The Student Room Group

17 and I don't drink

I mainly don't drink because i am on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I know i can drink, but it just isnt worth it.

Honestly, i'd would rather spend time with someone (relationship wise), take long walks, go places instead of getting drunk every weekend in clubs/bars.

When i tell someome i don't drink they act all surprised and say 'aw why?' and i'm like; im on blood thinners and they go 'oh, isn't that medication for older people'..yeah that makes me feel brilliant m8..

Idk, i'd rather be aware of my surroundings and what i'm doing instead of embarassing myself for the sake of it.

I'm not some anti social nerd that doesnt talk to anyone - i just have a hard time finding a girlfriend or a group of mates that dont want to get smashed every weekend..

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

I know two people who don't drink simply because they don't like the taste of alcohol.

As for the friends/girlfriend issue, that is really tough. You seem to have two options: either drink coke and get "giddy" on that, and try and have fun and your friends when drunk won't notice. OR, go out on the hunt for new friends. It's not easy, and I sympathise, but you will find that many young people are not into getting hammered, it's not that rare.
really doesnt matter, if people give a massive **** about it then they shouldnt really be your friends, i drink, quite a lot- but i have many friends who dont and idm
Honestly not a big deal that you don't drink. And it's not at all surprising that you get reactions like that, especially at your age. Where drinking is really becoming a thing and it's still a bit taboo as you're not legally allowed to go out drinking yet.

You will find people who either similar to you do not drink, or who do but will not pressure you into drinking or treat you differently. It just may take time, or a change of scenery. Especially at your age.

However please don't think everyone who drinks goes out clubbing and gets smashed every weekend. You're lumping all drinkers into one category with that sentiment. Just as I'm sure you wouldn't want to be lumped into a "boring" category for not drinking, many of us drinkers don't like to be lumped into the irresponsible constant party goers category. I drink because I like the taste of many different drinks and mixes. Rarely get drunk.
Original post by xdmccann
I mainly don't drink because i am on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I know i can drink, but it just isnt worth it.

So, if you can drink, what do the blood thinners have to do with it?
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly not a big deal that you don't drink. And it's not at all surprising that you get reactions like that, especially at your age. Where drinking is really becoming a thing and it's still a bit taboo as you're not legally allowed to go out drinking yet.

You will find people who either similar to you do not drink, or who do but will not pressure you into drinking or treat you differently. It just may take time, or a change of scenery. Especially at your age.

However please don't think everyone who drinks goes out clubbing and gets smashed every weekend. You're lumping all drinkers into one category with that sentiment. Just as I'm sure you wouldn't want to be lumped into a "boring" category for not drinking, many of us drinkers don't like to be lumped into the irresponsible constant party goers category. I drink because I like the taste of many different drinks and mixes. Rarely get drunk.

I didn't specifically say that ALL drinkers get smashed every weekend - i said that i find it hard to find people who DONT want to get smashed every weekend

Seriously though, if you really get that triggered and stuck up about a comment on a forum you should stay off the internet
I didn't specifically say that ALL drinkers get smashed every weekend - i said that i find it hard to find people who DONT want to get smashed every weekend

Seriously though, if you really get that triggered and stuck up about a comment on a forum you should stay off the internet

Your second sentence just made it seem you think that's what drinking is all about.

But lol okay, chill out. :lol:

Think I found a reason you may be struggling to make friends...
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So, if you can drink, what do the blood thinners have to do with it?

Seriously?
Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Your OP is quite contradictory. You say it's because of the blood thinners, but then that you can drink anyway, and then that you have other reasons for not wanting to drink...
Reply 9
Original post by SophieSmall
Your second sentence just made it seem you think that's what drinking is all about.

But lol okay, chill out. :lol:

Think I found a reason you may be struggling to make friends...

You don't know me - its not my fault your not able to read a sentence & i am not STRUGGLING to 'make friends' can you not read a sentence and not take it out of context?
Reply 10
Be proud you don’t drink.
Reply 11
Yes, seriously. Your OP is quite contradictory. You say it's because of the blood thinners, but then that you can drink anyway, and then that you have other reasons for not wanting to drink...

You clearly don't know how blood thinners work and how alcohol can affect and put people off drinking - nice try for a smart comment tho
You clearly don't know how blood thinners work and how alcohol can affect and put people off drinking - nice try for a smart comment tho

I don't have much of an idea, no. That's why I was asking.

I am finding you to be quite an odd individual, if I'm honest.
Reply 13
I don't have much of an idea, no. That's why I was asking.

I am finding you to be quite an odd individual, if I'm honest.

Then there's your answer
I'm 19 and don't drink and honestly I've been to clubs/ parties/pub crawls/ 'birthday' drinks with friends and had just as much fun as the rest of them, luckily my friends are genuinely decent human beings and like me for who I am and respect that we each make our own decisions and support each other with them, even if everyone else had a problem id politely tell them to piss off(out loud if im feeling corageous) in my head and continue to do my own thing.
they should respect it's your decision to make and you're entitled to it, no one else. even if it's not for health reasons.
As for a girlfriend/boyfriend, it will happen eventually to all of us, as others have said accepting and decent friends will too, take it from someone else who is a socially awkward anxious human who at 19 has only just found friends i am 100% myself with.
you sound pretty cool, it will be okay :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
yeah you can drink water, soft drinks, red bull at clubs/bars be fine look like mixers
Reply 16
Have to get on the disco biscuits instead
In Canada, drinking is legalized at 19 but people drink before then obviously. I'm 19 and I don't drink either. I think I've gone for drinks or had drinks at a party like four times only after I turned legal. It's not appealing to me at all. It tastes horrible, impairs your judgement and gives you a headache after. My friends always say "its not about the taste its about the destination", I don't get it though. Why would I drink gross liquid to be sloppy?

Honestly, i'd would rather spend time with someone (relationship wise), take long walks, go places instead of getting drunk every weekend in clubs/bars.

When i tell someome i don't drink they act all surprised and say 'aw why?' and i'm like; im on blood thinners and they go 'oh, isn't that medication for older people'..yeah that makes me feel brilliant m8..

Idk, i'd rather be aware of my surroundings and what i'm doing instead of embarassing myself for the sake of it.

I'm not some anti social nerd that doesnt talk to anyone - i just have a hard time finding a girlfriend or a group of mates that dont want to get smashed every weekend..

Opinions?

Opinions? You seem normal enough to me. None of what you said implies you're a terrorist or iffy individual in anyway. Carry on.
Reply 19
Original post by Laomedeia
Opinions? You seem normal enough to me. None of what you said implies you're a terrorist or iffy individual in anyway. Carry on.

You're 30 years of age..your still on these forums because?..sad really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending