The Student Room Group

Split the bill equally or just pay for what you've eaten?

Poll

Do you split the bill equally or just pay for what you eat?

I came across an article on The Sun (no judgement pls it was a one off) that claims a woman on Mumsnet has been branded 'joyless' when she refused to pay more than her share of the bill when having a meal out.

Which made me think...

If you're out for dinner, do you think it's acceptable to only pay for what you've eaten?

Or, do you think it's good form to split the bill down the middle?

I'm usually a pay-for-what-I've-had type of gal, unless I'm with my besties or I'm rolling in the $$$$.

If I'm only having a main, there ain't no way I'm funding someone else's cocktails and three course meal :innocent::noway:

How about you? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

I just split it evenly - can never be bothered with all of that hassle.
Really depends on who it's with and how much money I have! Generally speaking though, I'm not paying towards everyone else's alcohol when I've just had a Coke. I'd rather just pay for my own stuff if splitting equally is significantly more expensive :angel:
Split the bill! Im the one who usually orders the most food so i benefit from it :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Paracosm
I just split it evenly - can never be bothered with all of that hassle.

I feels ya - bit awks when everyone gets their phones out to calculate their share to the penny. Just round it up and be on your way!

However, I do second this:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really depends on who it's with and how much money I have! Generally speaking though, I'm not paying towards everyone else's alcohol when I've just had a Coke. I'd rather just pay for my own stuff if splitting equally is significantly more expensive :angel:
Most of the times I'll just go dutch, as they say. :wink:
I'm more likely to split from the middle if I'm the most expensive one, and if the difference is sufficiently small.
Reply 6
Original post by Kayleighm18
Split the bill! Im the one who usually orders the most food so i benefit from it :biggrin:

Ha! You've got it sorted :wink:
Original post by discobish
I feels ya - bit awks when everyone gets their phones out to calculate their share to the penny. Just round it up and be on your way!

However, I do second this:

Fair point, I just couldn't face the hassle - it would irritate me more than the extra £3 or whatever to split the bill. :tongue:
I prefer to only pay for what I have. I rarely spend much on a meal out, normally sticking to the cheaper main meals and tap water. Also because I was the only one out of my friends paying with my own money (they all got it from their parents) I was more aware of the value of it, whereas they were happy to get expensive food because it meant nothing to them. If the difference between paying for what I have and splitting the bill is small, then I don't mind doing it that way.
Reply 9
Depends on how much as been spent. I can negate £5 but if I were to have spent £15 and everyone else was well above that I'm not paying for other people to have more to drink.
Reply 10
When I go out, we just tend to order separately to avoid this.
Just split it unless someone was quaffing the cocktails, then just work out a rough amount rather than exactly. It's not worth the time or the upset.
Reply 12
Original post by Paracosm
Fair point, I just couldn't face the hassle - it would irritate me more than the extra £3 or whatever to split the bill. :tongue:

Haha, £3 is nuffffin. I'd only bother giving some sass if someone enjoyed 7 cocktails and a sirloin steak then expected everyone else to cough up :tongue:
Reply 13
Just don't do this...

[video="youtube;aSKbDTig42Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKbDTig42Q[/video]
Depends how much I have had to drink, how big the difference is and how much I like the person (aka if the person is a woman).
(edited 6 years ago)
Pay for what I had. Not rolling in it!
I don’t drink so won’t subsidise the bottles of wine and liqueur coffees and pay double what I’ve had. If I’ve offered to treat you however you can order what you like
Reply 16
Original post by Captain Jack
Just split it unless someone was quaffing the cocktails, then just work out a rough amount rather than exactly. It's not worth the time or the upset.

Repping purely for your use of the word 'quaff'.

Also, @Hungry Seagull has just been telling me he'd have to disagree...
Reply 17
Original post by UWS
Just don't do this...

SO AWKWARD. Obviously in that instance you'd just split it. And what kind of monster doesn't pay the service charge!?
Original post by UWS
Just don't do this...

I'm more surprised they're paying £140 for a meal for two at their ages!
Depends on who im with and what everyone else is doing. With friends less fussed. Everyones had roughly the same less fussed. happen to be flush then less fussed. With someone who ears a lot less, then less fussed. Not interested in being exploited by a stranger though.

I forgot to add. In the situation where ive had more than other people, then unless its covered by expenses or they are friends where you dont keep count I would almost certainly pay my share plus the extra, because I always pay my way and dont parasite off of people. Common sense, but I added the last bit because it would make me feel awkward knowing someone else had subbed me, unless they were very well off etc. U'm talking more than a few £.

Sounds complicated, but it really isnt.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest