Kendrick :wink:
J Cole
Nas
Lil Dicky
Future
Migos
Eminem

:s-smilie: too many "lils" and "yungs" for me to keep up with these days

I just can't rate drill rap or trap. Love Nas and J.
Don't like Em but of course he can rap.

You're entitled to your opinion though. So I'm just gonna...sit down, be humble. 😜

Listen to A tribe called RED's song R.E.D. please :colondollar: 🔥🔥
[video="youtube;QjTOYckTKZs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjTOYckTKZs[/video]
Reply 23
Original post by Salt Queen
:s-smilie: too many "lils" and "yungs" for me to keep up with these days

I just can't rate drill rap or trap. Love Nas and J.
Don't like Em but of course he can rap.

You're entitled to your opinion though. So I'm just gonna...sit down, be humble. 😜

Listen to A tribe called RED's song R.E.D. please :colondollar: 🔥🔥

PRSOM

I liked the song.... funky beat and hot lyrics.
Peppa pig omd, dead

Original post by eden3
PRSOM

I liked the song.... funky beat and hot lyrics.

Yay!!! I only like stuff like that if it's American. Soul rap kinda stuff. Why I actually rated Cant Hold us by Macklemore :colondollar: And Tyler the creator. 💖 he's always on the over hype.
Grime always had influences in both US and UK hip hop in terms of its vocals and the beats were an offshoot of garage, jungle and DnB, but most of it coming out nowadays isn't even grime anymore, it's just a British take on trap. There was a bit of a resurgence a few years ago with everyone coming out with old style instrumentals, but even that style is dead again now.

Not that US hip hop is up to much these days, either. Both genres are heavily lacking atm.
***** what the **** is grime lmao sounds like what i clean off of plates after dinner.
My favourite Grime artist is Vanilla Ice and my favourite rapper is Jessie J
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Grime always had influences in both US and UK hip hop in terms of its vocals and the beats were an offshoot of garage, jungle and DnB, but most of it coming out nowadays isn't even grime anymore, it's just a British take on trap. There was a bit of a resurgence a few years ago with everyone coming out with old style instrumentals, but even that style is dead again now.

It has mostly always been a British take on Hip-Hop imo (especially 05 onward), I agree over the past few years it has sounded like Trap more, but I wouldn't say it's a sudden shift away from Grime to a US Hip-Hop sound, it's a continuation of making Hip-Hop, but as Trap has become more popular over there that's the trend they've followed. There is too much of it though.

Not that US hip hop is up to much these days, either. Both genres are heavily lacking atm.

I agree that Grime is but I don't think Hip-Hop is, I think I could name 10 excellent albums from Hip-Hop over the past few years and I don't even follow it that much any more (but I need to check this), whereas I would struggle to name five from Grime. Godfather and Konnichiwa at a push?
Original post by Texxers
Which do you prefer, English Grime or American Rap?

And don't be a cheeky ******* and say "neither" or "both". Also if you don't say Grime you might want to check yourself into a mental asylum.... :smug:

unfortunately these no longer exist in our country; they are all turned into luxury flats for 40 something hipsters.
Reply 31
Grime is basically UK hip hop anyway. Just that Grime has a faster tempo and is a bit more hard hitting than UK hip hop but they're all in a similar genre. It's why it's so easy for you to get collaborations between UK grime artists and US artists that work well.

Original post by Salt Queen
😂 Lol that was so horrible but people actually rate that...grime back then was much better lyrically than grime today.

You do realise that it's a parody?

Original post by It's****ingWOODY

Agree, the past few years have been pretty trash for US hip hop. Grime's/UK hip hop has had a resurgence but it's mainly just hits. For both Genre's theres about 5 artists tops that I'll download an album for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27

You do realise that it's a parody?

You do realise that it's my opinion?

But more to the point is grime lyrically failing nowadays yes or no?
Original post by the bear
unfortunately these no longer exist in our country; they are all turned into luxury flats for 40 something hipsters.

😂😂 gentrification :angry:
Today honestly American rap is pretty garbage

We have rappers like lil pump and future showing that you don't even have to be good to rap.
US Hip-Hop is as good as its ever been. The 2010s have been great so far.
Reply 36
Original post by zKlown
Just quoted you to let you know this thread has me cringing.

How old are you?

I'm 17
Reply 37
Original post by Texxers
I'm 17

Makes sense
Reply 38
Original post by Wilfred Little
It has mostly always been a British take on Hip-Hop imo (especially 05 onward), I agree over the past few years it has sounded like Trap more, but I wouldn't say it's a sudden shift away from Grime to a US Hip-Hop sound, it's a continuation of making Hip-Hop, but as Trap has become more popular over there that's the trend they've followed. There is too much of it though.

I agree that Grime is but I don't think Hip-Hop is, I think I could name 10 excellent albums from Hip-Hop over the past few years and I don't even follow it that much any more (but I need to check this), whereas I would struggle to name five from Grime. Godfather and Konnichiwa at a push?

Haven't rated anything Wiley has done since like 09 (or whenever he released Race Against Time) and I didn't listen to Konnichiwa.

I can't name a grime release that I would class as "excellent" for a very long time. Maybe Money Over Everyone by P Money.

Did you follow the Dot Rotten and P Money diss tracks btw? That's the best grime music I've heard all year.

With regards to Hip-Hop, the best recent albums I've heard are Joey Badass's second album, Tetsuo & Youth by Lupe Fiasco, anything by Kendrick and Compton by Dr Dre.

Off the top of my head that is.
Original post by zKlown
Haven't rated anything Wiley has done since like 09 (or whenever he released Race Against Time) and I didn't listen to Konnichiwa.

Godfather was really good and deserved all the positive reviews imo. Konnichiwa could have been great if Skepta just made a few simple changes, like taking that phone call off. It has no place on an album. Stormzy did something similar on his, it's pointless and the album would not lose quality if you take it off.

I can't name a grime release that I would class as "excellent" for a very long time. Maybe Money Over Everyone by P Money.

That was pretty good yeah. Had like three or four really good tracks (Left The Room, If Mans Talking, Look How Many are the ones that stand out from memory). But some bad moments, excusable though as it was a mixtape.

Did you follow the Dot Rotten and P Money diss tracks btw? That's the best grime music I've heard all year.

Only what got posted on the Grime thread on here, I think Steak Bake was my favourite but I'd need to listen again as I only heard it once.

With regards to Hip-Hop, the best recent albums I've heard are Joey Badass's second album, Tetsuo & Youth by Lupe Fiasco, anything by Kendrick and Compton by Dr Dre.

Off the top of my head that is.

Mello Music put out a lot of good stuff. Then you have Run The Jewels, Oddisee who I mentioned before, Danny Brown (my favourite of the current rappers) Compton was great as you say. Can Ox dropped a new album. Shabazz Palaces, Elzhi, Ghostface have all released strong albums. There has been loads of stuff over the past couple of years.

Quick Reply

Latest