The Student Room Group

Left uni, don't understand what I need to pay back

Hello,

I could really use some advice as I'm currently very stressed out. Last week I left uni for personal reasons and am now having to consider the financial implications. I have called Student Finance but I didn't understand much from our phone call. I have an overpayment of £800, and I don't understand what that is, why I have to pay it, or when it needs to be paid for. I also would imagine I need to pay back part of my maintenance loan and my loan for tuition fees, but again I don't understand how much. The lady on the phone quoted me at nearly 4k, and I don't understand where that figure is coming from as I was only at uni for a month. I'm getting really stressed out because I have no idea where I'm going to get all this money from. The uni aren't being helpful at all and they haven't even put my accommodation status as withdrawn yet, which is making me worry that I'm going to have to pay for an entire week that I havne't even been there for.

I have no idea what to do.
£4K is a bit much but Student Finance has given your university a lump sum of money (maybe they have given 4K over already, idk) that they won't get back probably, so want you to foot the bill. You will still have to pay something though for doing a month as you still used their resources and time in that month.
I'd give your finance another ring and ask them to explain all those terms to you and work out what exactly you have to pay and maybe dispute this £4K that they're asking of you. And ring your university and be stern with them, keep hassling them until they change your accommodation status so you don't get charged and try to have them explain to you about this bill you have to pay.

Original post by vanderwoodsen
Hello,

I could really use some advice as I'm currently very stressed out. Last week I left uni for personal reasons and am now having to consider the financial implications. I have called Student Finance but I didn't understand much from our phone call. I have an overpayment of £800, and I don't understand what that is, why I have to pay it, or when it needs to be paid for. I also would imagine I need to pay back part of my maintenance loan and my loan for tuition fees, but again I don't understand how much. The lady on the phone quoted me at nearly 4k, and I don't understand where that figure is coming from as I was only at uni for a month. I'm getting really stressed out because I have no idea where I'm going to get all this money from. The uni aren't being helpful at all and they haven't even put my accommodation status as withdrawn yet, which is making me worry that I'm going to have to pay for an entire week that I havne't even been there for.

Original post by hannxm
£4K is a bit much but Student Finance has given your university a lump sum of money (maybe they have given 4K over already, idk) that they won't get back probably, so want you to foot the bill. You will still have to pay something though for doing a month as you still used their resources and time in that month.
I'd give your finance another ring and ask them to explain all those terms to you and work out what exactly you have to pay and maybe dispute this £4K that they're asking of you. And ring your university and be stern with them, keep hassling them until they change your accommodation status so you don't get charged and try to have them explain to you about this bill you have to pay.

Thanks so much for your reply. I spoke to the uni finance department and they told me that I don't owe them anything for my tuition because I withdrew before the deadline. I just spoke to accommodation and they've told me that because of the time I withdrew, I'm going to owe them around 2k. So I'm really confused as to where this figure of nearly 4k has come from. I also don't understand the overpayment fee, I have no idea what I'm being charged that for?
Hello,

Hi vanderwoodsen,

If you have withdrawn from your course your university will notify Student Finance of a withdrawal date and the amount that they are charging you for tuition fees for the time that you were in attendance.
If you received your first Maintenance Loan payment for term 1 and you withdrew prior to term 2 (January) you will have a loan overpayment as your are only entitled to funding for the time you were on the course. Student Finance will send you a letter once they have processed your withdrawal from the university confirming the amount of loan overpayment and advise of the options on repaying.
I would suggest that you contact your university directly to discuss with them the situation with your accommodation

Thanks

Louise
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi vanderwoodsen,

If you have withdrawn from your course your university will notify Student Finance of a withdrawal date and the amount that they are charging you for tuition fees for the time that you were in attendance.
If you received your first Maintenance Loan payment for term 1 and you withdrew prior to term 2 (January) you will have a loan overpayment as your are only entitled to funding for the time you were on the course. Student Finance will send you a letter once they have processed your withdrawal from the university confirming the amount of loan overpayment and advise of the options on repaying.
I would suggest that you contact your university directly to discuss with them the situation with your accommodation

Thanks

Louise

Hi, I have spoken to my uni and I owe them around 2k, not the 4k that was quoted, do you have any idea how I can get this figure sorted out? And I was also wondering if you could help explain the overpayment - I'm not sure why I'm paying this and why it is so immediate that it be paid?
Hi, I have spoken to my uni and I owe them around 2k, not the 4k that was quoted, do you have any idea how I can get this figure sorted out? And I was also wondering if you could help explain the overpayment - I'm not sure why I'm paying this and why it is so immediate that it be paid?

Hi vanerwoodsen,

When they confirm the withdrawal officially and they will do this electronically we will be able to reassess the application for the correct amount of fees being charged and pro rata the funding you received up until the withdrawal date.

You can then speak to the repayments team regarding any over-payment and come to an arrangement to repay.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending