The Student Room Group

Plagiarising my personal statement??!!

Just to make it clear, I have not plagiarised anything at all! but I ran it through a plagiarism checker (because I'm paranoid af) and two sentences have been flagged for plagiarism. They're two unavoidable sentences which are the problem!

Overall, it came up with 5% but I didn't plagiarise anything at all it's just that they are unavoidable sentences, if you get what I mean. Not sure what to do! Deadline is Friday and I'm hoping to send it off tonight or tomorrow morning after my teacher checks it one last time.
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe the threshold is between 15% and 25%, so you should be fine.
Original post by jesschantellexxx
Just to make it clear, I have not plagiarised anything at all! but I ran it through a plagiarism checker (because I'm paranoid af) and two sentences have been flagged for plagiarism. They're two unavoidable sentences which are the problem!

one of them is "this is how my interest in Archaeology blossomed" someone else wrote something about their interest in archaeology so it came up for plagiarism and the other is ". A current example of this is an essay that compares the leadership skills of both Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis during the American Civil War (1861 1865)."

Overall, it came up with 5% but I didn't plagiarise anything at all it's just that they are unavoidable sentences, if you get what I mean. Not sure what to do! Deadline is Friday and I'm hoping to send it off tonight or tomorrow morning after my teacher checks it one last time.

if im correct, i think its only flagged to the universities if it reaches 15% or above, so you have nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by emperorCode
I believe the threshold is between 15% and 25%, so you should be fine.

Oh, thank God!
Reply 4
Don't worry about it.
Even teachers plagiarise their work when they present it to the class. - They recycle last year's work and teach it again :P
Original post by alicewonderland2
if im correct, i think its only flagged to the universities if it reaches 15% or above, so you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Thank you! That's a huge weight off of my mind!

one of them is "this is how my interest in Archaeology blossomed" someone else wrote something about their interest in archaeology so it came up for plagiarism and the other is ". A current example of this is an essay that compares the leadership skills of both Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis during the American Civil War (1861 1865)."

25% is the threshold. Even then, you'll be checked by a human who'll see that theyre generic sentences

Also the main thing they check is if youve copied another personal statement which is much worse
Original post by Villa73
Don't worry about it.
Even teachers plagiarise their work when they present it to the class. - They recycle last year's work and teach it again :P

Haha! That's true
Don't think of it as checking for 'plagiarism', think of it as checking for 'similarities'. If there's a good reason for them to be there (usually quotes, referenced material or common phrases) then you're fine.
Original post by Duncan2012
Don't think of it as checking for 'plagiarism', think of it as checking for 'similarities'. If there's a good reason for them to be there (usually quotes, referenced material or common phrases) then you're fine.

Phew! Thanks for the help.

Don't post sentences on here!
i'm sure if you typed in " i want to help people" or "make the world a better place" you would get loads of matches...

Quick Reply

Latest