The Student Room Group

A Level Choices??

I’m really not sure what to pick for my third A level. I am definitely doing English lit and psychology (any info about these courses would be good), but cannot decide between biology or history as my final option. I’ve always been quite good at both; history is one of my favourite subjects and biology is my favourite science. While I think biology and psychology go well together, English lit and history probably do too. I’m really stuck as to what to choose, so any info about those a levels e.g. the workload, revision and difficulty would be super helpful!
What do you want to do at uni? If you are interested in studying something, that is related to English literature, do history as it is an essay-based subject.
Reply 2
Original post by sophie080802
I’m really not sure what to pick for my third A level. I am definitely doing English lit and psychology (any info about these courses would be good), but cannot decide between biology or history as my final option. I’ve always been quite good at both; history is one of my favourite subjects and biology is my favourite science. While I think biology and psychology go well together, English lit and history probably do too. I’m really stuck as to what to choose, so any info about those a levels e.g. the workload, revision and difficulty would be super helpful!

yeah I used to love Bio at high school but absolutely hated it at college. That's not to say that you wont love it though, the content was super interesting but my exam board (WJEC Eduqas was a nightmare)

History and Bio are actually really similar in the sense that they are very content heavy; lots of facts for Bio and Dates/Names etc for history. History was really different to GCSE in the sense that, especially in the British unit, it was heavily orientated around politics - which I didn't like. But the American unit was amazing, conversely.

Overall, whats going to get you through A Levels is the enjoyment and love of subjects. I loved chem and spanish so revised them, but hated bio and just couldn't motivate myself to study (still got a B tho ayyy) so, go for the one you enjoy more if you dont have a particular degree/career field in mind.
Reply 3
I recon in terms of workload English and History would be more because of the reading lists and it’s all essay based and both have coursework, so that could easily make it more work - but biology and psychology go suuuper well together too. Another thing to consider is that Biology can be taken more seriously by unis than psychology a lot so it might even be an option to switch out psychology for biology ??! all good subjects though x

Quick Reply

Latest