The Student Room Group

PORTFOLIO (Graphic Design)

Hi guys!
I've applied to a few universities to study graphic design..and I have a problem. I have been drawing and painting for 10 years, but I have only a few digital ones. So is it important to have most of my artwork digital? Maybe some of you are studying graphic design or have a few friends and could help me with this situation? I'm thinking of putting a few paintings, some kind of drawing and some outlines/mixtape covers in my portfolio, since I have no logos created. Do you think it would be okay? Or would you guys recommend me to create some other stuff?
PS maybe some of you could pm me your old portfolios or something so I could see the examples? I can tell you my twitter or facebook or whatever x
PPS do you think they will judge me if I put my artwork on tumblr and edit the theme and stuff? :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Thought so! But when I checked the page of the university it all said about digital artwork so I kind of had a mini heart attack haha
Original post by ellegance
Hi guys!
I've applied to a few universities to study graphic design..and I have a problem. I have been drawing and painting for 10 years, but I have only a few digital ones. So is it important to have most of my artwork digital? Maybe some of you are studying graphic design or have a few friends and could help me with this situation? I'm thinking of putting a few paintings, some kind of drawing and some outlines/mixtape covers in my portfolio, since I have no logos created. Do you think it would be okay? Or would you guys recommend me to create some other stuff?
PS maybe some of you could pm me your old portfolios or something so I could see the examples? I can tell you my twitter or facebook or whatever x

It really depends where you're applying! I applied to do Graphic Design last year and I had interviews from the university of Lincoln and Nottingham Trent and they said very different things.

I studied fine art at a level and so had a lot of fine art stuff in my portfolio (drawings, paintings, 3D work, photography etc) alongside this, I also did a side project where I rebranded a dessert shop.

Nottingham Trent told me that I didn't have enough graphics work and so declined me, but Lincoln told me they loved the fact I had such a large amount of work of different media.

Tldr; it depends where your applying? Some uni's want a very graphics portfolio and some want mixed. If I was you, consider doing a foundation diploma because it can really bulk up your knowledge on graphics before you go to learn it (I'm doing a foundation diploma atm and I'm so happy I chose to)
Reply 3
Original post by Verigans
It really depends where you're applying! I applied to do Graphic Design last year and I had interviews from the university of Lincoln and Nottingham Trent and they said very different things.

I studied fine art at a level and so had a lot of fine art stuff in my portfolio (drawings, paintings, 3D work, photography etc) alongside this, I also did a side project where I rebranded a dessert shop.

Nottingham Trent told me that I didn't have enough graphics work and so declined me, but Lincoln told me they loved the fact I had such a large amount of work of different media.

Tldr; it depends where your applying? Some uni's want a very graphics portfolio and some want mixed. If I was you, consider doing a foundation diploma because it can really bulk up your knowledge on graphics before you go to learn it (I'm doing a foundation diploma atm and I'm so happy I chose to)

Oh! I don't really want to do the foundation diploma because I already went to art school for 9 years.. I applied to 5 universities so I hope one of em will accept me. PS I pmed you x
Reply 4

hhhhhh im going to send off my application in a few days and ntu is one of my main choices,I do not have enough graphics work either and sorta freaking out now if they'll decline me:frown: Did a level fine art and completed a foundation diploma in art and design but unfortunately we only had 1 lesson in graphics and i never ended up producing as much graphics work as i wanted :s-smilie:Any tips on what graphics work I should focus on/make to show at an interview?? Thanks
Original post by Greta98
hhhhhh im going to send off my application in a few days and ntu is one of my main choices,I do not have enough graphics work either and sorta freaking out now if they'll decline me:frown: Did a level fine art and completed a foundation diploma in art and design but unfortunately we only had 1 lesson in graphics and i never ended up producing as much graphics work as i wanted :s-smilie: tips on what graphics work I should focus on/make to show at an interview?? Thanks

Only 1 lesson in graphics? That's crazy, I have it every other Tuesday because we alternate between vis com, 3D, Fine Art and fashion

ANYWAY, if you really want to get into ntu, you really need to have a 90% graphics portfolio. Sadly that's the way it is. I did a project where I did a redesign of a cafe shop logo and they said I didn't have enough and recommended I took a foundation diploma.

Just FYI, (not to turn you off but this is something I have heard) but NTU accepts a LOT of people on their graphics course and it's known that their courses are normally very busy and you can rarely see your lecturers because they teach multiple classes (but idk how true that last part is)) but it is also a very highly regarded course so I wish you the best of luck! Where else are you applying?
Reply 6
Only 1 lesson in graphics? That's crazy, I have it every other Tuesday because we alternate between vis com, 3D, Fine Art and fashion

ANYWAY, if you really want to get into ntu, you really need to have a 90% graphics portfolio. Sadly that's the way it is. I did a project where I did a redesign of a cafe shop logo and they said I didn't have enough and recommended I took a foundation diploma.

Just FYI, (not to turn you off but this is something I have heard) but NTU accepts a LOT of people on their graphics course and it's known that their courses are normally very busy and you can rarely see your lecturers because they teach multiple classes (but idk how true that last part is)) but it is also a very highly regarded course so I wish you the best of luck! Where else are you applying?

We were pretty much just taught the basics of Photoshop and Illustrator,I ended up making a few illustrations but never got to make any typography/branding work etc :frown: (Most of the work I did in foundation is mixed media/illustration work) I am currently on a gap year so I do have the time to create more digital work before the interviews but i don't think it would be good enough with the skills i have.

Also I did apply last year and received an offer for BA Graphic Design at Lincoln(the only interview i actually attended because mid application i decided on a gap year after the foundation :colondollar:)So at the end i ended up withdrawing my application.

I haven't visited ntu yet but will do so at their next open day in dec,thank you for the info about it btw. My first choice has always been Coventry,used to want to study Illustration and Graphics but then realised course content wise Graphic Design would be more suitable for me.

Thanks for replying :h:

Quick Reply

Latest