The Student Room Group

Type of Oxbridge student?

If this was an interview question:

3 students were asked how long it took to cook a turkey in an oven.

The first, calculated the answer using complex physics formula's , taking into account the turkey's weight, mass, density, amount of water, heat from the oven ..etc.

The second went out and bought a turkey, put it in the oven, waited until the turkey was done and then wrote down how long it took.

The third called his mother and asked her.

What type of student would Oxbridge be looking for?
I’d say the second one. They aren’t necessarily looking for a know-it-all (though getting good grades is essential to get into Oxbridge), but rather they are probably looking for someone who shows initiative and isn’t afraid to go out of their way to test something and come to a conclusion through experiment. Just my thoughts idk, how about you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Depends on the subject, but the admissions tutors would almost certainly not leave it at that. Student one might arrive at an answer, and then be told that in actuality, the time was different; the tutor might then ask them to come up with an explanation for why the times were different.

Student two might be asked to consider how a shop could put a recommended cooking time on all of its turkeys, given that there are a number of variables, before being asked to consider the merits of generalising results of experiment into theories.

Student three would probably then be set another condition that they are home alone, and the telephone/internet router is broken.

This reminds me of a story of a student pilot flying at night, when the instructor turns off all the lights, saying to the student: "your lighting's broken - what do you do?". The student pulls a torch out of their pocket, and says "I use my torch!". The instructor grabs the torch, says "your batteries are flat - what do you do?"; the student pulls out another torch, and says "I use my other torch!". The instructor grabs the torch, declares its bulb broken, and the student pulls out a third torch. At this point, the instructor tells the student that all of their torches are broken, and asks them what they would do.

The student declares, "I'll use this glowstick!".

The point I'm making is that there are multiple ways to solve one problem, and it is this ability that Oxbridge tutors tend to look for, as it give evidence of independent thought. They're not looking for people to regurgitate the thoughts and statements of others, they're looking for originality. Oxford want "independent thinkers", and as such aren't looking for a student who answers a question in a specific way. Far more important is the ability of the student to think through the problem and find a solution, whatever it may be.
Original post by Jatin101
If this was an interview question:

3 students were asked how long it took to cook a turkey in an oven.

The first, calculated the answer using complex physics formula's , taking into account the turkey's weight, mass, density, amount of water, heat from the oven ..etc.

The second went out and bought a turkey, put it in the oven, waited until the turkey was done and then wrote down how long it took.

The third called his mother and asked her.

I think Oxbridge will take all three students. This is because all three have distinct ways of solving the problems and Oxbridge want to encourage different perspectives.

The first one clearly shows an ability to use complex ideas to result in a solution to a problem based on parameters.

The second one clearly follows a straight path of solving the problem by repeating the exercise to get the solution.

The third one cut the time short by thinking of the quickest way to solve the problem. Hence, calling their mother.

I don't think Oxbridge wants the same type of student. If so, they would just go for top kids at Eton, Rugby or Shrewbury school.
I'd google it...
It wouldn't be about the chosen method. It would be about your ability to defend your method, to elucidate it, to compare it and to think about it.

Oh and I would be number #3. :teehee:
Reply 6
i think all 3 failed... they should just read the instructions that came with the turkey. Oxbridge i'ill be expecting your unconditional offer shortly :smile:
hmmmm i think the correct response is "none... i do not condone the cultural appropriation of this bird from the Mayan people"
Original post by the bear
hmmmm i think the correct response is "none... i do not condone the cultural appropriation of this bird from the Mayan people"

:nah:

Turkeys should not have been industrialised into an antibiotics-driven, cruelty-laden system of mass production, most especially to celebrate an entirely recent and American corporate appropriation of Xmas myths and given the huge contribution to both global warming and ill health that such a system contributes to.

I think I just made it into Wadham.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:nah:

Turkeys should not have been industrialised into an antibiotics-driven, cruelty-laden system of mass production, most especially to celebrate an entirely recent and American corporate appropriation of Xmas myths and given the huge contribution to both global warming and ill health that such a system contributes to.

I think I just made it into Wadham.

for the Mayans this sacred bird was an intermediary between the visible world and the domain of the Ancestors.
it was know as Chac-Chac and had a special temple at Chicken Itza.
for the Mayans this sacred bird was an intermediary between the visible world and the domain of the Ancestors.
it was know as Chac-Chac and had a special temple at Chicken Itza.

Speaking as an interviewer, I think you cribbed that answer from Wikipedia, so I can't give you any points for that. So far you are not acceptable. If you'd mentioned that you'd read this, I might have grudgingly allowed you a small uplift in admission scoring.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maya-Cosmos-3000-Years-Shamans/dp/0688140696
Speaking as an interviewer, I think you cribbed that answer from Wikipedia, so I can't give you any points for that. So far you are not acceptable. If you'd mentioned that you'd read this, I might have grudgingly allowed you a small uplift in admission scoring.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maya-Cosmos-3000-Years-Shamans/dp/0688140696

hahaha i don't want to go to your smelly yoony anyway. just because you are named after a shoe and have a car factory you think you are all that.
hahaha i don't want to go to your smelly yoony anyway. just because you are named after a shoe and have a car factory you think you are all that.

:shakecane:

Tab-Land-in-the-Fens - where once brilliant people go to force feed science and stuff, thereby rendering themselves almost totally dull. :teehee:

Although Bear shows signs of wanting to escape mentally with what we humans call 'humour'.
:shakecane:

Tab-Land-in-the-Fens - where once brilliant people go to force feed science and stuff, thereby rendering themselves almost totally dull. :teehee:

Although Bear shows signs of wanting to escape mentally with what we humans call 'humour'.

:spank:

i forgot to mention the marmalade :ahee:
Original post by Jatin101

The one who handed it to his scout to cook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending