The Student Room Group

jamestg's first year

Well you're probably (not) wondering how things are going for me at university, and it has been a really mixed bag.

Socially it's been amazing. I've made lots of new friends, I really like my flatmates and I've tried new things as well as kept up others. Honestly this was the most anxious-ridden area of uni life, especially as it's so hyped up, but it's far exceeded expectations - especially since I put myself in clearing. Obviously I've done quite a few regretful and *****y things, but it's part of uni life and it's better to make mistakes now than later down the line.

However, my course is where things get a bit sticky. The workload is huge with many more contact hours than at my other uni choices and there are so many assignments to keep up with. They take so long, which isn't a problem, but it really dampens the mood and makes me question whether I chose the right course. The pace is also so quick I literally cannot catch up on my work and this week I've been ill so have missed quite a few lectures which worsens the situation.

I've considered dropping out/changing course, but I really want to stay with the people I've made friends with. I don't know if I'm overreacting, if people are merely suffering in silence, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned that I won't get at least a 2:1 which virtually renders the three years worthless.

I called my mum this evening about what I'm thinking and she said she's "disappointed" and would be "angry" if I dropped out.

I really, really, hope things get better but honestly I cannot see an avenue for things to get better :frown: or am I just having mid-term blues?
Original post by jamestg
Well you're probably (not) wondering how things are going for me at university, and it has been a really mixed bag.

Socially it's been amazing. I've made lots of new friends, I really like my flatmates and I've tried new things as well as kept up others. Honestly this was the most anxious-ridden area of uni life, especially as it's so hyped up, but it's far exceeded expectations - especially since I put myself in clearing. Obviously I've done quite a few regretful and *****y things, but it's part of uni life and it's better to make mistakes now than later down the line.

However, my course is where things get a bit sticky. The workload is huge with many more contact hours than at my other uni choices and there are so many assignments to keep up with. They take so long, which isn't a problem, but it really dampens the mood and makes me question whether I chose the right course. The pace is also so quick I literally cannot catch up on my work and this week I've been ill so have missed quite a few lectures which worsens the situation.

I've considered dropping out/changing course, but I really want to stay with the people I've made friends with. I don't know if I'm overreacting, if people are merely suffering in silence, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned that I won't get at least a 2:1 which virtually renders the three years worthless.

I called my mum this evening about what I'm thinking and she said she's "disappointed" and would be "angry" if I dropped out.

I really, really, hope things get better but honestly I cannot see an avenue for things to get better :frown: or am I just having mid-term blues?

subbing james :jumphug: rooting for you all the way :hugs:
If it makes you feel any better, I've thought about dropping out too because the distractions at home are not helping me or the ridiculously high work load.

But don't give up just yet.
You can do this! :rave:
Original post by jamestg

I'd say mid-term blues.:yep: You have been ill after all.:redface: (get well soon)

Your Mum's not you. She's not doing this degree. She's entitled to be angry but don't let her influence your decisions.

Don't worry about your degree classification at this early stage.:nah: You have lots of TIME even though it's going so quickly at the moment.

Subbing.:cool:
I think you should stick with it for now, you’re at the rough patch most people experience in the middle of the term. But if it does come to it, it should be your decision alone.

Assuming you went into clearing I’m guessing that you missed out on a place at an elite sort of uni (not a criticism this happens to many people I know, A Levels are tough man). Those unis do have less contact hours but the independent workload is through the roof, so I’m not trying to sound patronising but you’d probably struggle even more there (as most do), although maybe that style would suit you better.

I think it’s good to feel challenged, you got to rise to it. I’d say wait until you get your first exam results, around January, right? To see how you feel. You could even put a uni application in by that time just to see if you get any offers anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I think you should stick with it for now, you’re at the rough patch most people experience in the middle of the term. But if it does come to it, it should be your decision alone.

Assuming you went into clearing I’m guessing that you missed out on a place at an elite sort of uni (not a criticism this happens to many people I know, A Levels are tough man). Those unis do have less contact hours but the independent workload is through the roof, so I’m not trying to sound patronising but you’d probably struggle even more there (as most do), although maybe that style would suit you better.

I think it’s good to feel challenged, you got to rise to it. I’d say wait until you get your first exam results, around January, right? To see how you feel. You could even put a uni application in by that time just to see if you get any offers anyway.

My course is different to the one I was originally going to do at Durham. I was going to do straight Econ but I'm now doing maths and economics.

However got my first results back, 90% in my stats assessment (30% of the module) and 90% in my algebra exam this morning! So things definitely have turned around!
Reply 6
Original post by jamestg
However got my first results back, 90% in my stats assessment (30% of the module) and 90% in my algebra exam this morning! So things definitely have turned around!

:party:
Original post by jamestg
My course is different to the one I was originally going to do at Durham. I was going to do straight Econ but I'm now doing maths and economics.

:yay: Happy to read this.:hugs:
Reply 8
Did my calculus exam yesterday, extremely happy to say that I got 80%! My other two exams last week also went well, however I won't get the results back for a while.

What's quite nice is we are ranked for each module overall and also each piece of work we do. I'm currently 75/216 for algebra and 80/216 for calculus. Considering I didn't do FM and the vast majority of entrants here do, I'm pretty chuffed!!
Reply 9
Results for the two big exams on Monday! Quite nervous considering £3,000 was *technically* spent on tuition for those exams and I don't know how well I did...
Reply 10
I averaged a 2.1 for the first term!! Got a first in probability and stats and a 2.1 in the other exam I took. Best thing is I've averaged 68% so far which isn't half bad!!
Reply 11
Well I got a solid 2.1 which I was pretty chuffed with, and firsts in stats and then econometrics!!
Original post by jamestg
Well I got a solid 2.1 which I was pretty chuffed with, and firsts in stats and then econometrics!!

what is maths and economics like at uni? eg the workload, content, hows it taught, lectures seminars, and is there a lot of essay writing ?
Reply 13
Original post by CraigBackner
what is maths and economics like at uni? eg the workload, content, hows it taught, lectures seminars, and is there a lot of essay writing ?

Heavy workload, lots of contact hours and lots of content. I had 20hrs+ of contact most weeks and roughly 3/4 assignments per week.

The essays will depend on your course and what the Econ modules are like. My Econ modules for first year had no essays involved but from 2nd onwards for me there will be a couple per week. I did however have a maths essay to write, which was interesting to say the least...
Good job mate. What's your plans for the future, career that sort of thing? Im guessing you're in a good position
Original post by jamestg
Heavy workload, lots of contact hours and lots of content. I had 20hrs+ of contact most weeks and roughly 3/4 assignments per week.

The essays will depend on your course and what the Econ modules are like. My Econ modules for first year had no essays involved but from 2nd onwards for me there will be a couple per week. I did however have a maths essay to write, which was interesting to say the least...

maths essay? lol for example\?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending