The Student Room Group

Further Maths Help

I have a test coming up in 2 days, (first year 12 fm exam) and i'm going over some questions but i'm realising that i am getting stuck on most problems, when i try to search for videos related to the topic most of them only cover simple problems and nothing much on the type of questions i'm getting (Im doing the new Edexcel syllabus 2017) . Does anyone have any other websites that i can try ?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps use the Edexcel Textbook questions and build your way up from there till you know how to do each type of question and use Solution Bank from Physics and Math Tutor to have a step by step solution to ones you struggle with.
(edited 6 years ago)
examsolutions.net I might be able to help, what's it on? (I'm year 13 doing OCR MEI, but tutoring yr 12s doing the new spec)
Reply 3
Original post by The-Hof123
examsolutions.net I might be able to help, what's it on? (I'm year 13 doing OCR MEI, but tutoring yr 12s doing the new spec)

Its on complex numbers i'm just struggling on finding roots of polynomials as a whole.
Is it fp1?
Original post by TJ149
Its on complex numbers i'm just struggling on finding roots of polynomials as a whole.

oh okay, just a sec.
Reply 7
Original post by S.H.Rahman
Perhaps use the Edexcel Textbook questions and build your way up from there till you know how to do each type of question and use Solution Bank from Physics and Math Tutor to have a step by step solution to ones you struggle with.

Thank you, i mean i understand the textbook but it only covers like the first 5 questions then i get stuck from there on, and sadly the solution bank hasn't fully been published so i'm not able to check.
or q9? image-db5a7dd5-22d4-4626-a84e-f8c7c16098d0359415484-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by TJ149
Thank you, i mean i understand the textbook but it only covers like the first 5 questions then i get stuck from there on, and sadly the solution bank hasn't fully been published so i'm not able to check.

Oh yes, you have the new spec :L

Then I'd advise using examsolutions.net perhaps:

https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/fp1-tutorials/
Reply 10
image-7ff69c76-6021-4ba9-80fd-afa4628f457f1796945271-compressed.jpg.jpeg

kind of like question 4. The question I'm looking at is q10
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TJ149
image-7ff69c76-6021-4ba9-80fd-afa4628f457f1796945271-compressed.jpg.jpeg
kind of like question 4. The question I'm looking at is q10

Edit: Oh I didn't read the Q 4 bit... D: lmao

9:
As you know one of the complex roots to the equation you should know that imaginary roots come in pairs called 'conjugate pairs'. This simply means if one of your roots is 'x +iy' then another one of your roots will have to be 'x -iy'. This is a rule for all imaginary roots.

If we apply this to the question this will mean we will have 2 of the roots to the quartic and so we can put this in the form (x - (root1))( x -(root2) and expand. From here we can divide our original equation by this to get a quadratic we can solve!.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by S.H.Rahman
As you know one of the complex roots to the equation you should know that imaginary roots come in pairs called 'conjugate pairs'. This simply means if one of your roots is 'x +iy' then another one of your roots will have to be 'x -iy'. This is a rule for all imaginary roots.

If we apply this to the question this will mean we will have 2 of the roots to the quartic and so we can put this in the form (x - (root1))( x -(root2) and expand. From here we can divide our original equation by this to get a quadratic we can solve!.

I get that part but i don't get how i incorporate the information about the roots are a, 4/a and a+4/a+1 in question 10
(edited 6 years ago)
image-a0c33935-14cc-4cb2-bbe2-69798cb1670a-5054779-compressed.jpg.jpeg that's where I've got to so far. found 2 solutions to what alpha is. then you plug it back in to your equation to see which one will work. (one of them will fail (hopefully))
Reply 14
image-a0c33935-14cc-4cb2-bbe2-69798cb1670a-5054779-compressed.jpg.jpeg that's where I've got to so far. found 2 solutions to what alpha is. then you plug it back in to your equation to see which one will work. (one of them will fail (hopefully))

ahh i see what you did now, thank you very much.
from there, do that: image-5d7261d2-17f0-4257-9f87-9719f6319fdc151280034-compressed.jpg.jpeg
What the picture says :smile: image-d991942b-288c-426b-bcd9-c091eeeae7951406215812-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Reply 17
or q9? image-db5a7dd5-22d4-4626-a84e-f8c7c16098d0359415484-compressed.jpg.jpeg

For Q9 because the quartic if has real coefficients this means that if a complex number z is a root, then it's complex conjugate z* is also a root - so you have essentially been told all 4 roots of the quartic so you can very adult find the constants you're looking for.
Original post by B_9710
For Q9 because the quartic if has real coefficients this means that if a complex number z is a root, then it's complex conjugate z* is also a root - so you have essentially been told all 4 roots of the quartic so you can very adult find the constants you're looking for.

That'd be why it's only 2 marks XD

Then I need your help cos I’m doing the new spec for MEI

Quick Reply

Latest