The Student Room Group

Neighbour complains about music

Hi everyone,
Im currently a first year living in halls, and every so often- roughly twice a week max- I invite some friends over to my room for some drinks/ prees etc and we play some loud music. However, my neighbour always complains that it is too loud. Hence, I decided to only do so on Friday nights.
Well last Friday, I had some friends over at mine. Prior to playing some music, I went over to my neighbour and told them I was gonna have some people over and they told me that they were heading to the bar in 15 mins. Long story short, I waited 45 mins to turn the music up only to get a knock on the door and shouted at by my neighbour. Just wondering if it's me who's being unreasonable or them, and how should i go about patching things up.
Thanks
It does sound like you are being conscientious and considerate by a) limiting it to one night and b) giving him prior warning. In my honest opinion so long as you aren’t doing it until the early hours of the morning and it isn’t during the week, I really don’t see how you could be seen as unreasonable.

He is entitled to a peaceful space but you are also entitled to enjoy yourself, you have made a compromise, he has not. Someone who is that sensitive to noise should have done what I did and requested to be put in halls with older years/post grad students who generally are a lot quieter.

If I were you I would have a discussion with your warden and explain you are having trouble working it out, it is better that he hears your side of the story first.
He's probs annoyed he's not invited, invite him once just to show peace and if he doesn't come and he thinks about complaining about the noise he'll feel bad because you invited him but he didn't show and you tried to be friendly.
Original post by Anonymous
He's probs annoyed he's not invited, invite him once just to show peace and if he doesn't come and he thinks about complaining about the noise he'll feel bad because you invited him but he didn't show and you tried to be friendly.

The things is though, I genuinely don't want to bother them if they're working, so I don't want them to feel bad about complaining. The only thing is, they're complaining when it isn't that loud. Like i've asked my other neighbour and they've said they only heard my music on one occasion, and they didn't mind it then. I'm just trying find out how to get them to understand my viewpoint.
Original post by Lobsterknowspeed
The things is though, I genuinely don't want to bother them if they're working, so I don't want them to feel bad about complaining. The only thing is, they're complaining when it isn't that loud. Like i've asked my other neighbour and they've said they only heard my music on one occasion, and they didn't mind it then. I'm just trying find out how to get them to understand my viewpoint.

Next time he complains could you ask to go into his room to see how loud the music is? Then you could adjust the volume to suit
Playing loud music on multiple nights a week would piss me off and if you already pissed them off then dropping to one night a week won't suddenly calm them down. I suggest you speak to them in person and explain that you will play music on Fridays between X and Y as a compromise but you'd like them to stop complaining. Then keep it to once a week and finish by 11pm.

Obviously if you're not in student halls then you should not be playing music even once a week if it's causing a problem for your neighbours.
I like how you clarified that you play some loud music. It also implies the music itself is loud, and you are just a powerless bystander observing its loudness.
Original post by doodle_333
Playing loud music on multiple nights a week would piss me off and if you already pissed them off then dropping to one night a week won't suddenly calm them down. I suggest you speak to them in person and explain that you will play music on Fridays between X and Y as a compromise but you'd like them to stop complaining. Then keep it to once a week and finish by 11pm.

Obviously if you're not in student halls then you should not be playing music even once a week if it's causing a problem for your neighbours.

Yea, I never play music past the halls quiet hours, but I genuinely agree with this! I feel like I had a completely different perspective on the matter and you've actually just changed that (without sounding cheesy)- this wouldn't be accepted if i were in an apartment complex. Thanks for this. Gonna try be more respectful.
Original post by Lobsterknowspeed
Yea, I never play music past the halls quiet hours, but I genuinely agree with this! I feel like I had a completely different perspective on the matter and you've actually just changed that (without sounding cheesy)- this wouldn't be accepted if i were in an apartment complex. Thanks for this. Gonna try be more respectful.

That's a great attitude. TBH I do think people have to expect some noise on Friday/Saturday in halls up until 10-11pm when people should go out. However it always depends on how loud it is etc! I'm on the other side atm, my neighbours have parties all the time, I'm in a proper apartment building too and there's def no students here, they're just *******. But even so I'm not fussed by it until it gets to about midnight or if it's literally louder in my apartment than if I was actually playing my own music. People should still be reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending