The Student Room Group

Top university expectancies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wired_1800
It is not myth though. As a representation of the UK, Public Schools send more kids to Cambridge.

Public schools make up approximately 7% of all school kids, but had about 35% success rates.

Although we both agree that these numbers have been going down to reflect the UK, i think it is wrong to call it "perpuating myths." :wink:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

It's a myth to say they get preferential treatment.

And they are 37% of applicants not 7%. Maintained schools have a 24% success rate - not as big a difference as you are implying.

They also aren't 7% of sixth forms.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's a myth to say they get preferential treatment.

And they are 37% of applicants not 7%. Maintained schools have a 24% success rate - not as big a difference as you are implying.

They also aren't 7% of sixth forms.

Maintained schools were 40% of applications with 24.4% success rate. Independent schools were 16.6% applications with 34% success rate (2016 figures).

You may argue that the "quality" is better in public schools but the stats dont lie.
Reply 22
Maintained schools were 40% of applications with 24.4% success rate. Independent schools were 16.6% applications with 34% success rate (2016 figures).

You may argue that the "quality" is better in public schools but the stats dont lie.

Yup, and public schools are not given preference. That's the myth.

(My 37% stat was for Home Applicants only, vs 63% for maintained)
(edited 6 years ago)
Yup, and public schools are not given preference. That's the myth.

(My 37% stat was for Home Applicants only, vs 63% for maintained)

Ok
Reply 24
I think the University would like to think that it treats applicants from all backgrounds with equal concern and respect, regardless of school. Those at 'privileged' schools are not disadvantaged, but ideally neither are applicants from less privileged backgrounds, and certainly those from privileged schools don't get a 'second look' because of their schools.
Original post by HMJLM
I think the University would like to think that it treats applicants from all backgrounds with equal concern and respect, regardless of school. Those at 'privileged' schools are not disadvantaged, but ideally neither are applicants from less privileged backgrounds, and certainly those from privileged schools don't get a 'second look' because of their schools.

That might be true but until we have full view of admissions across elite universities, one can never be sure.
Reply 26
That might be true but until we have full view of admissions across elite universities, one can never be sure.

Define full view.

Keeping in mind:
https://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Cambridge%201718.pdf

I mean individual cases. It is great to have policies, but it is down to individuals to turn policies to actions.
Reply 28
I mean individual cases. It is great to have policies, but it is down to individuals to turn policies to actions.

I suspect data protection will (rightly) prevent the discussion of individual cases.. if an applicant feels they have been discriminated against there's an appeals process.

Edit: and indeed legal process depending on the nature of the alleged discrimination.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you are an exceptional student. But they might choose people who have gone sixth form. As they won’t take btecs or equivalent. You have to do A levels
Reply 30
Original post by Shazbang
If you are an exceptional student. But they might choose people who have gone sixth form. As they won’t take btecs or equivalent. You have to do A levels

Depends on the course. For example Cambridge will accept a relevant BTEC for Engineering (with an A-level in Maths).

Applicants from FE colleges have a 17% success rate at Cambridge. Just a bit lower than the 20% overall average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suspect data protection will (rightly) prevent the discussion of individual cases.. if an applicant feels they have been discriminated against there's an appeals process.

Edit: and indeed legal process depending on the nature of the alleged discrimination.

That is true. Data protection cannot enable a closer look at individual cases

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending