The Student Room Group

ELAT 2017 (2018 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccabokka
I wrote about Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy (I compared these two a bit),Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire by Williams, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? By Albee and Death of a Salesman by Miller
I also mentioned poetry written by computers and the lecture I delivered on them and then used an Oscar Wilde quote from Picture of Dorian Gray.
You?

I did

Top Girls, Churchill
Wife of baths and Clerks tale Chaucer
Moral Fabillis Henryson translated by Heaney.
Maus Speigalman

Bacchae Euripides
Poetics Aristotle
Samson Agonistes
Richard II
Antony and Cleopatra
King Lear

Terrible sonnets, Gerard Manley Hopkins
Easter Wings and The Altar George Herbert
Ian Hamilton Finlay
The Waves V Woolf
portrait of an artist Joyce
Sylvia Plath
Reply 41
Original post by Confusedboutlife
B was the lobster ( Beckett) and C was the one from the invisible man! The paper didn't have Ulysses ( thank the heavens :wink:)

wow I suppose it was a different test then haha- I wrote it 8 hours after UK students would have (time difference) so I guess they choose different texts to deter cheating. Luckily for me the Ulysses excerpt was one of the more straightforward ones they could have chosen (thank god)
(edited 6 years ago)
I did

Top Girls, Churchill
Wife of baths and Clerks tale Chaucer
Moral Fabillis Henryson translated by Heaney.
Maus Speigalman

Bacchae Euripides
Poetics Aristotle
Samson Agonistes
Richard II
Antony and Cleopatra
King Lear

Terrible sonnets, Gerard Manley Hopkins
Easter Wings and The Altar George Herbert
Ian Hamilton Finlay
The Waves V Woolf
portrait of an artist Joyce
Sylvia Plath

Cripes, just naming all of those is almost 4000 characters in itself! How on earth did you fit them all in?:eek:
You’ve got a lot of revision to do:frown:
I’m reading a lot of new stuff because I know the texts I mentioned back to back so I’m hoping that I can link them to the new stuff and I’ll reread them closer to the date (should I get an interview ahaha, unlikely). I also mentioned ‘Du Maurier’s other work’, so I’m going to reread some of her other novels.

It never ends aha! Good job I love it!
Cripes, just naming all of those is almost 4000 characters in itself! How on earth did you fit them all in?:eek:
You’ve got a lot of revision to do:frown:
I’m reading a lot of new stuff because I know the texts I mentioned back to back so I’m hoping that I can link them to the new stuff and I’ll reread them closer to the date (should I get an interview ahaha, unlikely). I also mentioned ‘Du Maurier’s other work’, so I’m going to reread some of her other novels.

It never ends aha! Good job I love it!

It is basically all the reading I have done this year, I think I misunderstood what personal statements really want! It is a lot of revision, but I read the texts to supplement each other so I'm hoping it isn't too hard to remember them all! I've had a gap year and am going into my second, so I needed to show them I'd used it constructively. If I could go back in time I'd probably take a lot out.

The thing is is that I will not be able to talk about that many texts outside of my PS at interview. Also I've got a lot of poetry and the individual Canterbury tales/ Henryson's fables are very short, I don't have much prose
This is slightly late, but I did A (To The Immortal Memory of the Halibut, On Which I Dined This Day, Monday, April 26, 1784. William Cowper) and B (Dante and the Lobster, Samuel Beckett). Won't go into much detail with my essay but some of my points were along the lines of:

- Human status vs the status of food, and how the food's status is liquefied across the two pieces relative to the status of the human(s) eating it; characters are either elevated or fight for their right to be on top, then taking the role of 'beast' from the food
- Attitude towards eating and towards the food during its 'pre-food status,' discussion of when food truly becomes food explored in the ways the extracts and characters within them choose to look back on the animal.
- Glee vs guilt and religious tones, how the life of the halibut is imagined in A compared to the reality of the human's life surrounded in decay exists in B.

Even if I don't get an interview, it was a lot of fun to write!
Sounds incredible! Especially the first body paragraph. Gah all of you are so smart! (Don’t know what I expected aha)

Thanks for the reassurance haha :biggrin: Your essay also sounds amazing!
(edited 6 years ago)
I chose Eating Out and discussed the relationship one has with parental figures and how the poet related their experience of growing up to meals out. I mentioned the evolution of the meals, mussels being vagina-like thus representing birth, the French pastries representing the young stages of childhood, the lobster representing the move into adulthood, specifically manhood due to the ritualistic nature, the teacakes showing the old age of the parents. Commented on the double entendre of the title, one is the childhood view, one is her looking back as an adult. Basically said that the food represents her growth and her experiences of her parents, especially in the tearoom stanza with the authoritarian.

Compared this to Halibut by saying that we should care and be like mothers to the little people often forgotten in society- the halibut. The ocean is described in motherly terms- "cradle" so it shows that it is in our nature to care for people but we often fight against it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by leah_burns
I mentioned the evolution of the meals, mussels being vagina-like thus representing birth, the French pastries representing the young stages of childhood, the lobster representing the move into adulthood, specifically manhood due to the ritualistic nature, the teacakes showing the old age of the parents.

you must look at food very differently to me aha
I can’t unsee that!

All in all, your essay sounds great:smile: you had such interesting points!
you must look at food very differently to me aha
I can’t unsee that!

All in all, your essay sounds great:smile: you had such interesting points!

TBH I don't think I'll ever be able to eat mussels again after someone mentioned it to me once :frown:
How did everyone do? 50/60 and offer :smile:
Got 55/60 and got rejected post-interview. I’m honestly surprised with my ELAT since I was expecting to get 30+ haha
(edited 6 years ago)
I got 56, second language speaker, rejected post interview. Still waiting for feedback.
Which college :smile:? Congrats.
How did everyone do? 50/60 and offer :smile:
Got 40/60 and I’m actually really happy 😄 I was expecting around 20+ overall so I’m totally buzzing! Well, before I get my mock results back today... 😂 well done everyone!! 💙
I got 51/60 and rejected post interview
Original post by ScreamerOfStars
Got 55/60 and got rejected post-interview. I’m honestly surprised with my ELAT since I was expecting to get 30+ haha

That is extremely impressive!! What was your essay focus?
Original post by Lougracebear
I got 56, second language speaker, rejected post interview. Still waiting for feedback.

Original post by Lougracebear
Which college :smile:? Congrats.

wow, 56! I thought I was let in because of my ELAT because the rest of my application is sub-par. Offer from Johns :smile: You should be incredibly proud with 56, I could never get that.
Post A level applicant, got 57 and an unconditional offer from Merton :biggrin:

(I also thought it had gone horrendously and cried afterwards)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by amygracebroad
Post A level applicant, got 57 and an unconditional offer from Merton :biggrin:

(I also thought it had gone horrendously and cried afterwards)

That's impressive! I'm considering reapplication, I wonder whether you'd need a completely new personal statement and submit another essay ( er did you apply for English last year?) ? What about reference letter and stuff ?
wow, 56! I thought I was let in because of my ELAT because the rest of my application is sub-par. Offer from Johns :smile: You should be incredibly proud with 56, I could never get that.

Thank you! It did cheer me up a little but I can't help feeling bitter that I was rejected. Something must have gone wrong in my interviews, although I personally think I did pretty well. Actually I don't think elat matters after you get to the interview stage, so whether it's 56 or 50 doesn't really make a difference, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest