The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Missed a month of lectures & in first year

I've missed a month of lectures &have only been to 4. What should I do? I feel like I've missed out on work & social aspects, i haven't received any payments from the uni so is it possible to defer?
(edited 6 years ago)
Is there a reason why you missed so many lectures (any extenuating circumstances?)?

You have to consider if there is any way to make up the year and the work that you have missed. If not, look at alternative options. You say that you haven't received any money from Student Finance, does that include tuition loans?

I would recommend you talk to your personal tutor to discuss what has gone on, and if you want to defer, what steps you need to take next.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Being lazy and disorganised, and I didn't take a loan
If you didn't take a loan, why would you receive payments from the university?
Reply 4
Original post by flyingpanda
If you didn't take a loan, why would you receive payments from the university?

When are you meant to receive payments then?
Have you or have you not applied to Student Finance? If not, you won't get any money, and there won't be a time for you to receive it.... because you've not applied for it!
Original post by bookbag

Are you still interested in doing your course at your university? I think if you put in the effort, you could catch up with the work you have missed. It is only first year, so your marks shouldn't matter so much. However, you do have to be more organised and start attending classes. In terms of the social aspect, you can still join societies and meet people. It has only been a month, so not too much time has passed!

Have you not paid any of the tuition fee to the university? I am guessing you will have spent some money on things like accommodation, things for your flat and student supplies. I don't think you should really defer because of the reason you gave. The hard work begins second and third year, so if you can pass the year and install some good study habits in yourself, you wouldn't have to go through the process of deferring.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by flyingpanda
Have you or have you not applied to Student Finance? If not, you won't get any money, and there won't be a time for you to receive it.... because you've not applied for it!

No I haven't
Reply 8
Original post by cheesecakelove
Are you still interested in doing your course at your university? I think if you put in the effort, you could catch up with the work you have missed. It is only first year, so your marks shouldn't matter so much. However, you do have to be more organised and start attending classes. In terms of the social aspect, you can still join societies and meet people. It has only been a month, so not too much time has passed!

Have you not paid any of the tuition fee to the university? I am guessing you will have spent some money on things like accommodation, things for your flat and student supplies. I don't think you should really defer because of the reason you gave. The hard work begins second and third year, so if you can pass the year and install some good study habits in yourself, you wouldn't have to go through the process of deferring.

Thanks for this, and before I went to the uni wanted to do a gap year because didn't feel ready but I went anyway and yes I have accomodation. And I haven't received any invoices for the uni fees yet
Drop out and stop wasting everyone’s time
Original post by bookbag
Thanks for this, and before I went to the uni wanted to do a gap year because didn't feel ready but I went anyway and yes I have accomodation. And I haven't received any invoices for the uni fees yet

I would continue if you do have genuine interest in the course and the university. Did your department not contact you about the missed lectures?

If you dislike the course or are not ready to study a degree, it doesn't hurt to drop out and take time to consider your options so you can be confident in the path that you are taking. You will be responsible for the tuition fee in proportion to the time that you have studied, so if you haven't paid anything, you will have to. In terms of accommodation, this is something you will need to discuss with the person responsible for managing it. You might need to find someone to take over your contract.
Reply 11
I'm a bit confused.
How have you not taken out a loan with Student Finance? The uni doesn't give you money, you give the uni money.
If you never applied to Student Finance, no one is giving you money. Your main issue is that you are already in debt for starting the course. Since you've started, but have no loan, you technically owe them a year's tuition.
Original post by bookbag

Honestly dont think it matters as most students are a month behind anyway... Including me
Reply 13
Original post by dokimei
I'm a bit confused.
How have you not taken out a loan with Student Finance? The uni doesn't give you money, you give the uni money.
If you never applied to Student Finance, no one is giving you money. Your main issue is that you are already in debt for starting the course. Since you've started, but have no loan, you technically owe them a year's tuition.

I'm paying without a loan
Reply 14
Original post by bookbag
I'm paying without a loan

Then why were you expecting to get paid?
Reply 15
Original post by dokimei
Then why were you expecting to get paid?

I wasnt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending