The Student Room Group

Do I need to take A level maths with A level physics?

How much would I suffer with A level physics if I don't take A level maths?
Also what job careers would A level physics open up & how much time does it take up for homework/revision?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edenart02
Also what job careers would A level physics open up & how much time does it take up for homework/revision?

It's not necessary but it's useful.
pretty sure majority of jobs that require physics will require maths , so i would strongly recommenced u take maths aswell (it's compulsory at our college )
Reply 3
Original post by ExoIceCream99
It's not necessary but it's useful.

Ok, my maths is good but not extremely strong so I might just have to put the extra effort in with the maths in physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
pretty sure majority of jobs that require physics will require maths , so i would strongly recommenced u take maths aswell (it's compulsory at our college )

Would you say A level maths is more useful than A level physics?

in what way , what u predicted in gcse maths btw
Ok, my maths is good but not extremely strong so I might just have to put the extra effort in with the maths in physics.

It depends what you want to do.
Reply 7
which other subjects do you want to take?
I think A-level maths helps massively with physics. However, if you aren’t that strong at Maths then I wouldn’t recommend taking either since there is maths in every physics module. For example, in physics you will have to do mechanics which is completely maths.
Reply 9
Original post by Ray_Shadows
in what way , what u predicted in gcse maths btw

Would maths open up more career options? And I haven't been told yet but I know with some revision and practice I could achieve a 7/8 (I'm on around a 6 now but have a crap maths teacher so :/// )
Reply 10
Original post by leahnj
which other subjects do you want to take?

Graphics, psychology ( & maybe biology )
Yeah p much every door that physics opens, you'll need maths too.

It’s possible, but don’t underestimate the practise you’d have to do to keep up.

Also, are you 100% sure that you don’t want to do anything maths based at uni like Computer Science, Physics, Economics, Physics etc? Maths opens up a lot of doors.
Reply 13
Original post by Natasha_Faye
I think A-level maths helps massively with physics. However, if you aren’t that strong at Maths then I wouldn’t recommend taking either since there is maths in every physics module. For example, in physics you will have to do mechanics which is completely maths.

Well my maths is good but it's not very strong and I sometimes don't enjoy maths but it might just be because I have a reallyyyy awful teacher.
However, stuff like algebra and rearranging equations I enjoy.
Reply 14
It depends what you want to do.

Well I don't really know :/

Yes imo
Well I don't really know :/

Ah I see😂would you do a physics degree?
Reply 17
Original post by Fonzworth
It’s possible, but don’t underestimate the practise you’d have to do to keep up.

Also, are you 100% sure that you don’t want to do anything maths based at uni like Computer Science, Physics, Economics, Physics etc? Maths opens up a lot of doors.

Nope😂 It really doesn't interest me but I am interested in the astrophysics part
Would maths open up more career options? And I haven't been told yet but I know with some revision and practice I could achieve a 7/8 (I'm on around a 6 now but have a crap maths teacher so :/// )

i woud say physics give open paths , but they're really needed together , i think a 6 in maths is absolute minimum for a-level maths but most college recommend a 7 , 6 is fine though
Reply 19
Ah I see😂would you do a physics degree?

Depends if I end up really enjoying a level physics. Maybe something like astrophysics/space science

Quick Reply

Latest