The Student Room Group

warwick maths offer

I just got a warwick maths offer for A*A*A (im only doing three a levels) which is lower than the standard offer. On the website they say they only reduce offers for people who did well on the MAT, but i know for a fact I didn't do well on the MAT. I didn't even answer enough questions to do well, even if I miraculously got them all right (which i didnt). Also, the MAT was less than a week ago and I applied to do it for Oxford, not warwick, so I dont think they could see my mark anyway. Why was my offer reduced does anyone know?
Good personal statement? Have you gotten your MAT results back yet?
Reply 2
Original post by Shiba_Inu
Good personal statement? Have you gotten your MAT results back yet?

No I haven't got the MAT results back yet but trust me I failed it
Original post by orahillyf
No I haven't got the MAT results back yet but trust me I failed it

eh you never know. Maybe you pulled it out the bag and haven't realised yet. I'd wait til you find out the results before jumping to any conclusions
Reply 4
I just got a warwick maths offer for A*A*A (im only doing three a levels) which is lower than the standard offer. On the website they say they only reduce offers for people who did well on the MAT, but i know for a fact I didn't do well on the MAT. I didn't even answer enough questions to do well, even if I miraculously got them all right (which i didnt). Also, the MAT was less than a week ago and I applied to do it for Oxford, not warwick, so I dont think they could see my mark anyway. Why was my offer reduced does anyone know?

What does the offer actually say?

Usually A*A*A will also need 1 in (any) STEP paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got my offer, A*A*A.
Took the MAT - it went OK.
Then again this is the first year Warwick is doing the MAT, so there is no proper baseline.
I can imagine they have either been marked or are being marked as Oxford interviews are right around the corner.

Here's what Warwick say - https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/aeastep/
"The MAT does not have a grading system and the average mark fluctuates from year to year. This prevents us from specifying before-hand what we expect in terms of performance in the MAT. If you are worried about that please consider sitting the TMUA instead. Students doing well in the MAT are likely to receive our reduced offer (A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A). Students doing less well are likely to receive our standard offer."

So logically (like a mathematician) I see no reason why you didn't do decently on the MAT, as you recieved the reduced offer.
Hope this is useful!
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
What does the offer actually say?

Usually A*A*A will also need 1 in (any) STEP paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"This offer is subject to you obtaining grade A* in A Level Mathematics, grade A* in A Level Further Mathematics and grade A in a third subject at A Level. This offer excludes General Studies, Critical Thinking and Additional Further Mathematics. If your Science A level/s include a Practical Skills Test, you must achieve a Pass in each."

And thats it
Reply 7
"This offer is subject to you obtaining grade A* in A Level Mathematics, grade A* in A Level Further Mathematics and grade A in a third subject at A Level. This offer excludes General Studies, Critical Thinking and Additional Further Mathematics. If your Science A level/s include a Practical Skills Test, you must achieve a Pass in each."

And thats it

Good to go then :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by UncookedYogurt
I just got my offer, A*A*A.
Took the MAT - it went OK.
Then again this is the first year Warwick is doing the MAT, so there is no proper baseline.
I can imagine they have either been marked or are being marked as Oxford interviews are right around the corner.

Here's what Warwick say - https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/aeastep/
"The MAT does not have a grading system and the average mark fluctuates from year to year. This prevents us from specifying before-hand what we expect in terms of performance in the MAT. If you are worried about that please consider sitting the TMUA instead. Students doing well in the MAT are likely to receive our reduced offer (A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A). Students doing less well are likely to receive our standard offer."

So logically (like a mathematician) I see no reason why you didn't do decently on the MAT, as you recieved the reduced offer.
Hope this is useful!

Thanks a bunch but really I didn't even answer enough questions on the MAT to have got 40 marks and I got at least half of them wrong lol but theres always hope I suppose
Reply 9
What about predicted grades and ums? (If they are written on your applicator)
Reply 10
Original post by pagefan
What about predicted grades and ums? (If they are written on your applicator)

predicted A*A*A and didn't write ums because they are nothing special

Wow lucky! Congrats! :biggrin: Maybe your personal statement was outstanding? (I completely flopped the MAT too since like you, didn't manage to answer enough questions to even get 40 assuming I'd gotten all of them right! Got standard offer though D: ) When did you apply? I applied before the Oxbridge deadline so got my offer way before I even took the MAT - hoping that if I did well in the TMUA today (because there's no hope in the MAT) I still have a chance at that reduced offer!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Wow lucky! Congrats! :biggrin: Maybe your personal statement was outstanding? (I completely flopped the MAT too since like you, didn't manage to answer enough questions to even get 40 assuming I'd gotten all of them right! Got standard offer though D: ) When did you apply? I applied before the Oxbridge deadline so got my offer way before I even took the MAT - hoping that if I did well in the TMUA today (because there's no hope in the MAT) I still have a chance at that reduced offer!

I applied on the 13th of october and just got the offer a few hours ago, good luck with the tmua!

aaaaaahh I applied on the 15 October and still haven't received an offer. They are probably more willing for MAT takers.

It seems they are also giving out maths offers in batches with the last batch around 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Well done on your offer! It's hard to believe how generous Warwick are considering they are in COWI

maybe it was your reference or personal statement lol
Reply 14
Original post by pagefan
aaaaaahh I applied on the 15 October and still haven't received an offer. They are probably more willing for MAT takers.

It seems they are also giving out maths offers in batches with the last batch around 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Well done on your offer! It's hard to believe how generous Warwick are considering they are in COWI

maybe it was your reference or personal statement lol

Thank you and best of luck yourself
I applied on the 13th of october and just got the offer a few hours ago, good luck with the tmua!

Oh wow that's weird I applied on the 9th! Annoying how a couple of days can end up meaning you have to endure the waiting for a couple more weeks xD
Reply 16

MAT scripts are being marked this week - so MAT marks won't be known to anyone until the weekend.
Reply 17
Original post by RichE
MAT scripts are being marked this week - so MAT marks won't be known to anyone until the weekend.

I thought that would be the case, but warwick dont list anything else as being cause for a reduced offer, how do you know they arent being marked until this week?
Reply 18
I thought that would be the case, but warwick dont list anything else as being cause for a reduced offer, how do you know they arent being marked until this week?

Because I work in the Oxford maths dept.

Quick Reply

Latest