The Student Room Group

We're being evicted

My parents are divorced and for the past 3 years (almost 4) my mum has been renting a house. We have a cat and it is me, my mum and my brother living there. I found out today from my dad that the landlords want to sell the house by Christmas so we have to leave. My mum hasn't told me so I don't know when she found out but apparently she's started packing. I'm in my first year of uni living in halls so this is a big surprise.

Hopefully we can find somewhere. But my mum only works 17 hours a week so she doesn't earn much. She only works so little because when me and my brother were kids she had to take us and pick us up from school, but she doesn't need to do that anymore but she refuses to work any more hours.

I'm sure my mum would be looking for a 3 bed home but she could really be looking for a 1 bed as me and my brother can live with my dad full-time. At the moment we split it 50/50 during the week. Hopefully somewhere that allows cats.

We had a similar situation 4 years ago. My mum moved in with a guy after she divorced my dad and they were together for a few years before breaking up. Me and my brother were young at this point so he let my mum become a tenant in his house so our schooling wasn't disrupted. But 4 years ago he wanted his house back so we had to leave. For 2 weeks my mum lived in a hotel and my cat in a cattery until we found our current house. I just hate the thought of us having to go through that again. It was horrible. I know it'll be easier on me because I'll be at uni, but still.

I just needed to vent. I'm worried we won't find somewhere.
Reply 1
does your mum have a contract? just checking if the landlord has the right to do this?

its probably unlikely they'll sell by christmas..are you allowed to stay there till its sold?
Reply 2
Original post by squeak
does your mum have a contract? just checking if the landlord has the right to do this?

its probably unlikely they'll sell by christmas..are you allowed to stay there till its sold?

I'm sure she does and they probably do. I don't know any details but I'd assume my mum got given plenty of notice. And I hope we can stay until they sell it, or at least until we find somewhere else.
Original post by Anonymous
My parents are divorced and for the past 3 years (almost 4) my mum has been renting a house. We have a cat and it is me, my mum and my brother living there. I found out today from my dad that the landlords want to sell the house by Christmas so we have to leave. My mum hasn't told me so I don't know when she found out but apparently she's started packing. I'm in my first year of uni living in halls so this is a big surprise.

Hopefully we can find somewhere. But my mum only works 17 hours a week so she doesn't earn much. She only works so little because when me and my brother were kids she had to take us and pick us up from school, but she doesn't need to do that anymore but she refuses to work any more hours.

I'm sure my mum would be looking for a 3 bed home but she could really be looking for a 1 bed as me and my brother can live with my dad full-time. At the moment we split it 50/50 during the week. Hopefully somewhere that allows cats.

We had a similar situation 4 years ago. My mum moved in with a guy after she divorced my dad and they were together for a few years before breaking up. Me and my brother were young at this point so he let my mum become a tenant in his house so our schooling wasn't disrupted. But 4 years ago he wanted his house back so we had to leave. For 2 weeks my mum lived in a hotel and my cat in a cattery until we found our current house. I just hate the thought of us having to go through that again. It was horrible. I know it'll be easier on me because I'll be at uni, but still.

I just needed to vent. I'm worried we won't find somewhere.

That is sad.

I think you should support your mom during this period. If she knew and did not inform you, she was probably trying to protect you from the experience, since you hated the last one.

I hope things go well for you guys. All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending