The Student Room Group

Can I abbreviate in my Personal Statement?

I'm applying for politics and international relations and was wondering If I could use abbreviations such as 'IR' for International relations and 'BRIC'S' instead of newly emerging economies? (Trying to reduce my word count!)
Write "international relations (IR)" the first time then refer to it as "IR" after that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Meenalk
I'm applying for politics and international relations and was wondering If I could use abbreviations such as 'IR' for International relations and 'BRIC'S' instead of newly emerging economies? (Trying to reduce my word count!)

Try harder to avoid repetition.
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
Try harder to avoid repetition.

of the use of IR?
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
Write "international relations (IR)" the first time then refer to it as "IR" after that.

I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thank you :smile:
Original post by Meenalk
of the use of IR?

To keep re-using a long and clumsy noun, so clumsy it needs an abbreviation, is not a good idea, as a read through (aloud) of your PS will reveal to you.
Reply 6
To keep re-using a long and clumsy noun, so clumsy it needs an abbreviation, is not a good idea, as a read through (aloud) of your PS will reveal to you.

I've only mentioned it 3 times... It's just the fact that it takes up so many characters, and I'm already above the character limit by 200 so was wondering if it was acceptable.
Original post by Meenalk
I've only mentioned it 3 times

Well, that is two too many.
Well, that is two too many.

not like it's the course name or anything :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending