The Student Room Group

Do I need to take A level maths with A level physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edenart02
Nope😂 It really doesn't interest me but I am interested in the astrophysics part

What other subjects are you taking?
Reply 21
Original post by Fonzworth
What other subjects are you taking?

Graphics & psychology
( I know they have no relevance to physics😂 But I'm a perfectionist and so I know at least with something like physics it's either right or wrong and once I've done it I don't need to add anything to it, if you get what I mean??😅
Depends if I end up really enjoying a level physics. Maybe something like astrophysics/space science

Now I just picked 5 universities at random to look at the facts:

Birmingham - Physics and Astrophysics
Requires physics and maths
Hertfordshire - Astrophysics
Kent - Space science and Astrophysics
Requires mathematics and physics
York - physics with astrophysics
Requires physics and maths (they consider an AS maths at A but you'd have to attend extra maths classes - ew!)
Hull - physics with astrophysics
Requires maths and physics

So maths should be taken should you want to take this path!!!
Reply 23
Original post by ExoIceCream99
Now I just picked 5 universities at random to look at the facts:

Birmingham - Physics and Astrophysics
Hertfordshire - Astrophysics
Kent - Space science and Astrophysics
Requires mathematics and physics
York - physics with astrophysics
Requires physics and maths (they consider an AS maths at A but you'd have to attend extra maths classes - ew!)
Hull - physics with astrophysics
Requires maths and physics

So maths should be taken should you want to take this path!!!

Thank you for this info! I'm aware that maths is needed as well which is putting me off Astrophysics as I'm not sure that I'd be able to cope with maths and physics
Depends if I end up really enjoying a level physics. Maybe something like astrophysics/space science

Personally I dont think taking a maths a-level will make a physics a level easier (there is no maths that isnt taught at GCSE that is in a physics a-level, except for maybe rearranging a equation with an exponential in it which takes about 15 seconds to teach)

BUT you will need A-level maths to do physics at almost any university, maths is the language of physics after all (note a physics degree is completely different to a physics A-level in almost every way imo)
Thank you for this info! I'm aware that maths is needed as well which is putting me off Astrophysics as I'm not sure that I'd be able to cope with maths and physics

With the right approach to learning it, anyone can do well in both maths and physics at A-level (and in physics at university) but you have to like both subjects to want to put the work required in to do well
Reply 26
Original post by madmadmax321
Personally I dont think taking a maths a-level will make a physics a level easier (there is no maths that isnt taught at GCSE that is in a physics a-level, except for maybe rearranging a equation with an exponential in it which takes about 15 seconds to teach)

BUT you will need A-level maths to do physics at almost any university, maths is the language of physics after all (note a physics degree is completely different to a physics A-level in almost every way imo)

Ok thank you, I don't think I would do physics at university but the a level would help if I decided to go into architecture?
Graphics & psychology
( I know they have no relevance to physics😂 But I'm a perfectionist and so I know at least with something like physics it's either right or wrong and once I've done it I don't need to add anything to it, if you get what I mean??😅

I'm also doing Physics without Maths. I got a 6 in Maths and an A in Physics. Many people have advised me to avoid Physics, especially due to the absence of Maths and the fact that my other subjects are all essay-based. So far I have found Physics an alright subject. I enjoy revising for it, I have been getting solid C's and B's so far. The area that loses me the most marks are the maths questions. I am going to practice the maths though, a lot. OCR's 'Maths Skills' PDF states:

"Within A Level Physics, 40% of the marks available within written examinations will be for assessment of mathematical skills (in the context of physics) at a Level 2 standard, or higher. Lower level mathematical skills will still be assessed within examination papers, but will not count within the 40% weighting for physics. The following will be counted as Level 2 (or higher) mathematics:
application and understanding requiring choice of data or equation to be used
problem solving involving use of mathematics from different areas of maths and decisions about direction to proceed
questions involving use of A Level mathematical content (as of 2012) e.g. use of logarithmic equations.
The following will not be counted as Level 2 mathematics:
simple substitution with little choice of equation or data and/or structured question formats using GCSE mathematics (based on 2012 GCSE mathematics content)."

However, as someone who was in your position and is actually doing it, I'd advise you to consider something else unless you are 100% dedicated to Physics. It really separates the men from the boys and is a big step up from GCSE. It's possible to do but please consider other options. I couldn't be persuaded to not do Physics, but after a lot of thought I have made a compromise that I am really happy about: Doing Physics as an AS, and doing 3 A-Levels that compliment each other and is relevant to the course I want to do at university. I'm enjoying that new subject a lot more than I would have thought, and it satisfies the fact that I still get to study a subject I enjoy, even if it is only for a year. Also, if you want to do astronomy at university, you will need maths, and if you plan to do it as an AS like me, then you may not be able to study the astronomy part, as that is in the second year (that's the case for my exam board anyway).
Ok thank you, I don't think I would do physics at university but the a level would help if I decided to go into architecture?

I don't know much about it but I doubt a physics a level would help that much, I think maths + art + insert any alevel would be the best combo for a BA architecture (though you will need an art portfolio too for most places!). You should look at 10 or so unis to get a feel for the entry requirements for architecture
Reply 29
Original post by Fonzworth
I'm also doing Physics without Maths. I got a 6 in Maths and an A in Physics. Many people have advised me to avoid Physics, especially due to the absence of Maths and the fact that my other subjects are all essay-based. So far I have found Physics an alright subject. I enjoy revising for it, I have been getting solid C's and B's so far. The area that loses me the most marks are the maths questions. I am going to practice the maths though, a lot. OCR's 'Maths Skills' PDF states:

"Within A Level Physics, 40% of the marks available within written examinations will be for assessment of mathematical skills (in the context of physics) at a Level 2 standard, or higher. Lower level mathematical skills will still be assessed within examination papers, but will not count within the 40% weighting for physics. The following will be counted as Level 2 (or higher) mathematics:
application and understanding requiring choice of data or equation to be used
problem solving involving use of mathematics from different areas of maths and decisions about direction to proceed
questions involving use of A Level mathematical content (as of 2012) e.g. use of logarithmic equations.
The following will not be counted as Level 2 mathematics:
simple substitution with little choice of equation or data and/or structured question formats using GCSE mathematics (based on 2012 GCSE mathematics content)."

However, as someone who was in your position and is actually doing it, I'd advise you to consider something else unless you are 100% dedicated to Physics. It really separates the men from the boys and is a big step up from GCSE. It's possible to do but please consider other options. I couldn't be persuaded to not do Physics, but after a lot of thought I have made a compromise that I am really happy about: Doing Physics as an AS, and doing 3 A-Levels that compliment each other and is relevant to the course I want to do at university. I'm enjoying that new subject a lot more than I would have thought, and it satisfies the fact that I still get to study a subject I enjoy, even if it is only for a year. Also, if you want to do astronomy at university, you will need maths, and if you plan to do it as an AS like me, then you may not be able to study the astronomy part, as that is in the second year (that's the case for my exam board anyway).

Ok thanks for that info it really helps! I don't mind putting in the extra time to do extra maths if it means doing well at a level physics. However, it is frustrating as my school doesn't let us do AS's any more so with the a levels that we do take, we have to take them for the full 2 years🙄
Reply 30
I don't know much about it but I doubt a physics a level would help that much, I think maths + art + insert any alevel would be the best combo for a BA architecture (though you will need an art portfolio too for most places!). You should look at 10 or so unis to get a feel for the entry requirements for architecture

Ok thanks, I am taking a level graphics and I am doing gcse art & graphics.
Ok thanks, I am taking a level graphics and I am doing gcse art & graphics.

Not sure if a level graphics would be equivalent but just take a look at unin entry requirements to see :smile: also dont forget it takes time to work on a portfolio and you will need a complete one (which is good) when you apply to uni in year 13
LMAO you wanna do physics without maths? honestly just dont do physics, it shows you dont care about physics enough. physics is maths. end of.
Reply 33
Not sure if a level graphics would be equivalent but just take a look at unin entry requirements to see :smile: also dont forget it takes time to work on a portfolio and you will need a complete one (which is good) when you apply to uni in year 13

Ok, I will look the entry requirements of some unis :smile:
Original post by Cassiopeia_
LMAO you wanna do physics without maths? honestly just dont do physics, it shows you dont care about physics enough. physics is maths. end of.

1. Just because you dont want to do maths at a-level doesnt mean you dont care about physics at a-level

2. Physics uses a lot of maths at degree level but this isnt true for a physics a-level, GCSE maths is all that is really required (and a couple of bits like exponentials that are in as maths but these things are easy to pick up)
How much would I suffer with A level physics if I don't take A level maths?
Also what job careers would A level physics open up & how much time does it take up for homework/revision?

You could probably just about manage to do a level physics without a level Maths ( but you would struggle). Also, you wouldn’t be able to study physics at uni without maths. Also I imagine it will be pretty hard to get a job related to physics without A level maths.
Ok, I will look the entry requirements of some unis :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose and a bit of anecdotal evidence for doing a physics A-level is that I got a C at GCSE for physics and got a B in A-level physics and I didnt do maths at alevel + only got a C in GCSE maths so its totally doable :smile:
Reply 37
Good luck with whatever you choose and a bit of anecdotal evidence for doing a physics A-level is that I got a C at GCSE for physics and got a B in A-level physics and I didnt do maths at alevel + only got a C in GCSE maths so its totally doable :smile:

Ok thanks for the help! I'm considering taking a level physics along with a level biology and psychology & graphics so I'll drop either physics or biology depending on which one I end up struggling with the most :smile:
Graphics, psychology ( & maybe biology )

Youve got good taste lol, im doing physics, psychology and biology too. a level physics is ok without maths a level. although there is a lot of maths in it its mostly gcse maths but in A2 there are some A level maths which u have to learn individually which is no struggle at all. take physics its amazing!
Reply 39

Thank you! I will take that on board haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest