The Student Room Group

A levels and next steps

In year 11 rn, put down a level choices in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics for next year, predicted 7 level 8s and 2 7s and an a in add maths. Just wondering what I should think of adding in the next couple years to pad out my uni application- ie. is an EPQ worth it, what looks good etc.
also, I’m doing this world challenge thing, does that help?
Original post by caspian&anakin
In year 11 rn, put down a level choices in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics for next year, predicted 7 level 8s and 2 7s and an a in add maths. Just wondering what I should think of adding in the next couple years to pad out my uni application- ie. is an EPQ worth it, what looks good etc.
also, I’m doing this world challenge thing, does that help?

What are you interested in studying at university?
Original post by PQ
What are you interested in studying at university?

I’m interested in doing some form of engineering, maybe chemical or aero
Original post by caspian&anakin
I’m interested in doing some form of engineering, maybe chemical or aero

Then your best bet is to look into summer schools for engineering. They’ll give you more insight into the different strands of engineering and the options open to you. Headstart, nuffield and uniq are the main one iirr but there’s others. Doing some extra research (the iChemEng has an excellent blog on chem eng in every day life, visiting industry, talking to engineers etc about their day to day jobs and their career) won’t hurt either:smile:

Engineering degrees include a fair amount of group project work too. So getting involved in some projects (ideally designing and building) is usually a good idea. Follow your interests - if something looks like fun/interesting to you then go for it! You might end up finding something new that you love.

An epq is often a good idea so put it down as a possible if you’re interested but make sure it doesn’t stop you getting the best grades possible in your A level subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending