The Student Room Group

What country is this food from? (TSR Pub Quiz 2017)

Scroll to see replies

New Zealand
south america?
Thanks for a great quiz @Michiyo! Challenging questions and also very punctual :smile:

Still annoyed that I didn't say Laos :grumble:

Are your notifications coming in 10 minutes late tonight? :lol:
Thanks for the quiz @Michiyo :biggrin: Looking forward to seeing the answers to some of the ones I didn't know/guessed! :biggrin:
Original post by Notnek
Are your notifications coming in 10 minutes late tonight? :lol:

The WiFi here at rehearsals is terrible and I'm not paying the closest of attention either... The combination of those causes things like this :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trinidad & Tobago

:afro:
Reply 168
Original post by Notnek
Thanks for a great quiz @Michiyo! Challenging questions and also very punctual :smile:

Still annoyed that I didn't say Laos :grumble:

Aww, thank you! :blush:

That was the point :colone: No googling the answer for easy and undeserved points here :naughty:

I was actually a minute late with one of my pictures! :zomg: More on that in the summary, answers, and commentary post, though! :grin:

You would have been the only person to get it right had you said Laos :moon:

Original post by Labrador99
Thanks for the quiz @Michiyo :biggrin: Looking forward to seeing the answers to some of the ones I didn't know/guessed! :biggrin:

It was my pleasure! :lovehug:

Oh, you will be surprised :lol: There were some foods whose origin no one got right! :eek3:
Original post by Michiyo

You would have been the only person to get it right had you said Laos :moon:

That could be the first question that has received no correct answers? @04MR17 may know.
Reply 170
Original post by Notnek
That could be the first question that has received no correct answers? @04MR17 may know.

No, that was question 6 :smile: More on that in the post :dance:

He does not know the answers yet :tongue:
Original post by Michiyo

He does not know the answers yet :tongue:

No I meant he might know if there have been any questions before this quiz that have stumped everyone.
Reply 172
Original post by Notnek
No I meant he might know if there have been any questions before this quiz that have stumped everyone.

Ah, I see... I am curious if that is the case :gah:
Reply 173

Thank you for participating in the 'What country is this food from?' quiz tonight! :girl:

Picture 1
Answer: Japan

The picture contained sushi and sashimi. Many people got it right, just as expected. :yep:

Picture 2
Answer: India

Given the recent popularity of curry, I am not surprised at all that plenty of people answered correctly. :h:

Picture 3
Answer: England/UK

A lot of people recognised the stargazy pie. I expected no less from TSR, given that it is mostly UK-based. :rolleyes: Just like our dear @Labrador99 observed and @markovchain17 stated, this is an English food found in Cornwall.

P.S.: Sorry for it being disgusting, @CheeseIsVeg! :sad: See that I removed a disgusting food with this in mind below :heart:

Picture 4
Answer: Austria

My favourite food ever, the schnitzel, showed its mighty glory in this picture. :u: A bit of a tricky food since a lot of people said Germany, yet most people still got it right. :biggrin:

Picture 5
Answer: France

This picture depicted palmiers. :love:

Initially, Black Forest cake from Germany was supposed to be picture 5, but then I saw how many people answered Germany instead of Austria in question 4 and I did not want to have two foods with too similar answers, so I changed it. :redface:

Once again, most people knew the answer or were good at guessing its origin. :ahee:

Picture 6
Answer: Romania

The food in the photo was budincă de cartofi (literally ‘potato pudding’, but that is far from an accurate description). It is a dish made by baking a mix of potatoes and cheese that is covered with egg and it is delicious. :drool:

Just as I thought, NO ONE got this one right. Given the amount of people who got Romanian right in the Guess the Language quiz I did on the 30th, I am now inclined to believe most people just googled it back then. :grumble:

Picture 7
Answer: Vietnam

Through this picture, we discovered what Lúc Lắc (sauté diced beef) looks like in Vietnam. :gah:

Originally, picture 7 was meant to be picture 8, but I got them mixed up. :getmecoat:

You might have noticed that I was a minute late with this picture… That happened because my intention was to make this picture fried spiders from Cambodia. However, I realised that could upset people with arachnophobia and just be too disgusting to bear in general, so I switched to this food during the 5 minutes between picture 6 and picture 7. :hide:

Yet another food I expected no one to get right (and I was correct).

Picture 8
Answer: Laos

The food in the picture was kaipen.

See above. Picture 8 was meant to be picture 7. Luckily, mixing them up has no effect on the quiz. :giggle:

Picture 9
Answer: Sweden

The picture contained a variation of smörgåstårta (literally ‘sandwich-cake’ ).

I was surprised to see that three people knew the answer! :zomg:

Picture 10
Answer: Nicaragua and Costa Rica

I found it hilarious how most of the answers said Jamaica. :toofunny:

Just like @markovchain17 said, this is gallo pinto from Nicaragua and Costa Rica! :grin: Shout-out to him for being the only person to get it right and for even naming the food! :adore:

This was meant to be a bit of a tricky question because it had two acceptable answers. But the potential trickiness did not stop Markov from knowing the answer! :clap2:

And thus, tonight’s quiz has come to an end. :grouphugs:

See you tomorrow in the 'Food anagrams' quiz, hosted by @Deyesy! :wavey:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the awesome quiz (even if I didn't know many answers) :biggrin:
Reply 175
Original post by Kindred
Thanks for the awesome quiz (even if I didn't know many answers) :biggrin:

Nooo, thank you! :hugs:

It is alright, I am happy you were here in the first place :heart:
Original post by Michiyo

Thank you for participating in the 'What country is this food from?' quiz tonight! :girl:

Picture 1
Answer: Japan

The picture contained sushi and sashimi. Many people got it right, just as expected. :yep:

Picture 2
Answer: India

Given the recent popularity of curry, I am not surprised at all that plenty of people answered correctly. :h:

Picture 3
Answer: England/UK

A lot of people recognised the stargazy pie. I expected no less from TSR, given that it is mostly UK-based. :rolleyes: Just like our dear @Labrador99 observed and @markovchain17 stated, this is an English food found in Cornwall.

P.S.: Sorry for it being disgusting, @CheeseIsVeg! :sad: See that I removed a disgusting food with this in mind below :heart:

Picture 4
Answer: Austria

My favourite food ever, the schnitzel, showed its mighty glory in this picture. :u: A bit of a tricky food since a lot of people said Germany, yet most people still got it right. :biggrin:

Picture 5
Answer: France

This picture depicted palmiers. :love:

Initially, Black Forest cake from Germany was supposed to be picture 5, but then I saw how many people answered Germany instead of Austria in question 4 and I did not want to have two foods with too similar answers, so I changed it. :redface:

Once again, most people knew the answer or were good at guessing its origin. :ahee:

Picture 6
Answer: Romania

The food in the photo was budincă de cartofi (literally ‘potato pudding’, but that is far from an accurate description). It is a dish made by baking a mix of potatoes and cheese that is covered with egg and it is delicious. :drool:

Just as I thought, NO ONE got this one right. Given the amount of people who got Romanian right in the Guess the Language quiz I did on the 30th, I am now inclined to believe most people just googled it back then. :grumble:

Picture 7
Answer: Vietnam

Through this picture, we discovered what Lúc Lắc (sauté diced beef) looks like in Vietnam. :gah:

Originally, picture 7 was meant to be picture 8, but I got them mixed up. :getmecoat:

You might have noticed that I was a minute late with this picture… That happened because my intention was to make this picture fried spiders from Cambodia. However, I realised that could upset people with arachnophobia and just be too disgusting to bear in general, so I switched to this food during the 5 minutes between picture 6 and picture 7. :hide:

Yet another food I expected no one to get right (and I was correct).

Picture 8
Answer: Laos

The food in the picture was kaipen.

See above. Picture 8 was meant to be picture 7. Luckily, mixing them up has no effect on the quiz. :giggle:

Picture 9
Answer: Sweden

The picture contained a variation of smörgåstårta (literally ‘sandwich-cake’ ).

I was surprised to see that three people knew the answer! :zomg:

Picture 10
Answer: Nicaragua and Costa Rica

I found it hilarious how most of the answers said Jamaica. :toofunny:

Just like @markovchain17 said, this is gallo pinto from Nicaragua and Costa Rica! :grin: Shout-out to him for being the only person to get it right and for even naming the food! :adore:

This was meant to be a bit of a tricky question because it had two acceptable answers. But the potential trickiness did not stop Markov from knowing the answer! :clap2:

And thus, tonight’s quiz has come to an end. :grouphugs:

See you tomorrow in the 'Food anagrams' quiz, hosted by @Deyesy! :wavey:

Spoiler

I got lucky that I've had gallo pinto before :biggrin: albeit in Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notnek
As far as I know yes. Although there were times where I could have been strict, and it would have happened.

Michiyo is much more of a fascist than me.:innocent:
Thanks again @Michiyo :smile: Never in my life have I seen that pie thing until tonight! (The clue of most people probably knowing it made me guess it was from England, as most people on TSR are from England and I've never seen it in Scotland)...It looks disgusting!
Looks like I missed a fun quiz. I would never win a point, internet ain't that good :lol: but I knew 2. Would have guessed the France one correctly and maybe if I was lucky, guessed another one right (doubt it though). All the others, I'd have made up haha

Quick Reply

Latest