The Student Room Group

Why do so many people get an A* in maths compared to other subjects?

It's virtually always the case that there's a higher proportion of A* grades in STEM (Science and Maths) subjects than Humanities, such as English and History, for instance.
With Maths, if you're really good at it and learn the techniques perfectly, then it's much easier to get full marks - the answers to the problems are either right or wrong; there's no dispute.
However, in an English exam, for instance, an essay that one marker may award a B grade to may receive an A grade from someone else. On the rare occasions that someone gets an A* in an essay-based subjects, it's because they've got both a) exceptional ability and b) they've been fortuitous with who's marking the paper (i.e. an examiner that agrees with their viewpoint and likes their style). It's inevitable that there's going to be some bias, as the nature of the Humanities is that there are grey areas and subjectivity.

This is why you can get 100% in a Maths exam for the reasons outlined above, but it's nigh on impossible to obtain the same in the likes of English and History.
Original post by The_Prince
It's virtually always the case that there's a higher proportion of A* grades in STEM (Science and Maths) subjects than Humanities, such as English and History, for instance.
With Maths, if you're really good at it and learn the techniques perfectly, then it's much easier to get full marks - the answers to the problems are either right or wrong; there's no dispute.
However, in an English exam, for instance, an essay that one marker may award a B grade to may receive an A grade from someone else. On the rare occasions that someone gets an A* in an essay-based subjects, it's because they've got both a) exceptional ability and b) they've been fortuitous with who's marking the paper (i.e. an examiner that agrees with their viewpoint and likes their style). It's inevitable that there's going to be some bias, as the nature of the Humanities is that there are grey areas and subjectivity.

This is why you can get 100% in a Maths exam for the reasons outlined above, but it's nigh on impossible to obtain the same in the likes of English and History.

Yes but 21.95% compared to less than 10% for all other STEM subjects is ridiculous.
Because maths is fairly straightforward. Not saying that it's easy but the questions ask you to perform a task and you carry out that task. In physics and chemistry the exam questions are often much more complex and you have to really try hard to work out what they are on about. Also yeah maths is entirely skill based where as with physics and chem there is a lot of stuff you have to remember.

A couple reasons. And it goes without saying that there are absolutely many exceptions to this generalisation.

Those who take STEM subjects tend to be more academically able.

STEM subjects in themselves are much simpler. It’s right or it’s wrong. Thus, students can be taught the right way and eliminate the concern that an examiner “won’t like your answer”
Original post by black1blade
Because maths is fairly straightforward. Not saying that it's easy but the questions ask you to perform a task and you carry out that task. In physics and chemistry the exam questions are often much more complex and you have to really try hard to work out what they are on about. Also yeah maths is entirely skill based where as with physics and chem there is a lot of stuff you have to remember.

If you look at private school statistics the three sciences are very similar in grade distribution to maths. So I believe sciences are actually "easier" as maths gets over inflated by the FM set and the huge amount of people who take it because they're good at it and need it for something else.

Chemistry for example is just like maths in that you learn a method and apply it. It's a lot of facts. Yet for all students less people get A*s than maths.

TBH I just think a lot of Brits are lazy.
Original post by Appleorpear
If you look at private school statistics the three sciences are very similar in grade distribution to maths. So I believe sciences are actually "easier" as maths gets over inflated by the FM set and the huge amount of people who take it because they're good at it and need it for something else.

Chemistry for example is just like maths in that you learn a method and apply it. It's a lot of facts. Yet for all students less people get A*s than maths.

TBH I just think a lot of Brits are lazy.

Maths is easier to teach competently than physics and chemistry too.
I got A*A*A* in History, Politics and English.

Talking to my friends who took STEM subjects I’ve found the difference is in STEM subjects generally (particularly maths): Input A* Level practice = output A* grade.

While Essay based subjects are:
Input A* Level practice = output B-A grade.

For an A* in essay based subject often its
Input A* Level practice + natural ability = output A* grade

Obviously there’s a lot of challenges to these rules e.g. if someone has extremely high natural ability (I have a real knack for essays, I’m not sure why, I barely revised my subjects relative to my friends who revised for months and achieved C’s-A’s).

Also there’s isn’t no level of subjectivity in Maths, except the a rare working out error or whatever. Although people overstate examiner subjectively in essay subjects. Across AS and A2 I achieved over 15 full mark essays in my subjects and often I put very controversial points, but I always backed them up with evidence, that’s why I got the mark, not an examiner in agreement.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I got A*A*A* in History, Politics and English.

Talking to my friends who ho took STEM subjects I’ve found the difference is in STEM subjects generally (particularly maths): Input A* Level practice = output A* grade.

While Essay based subjects are:
Input A* Level practice = output B-A grade.

For an A* in essay based subject often its
Input A* Level practice + natural ability = output A* grade

Obviously there’s a lot of challenges to these rules e.g. if someone has extremely high natural ability (I have a real knack for essays, I’m not sure why, I barely revised my subjects relative to my friends who revised for months and achieved C’s-A’s).

Also there’s isn’t no level of subjectivity in Maths, except the a rare working out error or whatever.

Talk about blowing one's trumpet...
Original post by funky2722
Talk about blowing one's trumpet...

I don’t take pleasure in announcing my ability in essay subjects to the world, but it fit the question asked. Also there’s nothing wrong with being proud of yourself.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I don’t take pleasure in announcing my ability in essay subjects to the world, but it fit the question asked. Also there’s nothing wrong with being proud of yourself.

Fair enough, congratulations! You probably worked hard and you should be proud.
mathematicians > everyone else
Coz its piss
Original post by lolz23489
Coz its piss

Did you get 3 A*s? Stop trolling.
Did you get 3 A*s? Stop trolling.

Smh
(edited 6 years ago)
A* in maths at alevel- so yes i do find it piss, i dont need a*s in other 2 to show maths is easy

yes you do
yes you do

Lol another triggered tsr member
Lol another triggered tsr member

Lol another C grade attention lover

Quick Reply

Latest