The Student Room Group

Urgent: Law judicial precedent latin words

Hello, I understand that judicial precedent means judge made law however I am struggling to understand what the purpose of the Latin words are (ratio decindi etc.). Do they amount to what is known as a JP or are they forms of JP?
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, are you simply asking what the ratio and obiter are? Haven't you googled it?

Ratio = the key point that determines the case, the principle that the case establishes. It is binding precedent on lower courts.

Obiter = an expression of opinion by the judge which is not a key of the decision on the case. It is not binding.
Original post by Crumpet1
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, are you simply asking what the ratio and obiter are? Haven't you googled it?

Ratio = the key point that determines the case, the principle that the case establishes. It is binding precedent on lower courts.

Obiter = an expression of opinion by the judge which is not a key of the decision on the case. It is not binding.

I do not understand the relevance of the Latin words to Judicial Precedent. Are they what cause a precedent or are they separate forms of precedent? What is their job? Google's just confused me completely
Original post by g._.k16
I do not understand the relevance of the Latin words to Judicial Precedent. Are they what cause a precedent or are they separate forms of precedent? What is their job? Google's just confused me completely

The ratio is the binding part of the case. It is judicial precedent. The obiter is not.

Read this, especially para 5:

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/contract-law/there-are-two-types-of-precedent-contract-law-essay.php

Quick Reply

Latest