The Student Room Group

I have a dilemma

So, I am a student who wants to apply to medicine next year. I am unable to apply this year because 1st the deadline has past and 2 my ukcat results weren't so great despite my predicted grades being good. Instead of taking a gap year I have to apply to university this year as I attend a school that forces everyone to apply to university. So I do not know what to pick, as I obviously cannot pick medicine. Although, I enjoy English i'm worried the universities next year for medicine, will question whether I really want to study medicine. Also, If i apply to the same universities I want to next year for English now and reject it, so i can apply to med. Will they reject me next year?

I hope this makes sense and you guys can help.
Original post by flowerqueen90._
So, I am a student who wants to apply to medicine next year. I am unable to apply this year because 1st the deadline has past and 2 my ukcat results weren't so great despite my predicted grades being good. Instead of taking a gap year I have to apply to university this year as I attend a school that forces everyone to apply to university. So I do not know what to pick, as I obviously cannot pick medicine. Although, I enjoy English i'm worried the universities next year for medicine, will question whether I really want to study medicine. Also, If i apply to the same universities I want to next year for English now and reject it, so i can apply to med. Will they reject me next year?

I hope this makes sense and you guys can help.

your school shouldnt be forcing you to apply to university, you could just withdraw your application if you get the results you need for medicine
You can't be forced to apply to university. It isn't the law that you go, therefore your school has no right to force you to apply.
As long as you don't apply to unis you want to go to for med next year- they can't see if you've applied this year.
The school can't force you to apply.
In my school, everyone had to sign up to UCAS, but we did not have to complete it. Some people already knew they weren't applying to uni and were going to do apprenticeships instead, others were going to do gap years. It was just so we knew what to do on the system if we did eventually chose to apply. Is this not what your school may be doing?
Original post by claireestelle
your school shouldnt be forcing you to apply to university, you could just withdraw your application if you get the results you need for medicine

Yes i am applying on rejecting the offers I do get, because as a sixth form we all have to apply for university even those who are doing apprenticeships in the future. I am just worried whether the universities might question why I applied for english first before medicine.
Original post by nexttime
The school can't force you to apply.

Everyone in my sixth-from has to apply to universities, even if they aren't going and have apprenticeships they want to do. On results day I can choose not to accept the offers of course but i'm still being made to apply.
Original post by Blazingphoenix
In my school, everyone had to sign up to UCAS, but we did not have to complete it. Some people already knew they weren't applying to uni and were going to do apprenticeships instead, others were going to do gap years. It was just so we knew what to do on the system if we did eventually chose to apply. Is this not what your school may be doing?

We all have to sign up and complete the application and apply to university. Of course on results day everyone can do what they want moving forward.
Original post by ThePursuitOfAs
As long as you don't apply to unis you want to go to for med next year- they can't see if you've applied this year.

Yes my plan is to apply to universities, this year that I know I wont apply for in the future. However, won't the universities still see where I applied for previously and what I'm doing.
We all have to sign up and complete the application and apply to university. Of course on results day everyone can do what they want moving forward.

Okay, so I can understand the complete an application bit cause people in my school had to do that too. But I highly doubt they would actually make people applying for apprenticeships actually send off their applications.

You have to pay to send off UCAS, and unless the school is willing to pay for applications by people who don't want to go to university then they aren't going to have much success. When it actually comes to sending it off, just refuse to pay.
Original post by Blazingphoenix
Okay, so I can understand the complete an application bit cause people in my school had to do that too. But I highly doubt they would actually make people applying for apprenticeships actually send off their applications.

You have to pay to send off UCAS, and unless the school is willing to pay for applications by people who don't want to go to university then they aren't going to have much success. When it actually comes to sending it off, just refuse to pay.

The funny thing, is they pay for the application & everyone needs to apply.
What will they do if you don't apply? What a waste of time all round!

Well. They clearly have money to throw away that would be better used to by investing back into their students education.

Only thing I can think of then is ignore them and keep brushing them off when they chase you up. What can they really do if you don't apply?

They can't force you to apply - just refuse. Get your parents involved if necessary - what sort of school is this?

I'm a teacher and I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending