The Student Room Group

about part time jobs or freelancing while studying at Oxford

I heard that oxford doesn't allow students to do freelancing ( like in upwork) or part time jobs... is it true?
Reply 1
If you're female you could try being a sugarbaby, its really popular at Cambridge.
Original post by ManaPigs
If you're female you could try being a sugarbaby, its really popular at Cambridge.

I am male and I am talking about Oxford and freelancing
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Why do you need a job? Can't you get a loan? If you get into Oxford you can get most high-paying jobs you want (if you get a 2:1) and you can pay your debt back fairly comfortably.

do they give loan to the international students? and btw I need it because my father got bankrupt. our property is on auctions
Why do you need a job? Can't you get a loan? If you get into Oxford you can get most high-paying jobs you want (if you get a 2:1) you will be able to re-pay any debt fast.

Loans don’t quite work that way. You can’t always get the full amount you need.
I thought OP was a UK student so he'd be able to get the largest student loan.

Loans depend on household income, not sure what the “largest loan” is that you’re referring to?

I don’t know about the loans system for international students. But despite the nationality, some can’t always get the loans they need from the government. ‘Tis sad.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Loans depend on household income, not sure what the “largest loan” is that you’re referring to?

I don’t know about the loans system for international students. But despite the nationality, some can’t always get the loans they need from the government. ‘Tis sad.

so am I allowed to do part time jobs? or freelancing ( web development) . do you know.anything about this?
Original post by mostakinrabbi
so am I allowed to do part time jobs? or freelancing ( web development) . do you know.anything about this?

Depending on your visa, you may have a maximum amount of hours you can work contract. It’s something you’ll have to find out on your own I’m afraid.
They won't know about freelancing work, so as long as you get your academic work done it should be fine. You're not allowed a part time job (without a tutors permission) but this only applies during term time. You would have an 8 week term as opposed to 12 weeks, so you have 6 week breaks during Christmas and Easter to work, as well as the summer holidays :smile: Your best bet would be to get a scholarship from your home country if you're having trouble with the fees though
Original post by Poooky
They won't know about freelancing work, so as long as you get your academic work done it should be fine. You're not allowed a part time job (without a tutors permission) but this only applies during term time. You would have an 8 week term as opposed to 12 weeks, so you have 6 week breaks during Christmas and Easter to work, as well as the summer holidays :smile: Your best bet would be to get a scholarship from your home country if you're having trouble with the fees though

helpful information... thanks a lot :smile:
You can ask your tutor for permission to have a paid job during term time. If you explain that you're in need of the money and as long as your work doesn't suffer, I think a lot of tutors would agree to let you give it a shot (even my very old-school tutor was happy with me running the college bar, and was happy with one of the other students on my course having a part-time job in a shop).

I did a fair bit of freelance work both during term time and during the holidays without too much trouble. You just need to have enough self-awareness to know when you need to cut back and focus on work.
Original post by *pitseleh*
You can ask your tutor for permission to have a paid job during term time. If you explain that you're in need of the money and as long as your work doesn't suffer, I think a lot of tutors would agree to let you give it a shot (even my very old-school tutor was happy with me running the college bar, and was happy with one of the other students on my course having a part-time job in a shop).

I did a fair bit of freelance work both during term time and during the holidays without too much trouble. You just need to have enough self-awareness to know when you need to cut back and focus on work.

thanks.... helpful information :smile:
Are Oxford university racist??
Original post by ismailali
Are Oxford university racist??

Speak English first and let's talk about that
Original post by mostakinrabbi
I heard that oxford doesn't allow students to do freelancing ( like in upwork) or part time jobs... is it true?

No it isn't true but every college issues guidance that cautions students to get the balance right and to put academic commitments first.

We ask students to prioritise completion of assignments over other activities and would find it difficult to meet requests to reconfigure the teaching timetable around a work rosta. Otherwise, the general approach at Brasenose is the same as for other extra-curricular activities: it's best to let your Tutors know if you plan to take on a major commitment (unpaid volunteering or a lead role in a student society, or paid part-time work) and communicate with them.

Our advice is to try to keep paid work at low levels during Term because full term is quite short (eight weeks) and there is a lot of studying to do and also many opportunities for leisure during 'down time'. There are studies that show that equal amounts of working on campus is likely to be positively correlated with academic performance compared to working off campus. One in three of our undergraduates every year does some paid work for the college itself - mainly outside Full Term but some during Term.
Reply 15
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
No it isn't true but every college issues guidance that cautions students to get the balance right and to put academic commitments first.

We ask students to prioritise completion of assignments over other activities and would find it difficult to meet requests to reconfigure the teaching timetable around a work rosta. Otherwise, the general approach at Brasenose is the same as for other extra-curricular activities: it's best to let your Tutors know if you plan to take on a major commitment (unpaid volunteering or a lead role in a student society, or paid part-time work) and communicate with them.

Our advice is to try to keep paid work at low levels during Term because full term is quite short (eight weeks) and there is a lot of studying to do and also many opportunities for leisure during 'down time'. There are studies that show that equal amounts of working on campus is likely to be positively correlated with academic performance compared to working off campus. One in three of our undergraduates every year does some paid work for the college itself - mainly outside Full Term but some during Term.

It would be most useful if You could tell me what types of paid-jobs are available for undergraduate students in the college.
Reply 16
Original post by mmdsun9
It would be most useful if You could tell me what types of paid-jobs are available for undergraduate students in the college.

It varies by college but examples might include:
- evening/weekend library staff
- bar staff
- tour guides
- holiday work calling alumni to ask for donations
Some colleges do seem to prefer graduate students for some jobs though.
Original post by mmdsun9

Examples are:

Working for the Admissions Office during interviews
Summer conference work
Working for the Development Office on the telethons
Bar, Library and It Office work (these are all Term time)

The first three are out of Term and students receive free accommodation (to enable equal opportunity) & meals plus payment at the standard casual rate.
Reply 18
I am looking for a ghostwriter from a top university , is their anywhere on this forum that I could post a job ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending