The Student Room Group

Politics course at target uni or economics related course at semi target

Hello all, I am currently in year 13 getting ready to send off my UCAS application, once I have graduated I aim to enter front office investment banking. I currently study Economics, history and Government and Politics and i am predicted 3 A’s.
With these grades I can get into all target unis bar oxbridge (LSE,UCL and Warwick) for a Politics course or go to a semi target such as Nottingham or Durham and study accounting and finance. I enjoy both subjects and I will be equally happy in studying either. However I was wondering which gives me the best career prospects in investment banking? And outside of investment banking ( though this would be a backup plan)
thanks in advance for your responses
For whatever career, the better ranked the university, the better your chances are. It's really that simple.

Also, stick to as traditional a subject as you can. I'd be a bit wary of an accounting degree.
If you like business, economics finance, you can always apply to business programs at UCL, LSE, Warwick. All three have programmes without the need for A-level maths
Banks are increasingly saying they are interested in candidates that do not study the usual Economics/Maths, so Politics could be good. But definitely I would say from a university point of view:

LSE
Warwick
UCL

If you need a back up plan (IMO, you should be looking at back up plans whilst simultaneously applying for IBD internships or spring weeks), they you should look at other divisions within Banks such as middle-office (Risk) or back office. There's a ton of opportunities within these firms so this 'IBD or nothing' approach is pointless
Original post by BusMan21

If you need a back up plan (IMO, you should be looking at back up plans whilst simultaneously applying for IBD internships or spring weeks), they you should look at other divisions within Banks such as middle-office (Risk) or back office. There's a ton of opportunities within these firms so this 'IBD or nothing' approach is pointless

There is no IBD or nothing approach I clearly asked which would give me the best career prospects within and outside of banking.
Original post by DiligentBop
There is no IBD or nothing approach I clearly asked which would give me the best career prospects within and outside of banking.

But you originally said:
Original post by DiligentBop
I was wondering which gives me the best career prospects in investment banking? And outside of investment banking

I said:

Busman21
you should look at other divisions within Banks such as middle-office (Risk) or back office. There's a ton of opportunities within these firms so this 'IBD or nothing' approach is pointless

I can re-word:
IBD is only one division of a Bank, so if you're also willing to consider other business areas, (such as middle or back office) then this should be considered as part of your back-up plan, if IBD is your main preference.
Reply 6
Original post by EagleLegal
For whatever career, the better ranked the university, the better your chances are. It's really that simple.

Also, stick to as traditional a subject as you can. I'd be a bit wary of an accounting degree.

Plain wrong - numerous A+F guys at top IB places who haven't faced issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending