The Student Room Group

Moments Question

A hoop of weight 20 newtons can rotate freely about a pin fixed to a wall. A string has one end attached to the pin, runs round the circumference of the hoop to its lowest point, and is then held horizontally at it's other end. A gradually increasing horizontal force is now applied to the string, so that the hoop begins to rotate about the pin. Find the tension in the string when the hoop has rotated through 40 degrees.

Attachment not found

Please help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by joyoustele

Attachment not found.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Attachment not found.

It works now. But how can i make it so the image stays on the page, instead of just providing a link?
It works now. But how can i make it so the image stays on the page, instead of just providing a link?

Haven't encountered this type of problem before, but just to check before I guide you to the answer, what's the answer to the question?
Reply 4
Haven't encountered this type of problem before, but just to check before I guide you to the answer, what's the answer to the question?

The Answer: Tension =7.28N

:frown: I've spent so long on this
The Answer: Tension =7.28N

:frown: I've spent so long on this

Oh fair enough, OK then.

So, on that diagram, the CoM of the hoop in the diagram is dead in the middle of it. Mark that point and draw a force of 20N going down (for obvious reasons). Then, you have F(t)F(t) going horizontally from the bottom of the hoop in the diagram. (I chose F(t)F(t) since F is a gradually increasing force as a formality, but since you are looking at an instant of time, just say that force is FF). Then you want to take moments about the pin, and considering those two forces, proceed to solve for F. Call the radius rr, you'll quick notice that it cancels out so it isn't really a big thing here as to what it is.
Reply 6
Oh fair enough, OK then.

So, on that diagram, the CoM of the hoop in the diagram is dead in the middle of it. Mark that point and draw a force of 20N going down (for obvious reasons). Then, you have F(t)F(t) going horizontally from the bottom of the hoop in the diagram. (I chose F(t)F(t) since F is a gradually increasing force as a formality, but since you are looking at an instant of time, just say that force is FF). Then you want to take moments about the pin, and considering those two forces, proceed to solve for F. Call the radius rr, you'll quick notice that it cancels out so it isn't really a big thing here as to what it is.

where did i go wrong?

F(2r)=20r ?
where did i go wrong?

F(2r)=20r ?

Well I dunno how you ended up with that equation so I dunno where you went wrong.

The perp distance to F from the pin is not 2r since the pin isn't all the way at the top of the circle when at the angle.
Reply 8
Well I dunno how you ended up with that equation so I dunno where you went wrong.

The perp distance to F from the pin is not 2r since the pin isn't all the way at the top of the circle when at the angle.

Oops.....Rookie mistake...
Reply 9

I cant find the Distance. Thats the main bit i have struggled with
I cant find the Distance. Thats the main bit i have struggled with

Perp distance to F is the black line + the red dashed line. What's the length of the red dashed line...?

[NOTE: This is a skill you'll need to use if you'll study vertical circular motion - to find this sort of length in a circle]

(edited 6 years ago)
Perp distance to F is the black line + the red dashed line. What's the length of the red dashed line...?

Note: This is a skill you'll need to use if you'll study vertical circular motion.

rcos40?
rcos40?

Should be good to finish it off now then.
Should be good to finish it off now then.

F(r+rcos(40)=20(r2r2cos40)F(r+rcos(40)=20 \sqrt (r^2-r^2cos40)

F=20(r2r2cos40)r+rcos40F=\dfrac{ 20\sqrt (r^2-r^2cos40) }{r+rcos40}

.....have i gone wrong? ..
(edited 6 years ago)
F(r+rcos(40)=20g((r2r2cos40)F(r+rcos(40)=20g(\sqrt (r^2-r^2cos40)

F=20g(r2r2cos40)r+rcos40F=\dfrac{ 20g\sqrt (r^2-r^2cos40) }{r+rcos40}

.....have i gone wrong? ..

Yeah.

First line:
1. LHS is fine though missing a bracket at the end
2. Where did gg come from...?
3. The perp. distance to the weight is just, yknow, rsin(40)r\sin(40) maybe...??
Yeah.

First line:
1. LHS is fine though missing a bracket at the end
2. Where did gg come from...?
3. The perp. distance to the weight is just, yknow, rsin(40)r\sin(40) maybe...??

Nm my last post. I figured everything out.

I got T=7.26, I'm about to check why i'm 0.02N off. But this is the correct method.

Thanks RDK. Im going to be one of the only people in my class, to have figured this Out. Lol
Nm my last post. I figured everything out.

I got T=7.26, I'm about to check why i'm 0.02N off. But this is the correct method.

Thanks RDK. Im going to be one of the only people in my class, to have figured this Out. Lol

Not sure why you're offset by that.

Without rounding, F(r+rcos(40))=20rsin(40)F=20sin(40)1+cos(40)7.28\displaystyle F(r+r\cos(40))=20r\sin(40) \Leftrightarrow F=\frac{20\sin(40)}{1+\cos(40)} \approx 7.28
Not sure why you're offset by that.

Without rounding, F(r+rcos(40))=20rsin(40)F=20sin(40)1+cos(40)7.28\displaystyle F(r+r\cos(40))=20r\sin(40) \Leftrightarrow F=\frac{20\sin(40)}{1+\cos(40)} \approx 7.28

Got 7.28,

Damn. This question seems a lot easier than i thought it was....
Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest