The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agaaga1010
That poster honestly looks amazing! It's so pretty, I might try and do something similar for biology because I have a test on Thursday :s-smilie:. Good luck on your computer science test, I'm sure you'll do great!! :biggrin:

Thank you so much! The process of making the posters is actually so beneficial as it forces me to condense down large masses of information onto like half a sheet say. It's definitely worth a try but of course it's all down to how you learn the best! Good luck on your biology test too! :grin:
Original post by EmilySarah00
Thank you so much! The process of making the posters is actually so beneficial as it forces me to condense down large masses of information onto like half a sheet say. It's definitely worth a try but of course it's all down to how you learn the best! Good luck on your biology test too! :grin:

Thank you! :h:
08/11/17 Update - A Productive Day (Until 3:15...) :burnout:

I had a very clear plan of what I wanted to achieve today and I managed it for the most part. So I started with 7AM get up ready to be in college by 8, I had to get a lift again because 4 bus strikes apparently wasn't enough. My day then started with a very generic assembly on interview skills which was fairly engaging but nearing the end of the 45 minutes it got quite repetitive. :pinch:

I then had two free hours, I distanced myself from my friends for once to go get a computer and do some work. Due to how full our college is I managed to not get a space on a proper computer and was therefore lumbered with a rather awful Toshiba laptop that was operating at snails pace. :facepalm:Regardless of this, after dancing around starting writing for a solid half hour I began to start writing out a testing plan for my Computer Science coursework project. I didn't know what I set out to do when I started but my test plan started come to together by the end.

Then because I of course hadn't already had enough of Computer Science for today, I had a Computer Science test third period! The cover teacher wasn't actually going to give it to me (I was the only person left to do it in the class) he was going to just let us get on with coursework but since I'd mentally prepared myself for this test for the second time by this point, I asked to do it until he gave it to me. :cool:

The test was alright, it was only an end of topic mock about Computer Networks. There were some rather ambiguous questions in there however but I just attempted to answer all 45 marks worth of question in the hour and handed it in. I've never done a test in such awful conditions though as the rest of the class (and the teacher!) were just having a chat, so I found it near impossible to focus. :unsure:

Then after a Domino's lunch (healthy I know :colondollar:) I had Maths in which we had a rather odd seeming investigation lesson about converging iterative sequences. And finally a Further Maths lesson where we did a few Mechanics 2 questions about kinematics with variable acceleration, fun fun fun! Now have a picture of my Maths and Further Maths room as I spent 10 hours of my week in here, sat in this exact seat, and you therefore deserve to see it.

IMG_7479.jpg

I've felt kinda off all day but after college I started to feel worse. :sad: So I took the night to try and relax despite feeling rather ropey. I figured I deserve to chill since I've worked myself very hard lately so the least I can do for my health is stop working when I feel ill.

3 hours in my Maths room again tomorrow with Maths and Double Further Maths! But I'm skipping form (what a rebel) so I at least get a lie in because I think I need it.

Until then,
- Emily x

My Motivation Crew :grouphugs: :

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

I had a very clear plan of what I wanted to achieve today and I managed it for the most part. So I started with 7AM get up ready to be in college by 8, I had to get a lift again because 4 bus strikes apparently wasn't enough. My day then started with a very generic assembly on interview skills which was fairly engaging but nearing the end of the 45 minutes it got quite repetitive. :pinch:

I then had two free hours, I distanced myself from my friends for once to go get a computer and do some work. Due to how full our college is I managed to not get a space on a proper computer and was therefore lumbered with a rather awful Toshiba laptop that was operating at snails pace. :facepalm:
Regardless of this, after dancing around starting writing for a solid half hour I began to start writing out a testing plan for my Computer Science coursework project. I didn't know what I set out to do when I started but my test plan started come together by the end.

Then because I of course hadn't already had enough of Computer Science for today, I had a Computer Science test third period! The cover teacher wasn't actually going to give it to me (I was the only person left to do it in the class) he was going to just let us get on with coursework but since I'd mentally prepared myself for this test for the second time by this point, I asked to do it until he gave it to me. :cool:

The test was alright, it was only an end of topic mock about Computer Networks. There were some rather ambiguous questions in there however but I just attempted to answer all 45 marks worth of question in the hour and handed it in. I've never done a test in such awful conditions though as the rest of the class (and the teacher!) were just having a chat, so I found it near impossible to focus. :unsure:

Then after a Domino's lunch (healthy I know :colondollar:) I had Maths in which we had a rather odd seeming investigation lesson about converging iterative sequences. And finally a Further Maths lesson where we did a few Mechanics 2 questions about kinematics with variable acceleration, fun fun fun! Now have a picture of my Maths and Further Maths room as I spent 10 hours of my week in here, sat in this exact seat, and you therefore deserve to see it.

IMG_7479.jpg

I've felt kinda off all day but after college I started to feel worse. :sad: So I took the night to try and relax despite feeling rather ropey. I figured I deserve to chill since I've worked myself very hard lately so the least I can do for my health is stop working when I feel ill.

3 hours in my Maths room again tomorrow with Maths and Double Further Maths! But I'm skipping form (what a rebel) so I at least get a lie in because I think I need it.

Until then,
- Emily x

Spoiler

PRSOM.

Hey Emily, it's nice to hear you're working hard early on in the year, but it's important to also strike a balance cos you don't want to burn yourself out.

You've sat the MAT and you've probably sent off your UCAS application already, so you're in a good place right now. Even with the CompSci cw, you still have ages left to finish it, so don't feel the need to finish it so early.
Original post by Desmos
PRSOM.

Hey Emily, it's nice to hear you're working hard early on in the year, but it's important to also strike a balance cos you don't want to burn yourself out.

You've sat the MAT and you've probably sent off your UCAS application already, so you're in a good place right now. Even with the CompSci cw, you still have ages left to finish it, so don't feel the need to finish it so early.

Hello! Thank you very much, I’ve never had this much of a work ethic so early on in the year before but Year 13 is like no other. :woo:

Of course I’m fairly happy with where I am at the minute (despite my dire MAT performance) however as for CompSci the school are setting their own deadlines, I have to have the whole thing done by January and I have a section deadline on Friday so I sadly have to get myself together and do it!

Thanks again :yep:
(edited 6 years ago)

I then had two free hours, I distanced myself from my friends for once to go get a computer and do some work. Due to how full our college is I managed to not get a space on a proper computer and was therefore lumbered with a rather awful Toshiba laptop that was operating at snails pace. :facepalm:Regardless of this, after dancing around starting writing for a solid half hour I began to start writing out a testing plan for my Computer Science coursework project. I didn't know what I set out to do when I started but my test plan started come to together by the end.

IMG_7479.jpg

Until then,
- Emily x

Spoiler

You're doing well!! You definitely deserve a lie in tomorrow. Can I ask what you did to relax? :smile:
Original post by Cyberspace
You're doing well!! You definitely deserve a lie in tomorrow. Can I ask what you did to relax? :smile:

Thank you! Some would beg to differ about the lie in :hmmmm:
And I just had a lie down and kept warm for 3 hours to relax :yep:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 207
It's funny because I'm applying for the exact same course as you to the exact same oxford college ahahaha and you're the only person online who i've seen doing the same
Original post by Gunjo
It's funny because I'm applying for the exact same course as you to the exact same oxford college ahahaha

Woah I haven’t found someone before! Looks like you’re direct competition :wink2: :laugh:
Honestly I’m sure you’ll do better than I!
Good luck!
Reply 209
Woah I haven’t found someone before! Looks like you’re direct competition :wink2: :laugh:
Honestly I’m sure you’ll do better than I!
Good luck!

Did you go to the LMH open day?
Original post by Gunjo
Did you go to the LMH open day?

No actually, I only saw the outside of the college when on a walk. It was closed on the maths institute open day that I visited!
Good job I’m not too attached :laugh:
05/11/17 Update - Bonfire Night

When I said I wasn't going to sleep until I finished the Computer Science coursework I set out to do last night, I didn't anticipate that that would mean staying up working until 2AM and writing 7 sides of A4, but that's exactly what happened. So after that unexpected long night I needed a lie in and therefore didn't get up until lunch time today (no regrets :cool:.)

After lunch I kinda stared at my Computer Science coursework again for a while trying to plan the next subsection out, but I've honestly no clue what I'm meant to include and after last night I'd completely had enough of it. So I soon gave up and moved on to doing my mechanics homework.

My experience of doing Mechanics 1 questions has never been more odd as my dad decided he wanted to have a go too! Having done Physics, Maths and Further Maths to A-Level over 35 years ago he wanted to see what he could remember, and so he sat opposite me at the dining table and did the questions along with me. I'll put a picture of both our work below (excuse the awful excuse for a collage,) you can see we actually got all the same answers (with a few rounding differences) despite different methods here and there! He was definitely really proud of himself afterwards :rofl:

IMG_7561.jpg

After a quick Costa trip I came back and organised my notes from the past week into my ring bound folders. I also had to start a new folder to put Mechanics 2 and Decision 2 work in. Finally after what hasn't been an overly productive day I tidied my desk (mainly because I didn't want @04MR17 to shout at me for not doing so!) I haven't got the Pinterest level of aesthetic work spaces but I tried my best. :yep: (The image is attached at the bottom because TSR isn't cooperating.)

So now I'm done with work and I'm about to spend until the dead of night watching a movie whilst painting my nails. Good job I have a double free period in the morning! :laugh:
- Emily

Firework Friends (I'm bad at this :ahee:) :

Spoiler

Omg I've missed so many of your posts and pretty photos! :redface: Just caught up but please add me to the tag list so I can keep up :biggrin:
Hey, I love your thread so much. It inspired me to make my own. Please have a look if you can: Sturdy Swifter - Journey to A*A*A
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Omg I've missed so many of your posts and pretty photos! :redface: Just caught up but please add me to the tag list so I can keep up :biggrin:

Ah completely didn't realise you weren't tagged, I'll add you now! :hugs:

Original post by sturdy swifter
Hey, I love your thread so much. It inspired me to make my own. Please have a look if you can: Sturdy Swifter - Journey to A*A*A

Thank you, I'll be sure to check it out! :cute:

IMG_7479.jpg

Until then,
- Emily x

Spoiler

Don’t worry, Domino’s is healthier than the 5 packets of sweets I bought today to keep me awake as I had to stay in school until 9😂 also pls donate some work ethic and organisation to me, I am severely lacking in those departments
Oh fine, I give in... add me to the already lengthy tag list!
Could I be added to the tag list too? I keep missing things :'(
Original post by zq01
Don’t worry, Domino’s is healthier than the 5 packets of sweets I bought today to keep me awake as I had to stay in school until 9😂 also pls donate some work ethic and organisation to me, I am severely lacking in those departments

Sweets sound really good right now :redface:
I hardly have enough work ethic for myself, not sure there's enough there to be sharing :laugh:

Original post by Retrodiction
Oh fine, I give in... add me to the already lengthy tag list!

"I give in" ... sounds promising :giggle:
I'll put you on the tag list now :yep:

Original post by 10cking
Could I be added to the tag list too? I keep missing things :'(

Ah! I'll add you right now :grin:
Please add me on the tag list.
Original post by sturdy swifter
Please add me on the tag list.

I've added you now! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending