The Student Room Group

Girlfriend moving to Asia for 2 years. Can the relationship survive?

I've been with my girlfriend for the past 18 months. However, this time next year, she is moving to Asia for 2 years to fulfil the requirement of a government scholarship she has been receiving to fund her degree. We are currently both PhD students, working together and seeing each other pretty much every day.

Even though we are very close, I don't know how realistic it will be to maintain the relationship during this period, especially given our current situation. Her home country is a 10 hour flight away so I would hardy be able to see her in this time. I'm also worried that if we make it through the 2 years, she might decide to stay there afterwards instead of returning to the U.K. With this in mind, I could really do with some advice.....
Dump her, get some other girls and maybe message her after 2 years. It's not worth waiting for her.
Relationships can work long-distance if you put in the effort. It won't be the same. Most people who say LDRs don't work say that because they give up when it gets tough. As long as you communicate really well and constantly talk about your feelings you'll be fine. If you love her and she loves you, you'll be willing to put in the effort to keep your relationship going.
Yu woried shi mite liek sum asain dik?
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my girlfriend for the past 18 months. However, this time next year, she is moving to Asia for 2 years to fulfil the requirement of a government scholarship she has been receiving to fund her degree. We are currently both PhD students, working together and seeing each other pretty much every day.

Even though we are very close, I don't know how realistic it will be to maintain the relationship during this period, especially given our current situation. Her home country is a 10 hour flight away so I would hardy be able to see her in this time. I'm also worried that if we make it through the 2 years, she might decide to stay there afterwards instead of returning to the U.K. With this in mind, I could really do with some advice.....

here are my tips for making a long distance relationship work:

1) first of all, before either of you move away, establish whether she plans to return. If there is no definite end date on the long distance- and you enter an LDR not knowing when or if youll ever live near each other again- then its going to be 1000000000times harder for you

2) think to yourself- is this person worth waiting for? In other words, do you want to spend, perhaps, the rest of your life with them? if not, then you need to do some thinking

3) you need to understand that LDRs are not entirely bad. You can really cherish phone calls and your conversations more

4) if you dont trust her, it simply isnt going to work

5) make sure she knows youll be faithful. always make sure the other knows how each other feels. communication is PARAMOUNT

6) make time to skype/facetime as well as call /message each other. but dont overdo it. dont expect messages each second of the day

7) take the time apart to focus on yourself as well

8) have a long hard think about it and then, go to her with a list of things you want to say, and if you want to try the LDR thing, and decide she is worth that investment of time to you, then have a HONEST long talk about feelings, plans, boundaries, etc, BEFORE she leaves

I hope this helps?

EDIT: I really want to stress the final point. I made the mistake of not having a long talk with my significant other, prior to us entering a long distance relationship, and within a few days he took two girls to a club and bought them drinks etc. communication is so important and i wish id known it beforehand
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JDieMstr
Yu woried shi mite liek sum asain dik?

lol
Reply 6
No defiantly not two years? That's like half my entire life
Reply 7

A full 2 years away in Asia?

she gonna be getting some wang from Wang if you catch my drift...

Which Asian country is she from? And are you White British? It may seem like this doesn't matter but honestly being asian myself, and in a relationship with a white british guy in a similar situation I can pretty much tell you whether she would like you guys to move or stay in the UK depending on cultural practice etc.
Reply 9
Which Asian country is she from? And are you White British? It may seem like this doesn't matter but honestly being asian myself, and in a relationship with a white british guy in a similar situation I can pretty much tell you whether she would like you guys to move or stay in the UK depending on cultural practice etc.

I'm white british and she's from China. Do you think she would end up staying after going back to her home country after 2 years? The trouble is that I don't have a crystal ball so can't really make predictions. If she's in a settled job, with friends and family back home after the 2 years, I'm thinking it would be a big commitment for her to leave that all behind regardless of how strong we are atm.
Why are you all so mean and making jokes...? I think it can survive. If the love is real. If she does not want go back to U.K. you should go to her. Don't ever give up on love. Go. **** the country you live in if you are with her <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending