet.
Oh, OK. I'm not berating, but when you ask for advice you can't expect to only hear what you want to. But tone is very hard to discern on t'internet.

I don't think she expected to hear only what she wanted. She just put up a considered rebuttal. But I agree that tone is difficult.
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m doing almost the same a levels (lit instead of Lang) and am in exactly the same position! What did you end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending