The Student Room Group

Are my gcse's good enough for medicine?

Hi, so I want to do medicine but my gcse's are kinda rubbish. The A levels I'm taking are chemistry, biology, physics and EPQ.
These are my gcse's

REP - A*
Media - Distinction* (does this count as an A*, as it is a BTEC?)
Double science - AA
Photography - A
ICT - A
English language - 7
English literature - 6
Maths - 6
Music - B

What universities should I definitely avoid? And are there any that don't look at GCSE's as much?
Reply 1
Original post by infernogames
Hi, so I want to do medicine but my gcse's are kinda rubbish. The A levels I'm taking are chemistry, biology, physics and EPQ.
These are my gcse's

REP - A*
Media - Distinction* (does this count as an A*, as it is a BTEC?)
Double science - AA
Photography - A
ICT - A
English language - 7
English literature - 6
Maths - 6
Music - B

What universities should I definitely avoid? And are there any that don't look at GCSE's as much?

Come on... all it takes is a simple google search.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements

By the looks of it, I think you should avoid Birmingham and Oxford.
(edited 6 years ago)

I've already looked at that. But I feel like generally people applying for medicine have amazing gcse results, so I was asking if I have a chance compared to people who have achieved much higher results.
Reply 3
Original post by infernogames
I've already looked at that. But I feel like generally people applying for medicine have amazing gcse results, so I was asking if I have a chance compared to people who have achieved much higher results.

Yes you do have a chance. In non-heavy GCSE universities, GCSEs only play a small part in your overall application. What's more important is having relevant work experience/volunteering and extra-curriculars which demonstrate interest in the medical field.

AS exams are important, because how well you do in them will determine your predicted grade (you don't want to end up being predicted a B in one subject, since offers for medicine tend to be AAA or above).

Student 1:
14 A*s at GCSE
A*AA prediction
Lack of work experience
Poor interview

Student 2:
Your GCSE grades
A*A*A prediction
Plenty of extracurriculars and a really good PS
Good interview

Student 2 is more likely to get an offer.
Original post by Baaah
Yes you do have a chance. In non-heavy GCSE universities, GCSEs only play a small part in your overall application. What's more important is having relevant work experience/volunteering and extra-curriculars which demonstrate interest in the medical field.

AS exams are important, because how well you do in them will determine your predicted grade (you don't want to end up being predicted a B in one subject, since offers for medicine tend to be AAA or above).

Student 1:
14 A*s at GCSE
A*AA prediction
Lack of work experience
Poor interview

Student 2:
Your GCSE grades
A*A*A prediction
Plenty of extracurriculars and a really good PS
Good interview

Student 2 is more likely to get an offer.

Ah okay, thank you :smile:
Reply 5
No you need alevel hehehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending