The Student Room Group

Car purchase + insurance advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by EBastos
Isn't a blackbox a good thing?

If I don't have problems that would reduce my insurance right?

Haven't ever used one myself but if you drive like my mother then it should be fine. But in general I hear it can be quite difficult to satisfy the blackbox. If you do a lot of night driving it'll penalise you for that, too. Generally the piece of mind without it is worth paying for, IMO.
Reply 21
Original post by NX172
Haven't ever used one myself but if you drive like my mother then it should be fine. But in general I hear it can be quite difficult to satisfy the blackbox. If you do a lot of night driving it'll penalise you for that, too. Generally the piece of mind without it is worth paying for, IMO.

Oh Wow!

Then it is better not to!

Thought it was something useful!
Original post by EBastos
You mean Bells's or Aviva? ahah

yes! lol
Original post by EBastos
Oh Wow!

Then it is better not to!

Thought it was something useful!

Black box is useful if you’re a 17 year old like me who lives in one of the high risk areas as it cut my insurance by over £1500 if you don’t need it though don’t as it’s impossible to satisfy, every time I drive to work I am driving at a bad time of day.
Reply 24
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Black box is useful if you’re a 17 year old like me who lives in one of the high risk areas as it cut my insurance by over £1500 if you don’t need it though don’t as it’s impossible to satisfy, every time I drive to work I am driving at a bad time of day.

I see. I understand
Original post by NX172
Depends on your area. But 25 y/o with 0 no claims and 5 years experience I would say that looks about right. Try going to some insurance companies that aren't on comparison websites, such as aviva and directline, they might be able to do it cheaper.

Those prices look extortionate. I had a few years without driving so my no claims expired, even still I am paying much less than those quotes for a fiesta ST with various insurance addons, no black box and a better provider than those.

Maybe being foreign pushes your quotes up a lot.
Reply 26
Original post by UniWasEz
Those prices look extortionate. I had a few years without driving so my no claims expired, even still I am paying much less than those quotes for a fiesta ST with various insurance addons, no black box and a better provider than those.

Maybe being foreign pushes your quotes up a lot.

I've never driven anything close to the insurance group of a Polo or ST so I wouldn't know. Unless you live in a good area, I don't think it'd be unreasonable for that price to appear either, especially here in London where it's easily a couple hundred pounds more. No idea about the foreign thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NX172
I've never driven anything close to the insurance group of a Polo or ST so I wouldn't know. Unless you live in a good area, I don't think it'd be unreasonable for that price to appear either, especially here in London where it's easily a couple hundred pounds more. No idea about the foreign thing.

Unless it's Polo GTI I'd imagine an ST would be in a much higher insurance group. Didn't realise TC was in London, but those prices still surprise me.
Reply 28
Unless it's Polo GTI I'd imagine an ST would be in a much higher insurance group. Didn't realise TC was in London, but those prices still surprise me.

My point is I can only base it relative to what I've been quoted at when I was 25, so I don't know what either an ST or Polo costs at the age of 25 with no no-claims but it's a lot cheaper than what I paid (~£1400)whilst having no claims discount.

At 0 no claims those prices wouldn't surprise me, is all. Considering even 1 year of no claims is worth 30% discount with most insurers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Original post by NX172
My point is I can only base it relative to what I've been quoted at when I was 25, so I don't know what either an ST or Polo costs at the age of 25 with no no-claims but it's a lot cheaper than what I paid (~£1400)whilst having no claims discount.

At 0 no claims those prices wouldn't surprise me, is all. Considering even 1 year of no claims is worth 30% discount with most insurers.

For comparison, I'm 26, 0 no claims discount (expired), 4 years named driver experience, no past claims or points. Driving an ST (insurance group is high 20s or low 30s iirc) on Directline with a few extras and £150 total excess for £600ish a year. Felt like I was getting robbed after remembering what I use to pay, but maybe I didn't do too bad after all.

Think polos are around insurance group 10
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30

For comparison, I'm 26, 0 no claims discount (expired), 4 years named driver experience, no past claims or points. Driving an ST (insurance group is high 20s or low 30s iirc) on Directline with a few extras and £150 total excess for £600ish a year. Felt like I was getting robbed after remembering what I use to pay, but maybe I didn't do too bad after all.

Think polos are around insurance group 10

Personally I'd be happy with that quote!
Reply 31
it seems there are mixed feelings about my insurance...

Maybe if i change my driving license to British it would go down?

Quick Reply

Latest