The Student Room Group

Applied on UCAS to the wrong course!

So I didn't realise because ... well ... look it happened alright?

I applied to St. Andrews and I had said I would start at year 0, which would be fine if it were not the fact that as I do A-levels I don't need to do another year of catch-up.

I want to alter / edit / change my course so it's direct entry into the 2nd year (year 1) ... how should I go about changing this? Will this affect my application?
Original post by DrSebWilkes
So I didn't realise because ... well ... look it happened alright?

I applied to St. Andrews and I had said I would start at year 0, which would be fine if it were not the fact that as I do A-levels I don't need to do another year of catch-up.

I want to alter / edit / change my course so it's direct entry into the 2nd year (year 1) ... how should I go about changing this? Will this affect my application?

When did you apply?
Original post by PQ
When did you apply?

7th October ... .... I only just looked it into it because I was a bit confused by something my Dad mentioned.

Anyway ... they don't make decisions until January but I would like to sort it out sooner rather than later?
7th October ... .... I only just looked it into it because I was a bit confused by something my Dad mentioned.

Anyway ... they don't make decisions until January but I would like to sort it out sooner rather than later?

OK

In that case it's too late to make the changes yourself/using UCAS. You need to contact St Andrews to explain the mistake and ask them to change the entry year.
Original post by PQ
OK

In that case it's too late to make the changes yourself/using UCAS. You need to contact St Andrews to explain the mistake and ask them to change the entry year.

Ahh right. Presumably direct the email to their admissions office rather than the physics department?
How bad does this look on me?

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Another question- What did you apply for?

A 5 year course in Theoretical Physics. (I only want to do 4 :redface: )
Ahh right. Presumably direct the email to their admissions office rather than the physics department?

Definitely possible- StA says this (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/physics/pandaweb/admiss/5tier/ug_cours.htm) on their website- I would email Admissions to see if they can change it

They won’t care. It’s a really common mistake.

Better than the dozens of applicants we have contacting us every year who applied to the wrong university accidentally (and that can’t be changed after 14 days)
Original post by PQ

Better than the dozens of applicants we have contacting us every year who applied to the wrong university accidentally (and that can’t be changed after 14 days)

When I was applying to uni last year, plenty of people I knew accidentally applied to the ex-Poly counterpart of the same city and only realized when the offer they got was unexpectedly low!

They were bloody stressed afterwards!
Original post by Blue_Cow
When I was applying to uni last year, plenty of people I knew accidentally applied to the ex-Poly counterpart of the same city and only realized when the offer they got was unexpectedly low!

They were bloody stressed afterwards!

Original post by PQ

Thanks to all. Hahaha no I am pretty sure I have applied to the right St. Andrews here xD :P

As you say, if it's a common error, with some luck, they won't care and it can all be changed. I've sent them an email saying I think it would be better to get a direct entry and asking them to change it based on my understanding of how highers vs A-levels work (so if I am wrong, they can point it out).

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending