The Student Room Group

How does accepting uni offers work?

Say you get a conditional offer for AB grades, but I only achieved BB and had accepted their offer. What would happen there? Would I still be able to get into one of my other lower choices, or would I be screwed?

This is probably a really obvious question but I really have no idea.. thank you!
It depends on how many people they offered places to. If not everyone met their AB requirements then they would give out confirmations to people like you who missed it by one or two to fill up their places. But if they reject you hopefully you can get into your insurance.

Side note - aren't you missing a grade?
Original post by DrawTheLine
It depends on how many people they offered places to. If not everyone met their AB requirements then they would give out confirmations to people like you who missed it by one or two to fill up their places. But if they reject you hopefully you can get into your insurance.

Side note - aren't you missing a grade?

Hey @fabstrawberry

DrawTheLine has given you a good answer there. :smile:

When you have accepted your offers, you then choose a firm and an insurance. It's really important to make sure your insurance choice's requirements are lower than your firm just in case the senario you described happens.

But as DrawTheLine said, if there are spaces on the course and your grades are only slighly lower than the requirements then the likelihood is that they'll be able to confirm your place on the course.

Any questions, give me a shout :biggrin:

Chris - NTU Rep
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
This might be a good video for you watch about accepting university offers:

[video="youtube;qvvF7-5SIJ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8[/video]
Thanks for the replies guys. So say all of my choices gave me conditional offers, I'd then have to pick just 2, a main one and a backup?
When is the deadline for picking?
Original post by fabstrawberry
Thanks for the replies guys. So say all of my choices gave me conditional offers, I'd then have to pick just 2, a main one and a backup?

Yeah you firm one, make one your insurance and reject the other 3. UCAS track will tell you the deadline. I want to say it's 4th May for most universities but I could be wrong. I think that's what it was for me.
Reply 6
Original post by fabstrawberry

The deadline for choosing your firm and insurance depends when you get all of your replies.

If you receive all of your replies by 31st March, you must reply by 2nd May.

If you receive your replies by 3rd May, you must reply by 7th June.

If you receive your replies by 7th June, you must reply by 21st June (this one only applies to late/Extra applicants).
Reply 7
Hi can somebody answer this...What if you put your favourite as your firm choice that is 104 UCAS Points (which is quite low) and all the other unis you have applied for are 112 UCAS Points, what do you do about your insurance???
Reply 8
Original post by maisie31
Hi can somebody answer this...What if you put your favourite as your firm choice that is 104 UCAS Points (which is quite low) and all the other unis you have applied for are 112 UCAS Points, what do you do about your insurance???

You can either not have an insurance and go straight into Clearing if you miss your firm, or you pick an insurance that has higher requirements - and then they will consider your application, and if you're unsuccessful you'll go to Clearing. Unis cann accept some students who miss their offers, so if you have a higher insurance it's possible you'll still get a lace. You can check out the tariff points that students actually obtained on UniStats.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
You can either not have an insurance and go straight into Clearing if you miss your firm, or you pick an insurance that has higher requirements - and then they will consider your application, and if you're unsuccessful you'll go to Clearing. Unis cann accept some students who miss their offers, so if you have a higher insurance it's possible you'll still get a lace. You can check out the tariff points that students actually obtained on UniStats.

Perfect! Thanks for the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending