The Student Room Group

What's the better option for A - Levels: History, Maths or Psychology?

I am determined to achieve a career on medicine therefore I am choosing chemistry and biology as my two a-levels however I am not sure on my third and forth option. Which one would be best for medicine from the above and why?

I think maths is the best but my confidence in maths is really low although i am expected a level 7 (A) in it so please help me I am struggling to make up my mind.
Original post by isadiya
I am determined to achieve a career on medicine therefore I am choosing chemistry and biology as my two a-levels however I am not sure on my third and forth option. Which one would be best for medicine from the above and why?

I think maths is the best but my confidence in maths is really low although i am expected a level 7 (A) in it so please help me I am struggling to make up my mind.

Maths A-level is quite a step up and is pretty difficult. However, it's a good idea to do it because it complements sciences very well. Don't forget that most sixth-forms allow you to drop or switch subjects during the first half-term or so.
I'm not an expert or anything but I think chemistry, biology and history/psychology would be fine depending on the medical school. Check individual websites to see what their requirements are, because some may prefer a third science/maths subject but others would be fine with history or psychology :smile:
personally maths is best but it can be tricky. if you only get a c/d in it then it would of been better to do pshycology. basically what I'm trying to say is that maths is the best option, but it is only the best if you can succeed in it.
Reply 4
Original post by TheMindGarage
Maths A-level is quite a step up and is pretty difficult. However, it's a good idea to do it because it complements sciences very well. Don't forget that most sixth-forms allow you to drop or switch subjects during the first half-term or so.

Would it be okay to take maths AS Level instead of A level? Also, which is better: History or Psychology?
Reply 5
Original post by isadiya

Do 3 not 4. If you aren't comfortable with maths don't do it. You will need 3 strong A-levels. AABB isn't as good as AAA, or ideally A*A*A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
Do 3 not 4. If you aren't comfortable with maths don't do it. You will need 3 strong A-levels. AABB isn't as good as AAA, or ideally A*A*A...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im going to do one for AS level would it be okay to do maths AS level or would that decrease my chances? Also whats the better subject: history or psychology?
I would say that if you feel confident enough - go for maths, as there is a lot of maths in Chemistry still. If not, then do Psychology.
I wouldn't go for History as it doesn't really go with Biology and Chemistry, and I definitely would not do it as a 4th as it's a lot of hard work.
Original post by isadiya
Im going to do one for AS level would it be okay to do maths AS level or would that decrease my chances? Also whats the better subject: history or psychology?

History is facilitating but Psychology probably goes better. If you struggle with Maths, then don't do it as a 4th, and stick with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I would say that if you feel confident enough - go for maths, as there is a lot of maths in Chemistry still. If not, then do Psychology.
I wouldn't go for History as it doesn't really go with Biology and Chemistry, and I definitely would not do it as a 4th as it's a lot of hard work.

So would history still be bad as an AS Level?
Original post by isadiya
So would history still be bad as an AS Level?

I wouldn't do it. There's no need to do 4 AS Levels - it's just unnecessary work. History really doesn't go with the Chem and Bio and it's so much work. I think you'll find it too much.
add a subject that will teach you how to write academically , like psychology and sociology.. f maths lol.
Do whatever you feel most confident in. Maths A level isn't a requirement for any medical schools if you already have Biology and Chemistry, but if applying to Oxbridge it will increase your chances. It can be beneficial for studying your other subjects (there are lots of calculations in Bio and Chem) and can be beneficial for BMAT, if you decide to sit it. If you took History/Psychology, it wouldn't disadvantage your application, but from personal experience essay subjects can be very time consuming!
You don't have to take this advice
But basically loved gcse history so much, it was my absolute favourite subject and I got an A* at gcse
Now I'm doing it for a level and it's SO hard
In my first exam I got a D and in my second I got a C
It's such a step up because the writing style is so different
Although if you're doing the new gcse you might already be used to this style

I took psychology as a total last resort after french had clashed and psychology is currently my favourite subject.
It's really interesting and I actually enjoy doing the work and homework

I have no advice for maths sorry!

It's your choice but just make sure you know that history is HARD!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest