The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are people NOT homophobic??

Scroll to see replies

I agree with you, we’re coming to an age where being gay is the normal!
Are they affecting your daily life, if so then you can hate them if you want but if they don't then why hate them?

I don't know any gay people and so they don't affect my daily life so I don't hate them. Even if I knew a gay person I wouldn't hate them either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312
Religious people have been overrepresented for thousands of years for simply no good reason.Things are finally going the other way.God has never been observed by anyone in the entire history of humanity.Gay people however definitely exist. I can show you a gay person.Show me god and then maybe I'll have time for religious people.Until then I couldn't care less if someone insults someones silly beliefs in magic and superstition.

Another irrelevant and illogical off piste point.
Original post by thetoebeans
that statement is inherently false. literally anyone who even has the basic understanding of genes from GCSE understands that there is a significantly higher chance of recessive alleles being expressed if the parents both have one copy of the allele (which is much more likely to be the case if the parents are from the same parents, as there is less genetic diversity).

please read this before continuing to talk to me

also please explain why you're defending incest when it has literally nothing to do homosexuality? like.... how is that helping ur homophobic argument lmfao

Some of you really need to read carefully and not rush to spew your dogma at all cost.

There is no place I have defended incest or even related it to homosexuality. If you read without you dogmatic aim, you would see how the incest issue came up.

As for your link, I suggest you too read this:

https://www.larasig.com/node/2020

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/59587-does-incest-necessarily-lead-to-birth-defects/

They suggest far lower percentages.

Do you know the possibility of many West African couples (unrelated) with both AS genotype having a Sickle Cell baby? ..................25%

Are we going to legislate that they should not marry each other or procreate?

What are the chances of passing on a lot of hereditary diseases? .............50%.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/inheritance/riskassessment

Are we going to say it is illegal for them to marry and procreate?
Original post by Texxers
So I'm abnormal for having an opinion that's different to the average user on TSR?

No, we all have our own opinions but what is normal? Also who said that we can't love whoever we want? People have to defend themselves because even in this day and age members of the LGBT+ community get discriminated against. And whats so wrong about them? What difference does it make to the world if people are members of the LGBT+ community??
Original post by Peterbokor
we’re coming to an age where being gay is the normal!

I mean we're not, LGT+ are still very much a minority (I'm leaving out the B since you can easily argue either way as to whether most people are bi to some degree depending on how you define bisexual).

If you actually mean becoming normal (very different from being the norm), then Yes, and?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBeams

There is no place I have defended incest or even related it to homosexuality. If you read without your dogmatic aim, you would see how the incest issue came up.

you initially compared incestual relationships to gay relationships when "testing" PerhapsPhysio's statement in which they said "I think what's most confusing is why someone wouldn't support two PEOPLE in a relationship". clearly you were clearly expecting them to say that they disagree with incest and then ask what makes homosexuality so different, despite the fact the two things are incomparable.

also, you asked them if they would consider a "brother and sister" in a relationship. if you actually read your sources, they would be classed as "first degree", meaning they share 1/2 of their genes. this would give a 25% interbreeding coefficient, a 31.4% chance of death/severe defect and a 11.2-6.8% chance of a significant birth defect, if i read your sources correctly. of course the interbreeding coefficient decreases as they move further away in the family tree but your own example suggests a first degree relationship.

also thanks for clarifying that your other example is unrelated, that really does spare me bothering to respond to it ^_^
(edited 6 years ago)
you initially compared incestual relationships to gay relationships when "testing" PerhapsPhysio's statement in which they said "I think what's most confusing is why someone wouldn't support two PEOPLE in a relationship". clearly you were clearly expecting them to say that they disagree with incest and then ask what makes homosexuality so different, despite the fact the two things are incomparable.

also, you asked them if they would consider a "brother and sister" in a relationship. if you actually read your sources, they would be classed as "first degree", meaning they share 1/2 of their genes. this would give a 25% interbreeding coefficient, a 31.4% chance of death/severe defect and a 11.2-6.8% chance of a significant birth defect, if i read your sources correctly. of course the interbreeding coefficient decreases as they move further away in the family tree but your own example suggests a first degree relationship.

also thanks for clarifying that your other example is unrelated, that really does spare me bothering to respond to it ^_^

Okay, humour me by stating verbatim the comparison I made.
Okay, humour me by stating verbatim the comparison I made.

thanks for failing to respond to anything other than one tiny piece of my post :smile:
you do that quite a lot, don't you?

also you were clearly trying to test the limits of physio's "support of two people in a relationship", since you were trying to compare a homosexual relationship to a incestual and then ask if they supported the latter despite the obvious differences in either. i'm assuming you used incest because of it's abnormality, but that would suggest that you fail to understand homosexuality on any other basis except how atypical and "abnormal" it is.
thanks for failing to respond to anything other than one tiny piece of my post :smile:
you do that quite a lot, don't you?

also you were clearly trying to test the limits of physio's "support of two people in a relationship", since you were trying to compare a homosexual relationship to a incestual and then ask if they supported the latter despite the obvious differences in either. i'm assuming you used incest because of it's abnormality, but that would suggest that you fail to understand homosexuality on any other basis except how atypical and "abnormal" it is.

I do that EVERYTIME someone chats crap by misrepresenting my statements/position. Ask @shadowdweller, she experienced such in full effect last week.

When you prove your nonsense, then other discussions can be had. I don't tolerate strawmans.

Now again: Humour me by stating verbatim the comparison I made.
Personally I am against people who are hateful, unkind, violent, knowingly stupid (eg drunk drivers). I am not against people for what they do in their private lives as long as it doesn't physically or emotionally hurt someone else. The gay people I know are kind, honest, funny, full of love, so why would I not like them? No-one is born with any prejudices; they learn them from people who don't have high IQs. People are often frightened of what they don't understand. Ask yourself this: if you were lying dying in the street would you care if a gay person saved your life by performing CPR and kiss of life, or would you prefer they kept well away from you? If the latter, then your IQ is definitely low and I would put you in the 'knowingly stupid' category (kind of same as ISIS killers who have no respect for their own lives). My judgement of you is based on your hatefulness towards other humans - you are right at the bottom of the list as far as I am concerned. Have a nice day.
I do that EVERYTIME someone chats crap by misrepresenting my statements/position. Ask @shadowdweller, she experienced such in full effect last week.

When you prove your nonsense, then other discussions can be had. I don't tolerate strawmans.

actually, i wasn't misrepresenting your statements at all :smile: the relationship you used as an example was first degree, meaning that either you failed to actually read your sources or actually think i'm talking about incest in general, which is totally unrelated to this thread :smile:

anyway, i have to ask: why bring up such a relationship in response to physio's statement if not to compare it? explain your reasoning for essentially derailing the thread to go on a pointless argument on the inherent issues with incest?
You totally have the right to say you’re against it or don’t agree with it, you may be influenced by your culture or education or something and it’s totally normal, thank God we all have different opinions. But what wouldn’t be acceptable is thinking that, just because you don’t agree with it, it means it’s wrong; what isn’t acceptable is stopping other people from doing what they want just because you don’t agree with it

I did experience you refusing to address points, yes.
Well, if you really insist on going that way, take the liberty to answer all three.

Which do you think is more represented on TV? LGBT or religious people?

1) In the number of people.

2) In the number of shows.

3) In the form of representation that expresses and pushes the community's image, consideration and issues on TV in a non-critical way.

The number of people is less clear, given that LGBT tend to be a single character or a few within a show, where religion is a central theme of more shows and as such there will be a considerably higher number within any one.

The number of shows again, it depends what we're talking; I'd actually argue that it's not a huge difference though, given that shows with an LGBT character will quite often have at least one religious character too.

Positive representation is still a huge issue within LGBt characters, so I'm not sure I'd say either has a particularly good expression of community image right now.
actually, i wasn't misrepresenting your statements at all :smile: the relationship you used as an example was first degree, meaning that either you failed to actually read your sources or actually think i'm talking about incest in general, which is totally unrelated to this thread :smile:

anyway, i have to ask: why bring up such a relationship in response to physio's statement if not to compare it? explain your reasoning for essentially derailing the thread to go on a pointless argument on the inherent issues with incest?

Is this the verbatim quotation I asked you to provide as proof?
Original post by shadowdweller
I did experience you refusing to address points, yes.

You experience my refusal to answer points or experienced me challenging your strawmans?

Be clear now, you know I don't like liars.
The number of people is less clear, given that LGBT tend to be a single character or a few within a show, where religion is a central theme of more shows and as such there will be a considerably higher number within any one.

It is a very clear question.

Review the amount of Christian main characters that are written on TV shows like Eastenders, Coronation Streets, HollyOaks etc. with specific focus on their christian values and compare with those written for LGBT main characters.

Surely homosexuality is not supposed to be the central theme of such shows but it is somehow always accommodated unlike religious people?

The number of shows again, it depends what we're talking; I'd actually argue that it's not a huge difference though, given that shows with an LGBT character will quite often have at least one religious character too.

You are right on this one but with a catch though.

Christian TV shows are usually written based on historical context or events, not modern context or events.

LGBT shows are written based on ingratiation of the community with society, with the ultimate aim of acceptance and embracement. That is the catch and the big difference.

Positive representation is still a huge issue within LGBt characters, so I'm not sure I'd say either has a particularly good expression of community image right now.

Can you list the major shows and films you know that has been written in the last 10 years where an LGBT character in it is written in a negative context/light?
You experience my refusal to answer points or experienced me challenging your strawmans?

Be clear now, you know I don't like liars.

I experienced you refusing to answer points. There wasn't a strawman, however, just a misinterpretation of your initial post.
I experienced you refusing to answer points. There wasn't a strawman, however, just a misinterpretation of your initial post.

Well, as I clearly stated, strawmans are usually claimed to be "interpretations" or "an explanation of what someone-else implies" by the the strawman thrower.

Can you highlight the points I refused to answer? I am pretty much sure I answered every single one of your pointe before you went silent on the thread. Feel free to go back and highlight what you think was not answered and I would answer with aplomb.

Latest

Trending

Trending