The Student Room Group

Lets revise together! : A-level History, AQA Tudors and Nazis

Hey guys! This is my first post as a host, so I hope it's in the right category.

I'm usually good at achieving things, but often I find it difficult to stick to motives and find it super helpful to have a group where we all have the same goals and can simultaneously console each-other to reach that goal. My aim is to get an A*, and I thought perhaps it might be helpful to have a few fellow students join me! We can give revision advice, set up time slots for 'study groups' where we can revise together, so we have an allocated time everyday to keep our revision on track , give particular tips in relation to History revision, and/or share resources etc.

Feel free to join even if you aren't doing the same topics as myself, it might be more beneficial/ relevant if we're all dong the same topic but, as long as it's History, I think it might be of some help to everyone.

Please feel free to join me or message me in regards to this, lets aim for the starts together!
Sounds good, sadly I’m only doing GCSE at the moment - though we’re studying the Nazi’s and Elizabeth I.
Good luck :-)
Hi :smile: I’m doing AQA A Level and also aiming for an A*! I do the 1C Tudor unit and 2N Russia unit. I am really massively struggling with unit 1 exam responses. I am completely happy with unit 2 and find it quite easy and more GCSE like but the historiography and Tudor period in general has me a little stumped. I would love to start a study group type thing!
Reply 3
Original post by charlotteto
Hi :smile: I’m doing AQA A Level and also aiming for an A*! I do the 1C Tudor unit and 2N Russia unit. I am really massively struggling with unit 1 exam responses. I am completely happy with unit 2 and find it quite easy and more GCSE like but the historiography and Tudor period in general has me a little stumped. I would love to start a study group type thing!

Hey, nice to meet you! wow Russia, wish we were doing that too, so sick of Germany to be honest haha.

I on the other hand, actually find the Tudor periods to be the easiest/most interesting out of all my units, maybe I can help you out there :biggrin: I'm awful with self discipline, so could do with someone there to hep me out with actually sitting down to revise and get stuck in; maybe you could help me with that? :P

Since I've never done this before, how do you suppose we're supposed to go about this study group thing?
Original post by Saf5238
Hey, nice to meet you! wow Russia, wish we were doing that too, so sick of Germany to be honest haha.

I on the other hand, actually find the Tudor periods to be the easiest/most interesting out of all my units, maybe I can help you out there :biggrin: I'm awful with self discipline, so could do with someone there to hep me out with actually sitting down to revise and get stuck in; maybe you could help me with that? :P

Since I've never done this before, how do you suppose we're supposed to go about this study group thing?

I like Russia more than I thought I would, especially the nitty gritty bits that aren’t as much common knowledge. I find exam technique for the Tudors so difficult and I can’t find a structure that allows me to tick all the boxes?

How do you normally revise/what do you find works best for you? I think just having an allotted time where we all have to work is a good start but maybe use some kind of video call or whatever so that you can be held accountable?
Reply 5
I like Russia more than I thought I would, especially the nitty gritty bits that aren’t as much common knowledge. I find exam technique for the Tudors so difficult and I can’t find a structure that allows me to tick all the boxes?

How do you normally revise/what do you find works best for you? I think just having an allotted time where we all have to work is a good start but maybe use some kind of video call or whatever so that you can be held accountable?

Yess, accountability is what I really need here. Vid call sounds brill, we'll have to sort an allocated time slot. I can start everything properly with you after the 16th, i have some deadlines till then T_T

As for structure, it really depends on the question given. There are only a handful of question types, for example; "Despite the break with Rome, H8 never seriously abandoned the catholic faith in the years 1529 to 1547. Explain why you agree or disagree with this view". So in this type of question, there is a clear either/or answer structure, where you would write about all the events and facts that showed that he had in fact abandoned his faith, then argue about reason against the view point mentioned in the question. For the top tire mark, (A*), you need to argue about whether he had SERIOUSLY abandoned it or not...so your conclusion has to be a solid backed up of your own knowledge.

Questions such as "To what extent"... is asking you to again, write in the format of 'on the one hand...however on the other hand' sort of thing- then conclude ofc.

As for source based questions, they usually ask for which was the "more convincing interpretation" of a topic. Here what you need to do, is first understand the overall message of the sources, and mention this right at the start of your essay. Back up anything the source is saying with your own knowledge, and even if you know something to counter attack the source, write about it. you do this with both sources, see which one was most relevant to the question posed, and compare then against each other. Use whatever OWN KNOWLEDGE you can, that's how you bag the marks. Then conclude.
Reply 6
Original post by Rachel Gilpin
I'd like to join if that's okay. I'm studying Tudors and Revolutionary Russia. Currently in Year 13. I lack some serious motivation and really struggle to actually sit down and get some work done!

Hey Rachel, I can totally relate!! To be honest, motivation is trash, it’s never there when we need it, and appears in short and unpredictable bursts. Unfortunately I’ve recently learnt that we really can’t rely on motivation to get things done. With that said however, you’re free to join us of course! I’m the same as you, the hardest aspect of revision for me is to just sit the damn down and start revision. That’s why I thought something like this be helpful, not only to me but all the other students like me, to help us reach our fullest potential. We haven’t yet got any solid olans on how we’re goin to execute this , so far we’re planning to see perhaps we can video call eachother on an allocated time slot to study together everyday. Any ideas?
This seems like such a great idea even though I do Russia - 1E and British Historyy- 2S. I seriously need some motivation to revise history because there's just so many facts and figures to remember. Like I keep putting it off but mocks are just around the corner aghh
Reply 8
Original post by BubblegumPops
This seems like such a great idea even though I do Russia - 1E and British Historyy- 2S. I seriously need some motivation to revise history because there's just so many facts and figures to remember. Like I keep putting it off but mocks are just around the corner aghh

Saaameee 😩😩😩 I’m pusingit back cause I have so MNAY coursework deadlines right now, but I REALLLYY should start revision already criii
Original post by Saf5238
Saaameee 😩😩😩 I’m pusingit back cause I have so MNAY coursework deadlines right now, but I REALLLYY should start revision already criii

TBH in terms of coursework I am okay because we're still making notes and stuff so I try spend the weekend doing coursework for now and make notes for everything but history during the week aghh. The best thing might be to talk to ur teacher for help? Also what question are u doing? I might be able to help you? and what other subjects do you do?

(I’m doing OCR history so slightly different) But I also understand Russia quite well but Tudor just baffles me slightly, it’s all very confusing!

I’m doing Nazi Germany and the Holocaust for my coursework. ☺️
Reply 11
I would like to join if that's okay. I doAQA A level 1C Tudors and 2Q America and I'm finding it challenging, especially structuring the essays and getting high marks on them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending