The Student Room Group

Pressured To Do Science

So for college, i was thinking of doing Further maths, a level maths and economics, however, all my friends and family thinks that there is only money in science and that I will not get a well-paying job. I honestly hate science with a passion and have always been interested in finance and honestly its been a small dream of mine to wear a nice suit and tie to work. My dad seriously got pissed when I told him did not want to do science and I'd have to disappoint him.

Should I do science instead?

Scroll to see replies

No do what you want. Seriously. It's your life and you don't want to be depressed for the rest of your life because you are the one going to work.
Reply 2
Original post by tamil fever
No do what you want. Seriously. It's your life and you don't want to be depressed for the rest of your life because you are the one going to work.

Thanks for the reply,
I'm not sure if my options go well with each other.
Original post by Keslo
Thanks for the reply,
I'm not sure if my options go well with each other.

Do what you enjoy and what will make you happy.I think your options are fine together.
tell them ur not gonna enjoy it , and if u dont enjoy doing bio and chem a-level then ur probs gonna fail , tell them that
Reply 5
Original post by Keslo
So for college, i was thinking of doing Further maths, a level maths and economics, however, all my friends and family thinks that there is only money in science and that I will not get a well-paying job. I honestly hate science with a passion and have always been interested in finance and honestly its been a small dream of mine to wear a nice suit and tie to work. My dad seriously got pissed when I told him did not want to do science and I'd have to disappoint him.

your dads a nonce
Reply 6
Original post by Ray_Shadows
tell them ur not gonna enjoy it , and if u dont enjoy doing bio and chem a-level then ur probs gonna fail , tell them that

I didn't think about it in that way, I'll for sure raise that point with them.
Reply 7
Original post by xdmccann
your dads a nonce

His hearts in the right place, he used to be an aircraft engineer so I guess he was hoping I would follow in his footsteps.
Original post by Keslo

Swear finance pays a lot more than science anyway lol. It's a really stressful field but I doubt that money is often a problem in finance.
You make way more money in finance lol. If you like and are good at maths, doing maths+fm is a good shout although if you hate science keep in mind you'll have to do a decent amount of mechanics as a part of maths a-level.
You can wear a suit and tie as a scientist...however the above is all correct. You're more likely to do poorly in subjects you don't enjoy, and besides that I'd argue economics and finance are a more popular and potentially higher earnings potential area...however there is a great deal more competition. Also economics is basically "maths, but if you're evil" so...
Reply 11
Don't worry about them not being a good fit! If you look at the entrance requirements for subjects like Economics or Finance (as they'll give you the best chance of a career in finance) you'll see that those A-Levels in fact fit very well together. Something that you might have to think about more is where you want to study, as with the Finance in particular where you study can matter just as much if not more than what you study. Plus nobody can reasonably say that there isn't money in finance :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Jooms
Don't worry about them not being a good fit! If you look at the entrance requirements for subjects like Economics or Finance (as they'll give you the best chance of a career in finance) you'll see that those A-Levels in fact fit very well together. Something that you might have to think about more is where you want to study, as with the Finance in particular where you study can matter just as much if not more than what you study. Plus nobody can reasonably say that there isn't money in finance :tongue:

True, I guess I really have to start working if I want to end up at a really good university.
Reply 13
Original post by Keslo

i'm choosing the same a levels as you except i am also doing physics, and i also want to go into finance later on in life. Finance is definitely a more rewarding place to go into if you work hard, and courses like medicine and dentistry are a lot more competitive to get into. You definitely shouldn't do any science at a level if you are going to hate it. They are hard enough, and if you hate it you will struggle to get good grades. Stress this to your father, and he should understand.
Reply 14
Original post by Keslo

If you hate Science, which I do not relate to at all as I'm studying Science at Uni now, then you won't do well, as has been said. If you don't enjoy it then even studying and doing well in exams will not be enough as that really tests memory of facts. You need to be passionate about it and understand it to be able to be effective. I was really not into Maths and did really badly in my exams for it. just wasn't interested in learning about what we needed to know.

Do what you want to, as you won't get far in something you hate.
If he's absolutely going to force you to, bargain and take Physics? It's the most 'helpful' of the sciences for Finance or anything Math-related. Obviously it'd be better if you didn't have to, though.
Reply 16
Thanks for the replies all, I talked about it with him and he respects my decision and he understands, he was disappointed that I did not pursue science, however, he is proud that I am going to apply for further maths as its probably one of the hardest a levels.
You can’t do well doing something you hate. You need to be able to be passionate about learning, not wanting to die every lesson.
Original post by Keslo

I'm currently studying maths and further maths and honestly I love both of them. I'm also studying physics and a lot of my friends are studying biology and chemistry. With any a-levels theres a sh*t tonne of work, and if you don't enjoy the subject you're studying, you will hate having to revise, or even complete work for it. Ultimately, chose the subjects you want to do. My parents wanted me to chose very different subjects to those I ended up chosing, I know they weren't happy, but it made me happy & I enjoy doing the work and revising as it genuinely interests me. Sorry for the long reply but i can associate with you on your dilemma, hope everything goes well ! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by rebekah150
I'm currently studying maths and further maths and honestly I love both of them. I'm also studying physics and a lot of my friends are studying biology and chemistry. With any a-levels theres a sh*t tonne of work, and if you don't enjoy the subject you're studying, you will hate having to revise, or even complete work for it. Ultimately, chose the subjects you want to do. My parents wanted me to chose very different subjects to those I ended up chosing, I know they weren't happy, but it made me happy & I enjoy doing the work and revising as it genuinely interests me. Sorry for the long reply but i can associate with you on your dilemma, hope everything goes well ! :smile:

That's awesome man, I am glad you're enjoying a levels.
Do you think choosing further maths and a levels is a good choice, I'm only doing it to ensure I don't fall behind in further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest