The Student Room Group

Anthony Joshua v Deontay Wilder

Who wins, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eddie says negotiations will begin immediately.
Actually quite hard to call. It would definitely be Wilder's toughest test to date. But he has scored 38/39 KOs...
Reply 3
AJ: better technically, and he has fought and beaten tougher opponents than Wilder has and has been knocked down by one of the greatest heavyweights in Klitschko.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
AJ maybe if he drops a few lbs and speeds up. But then again I may be bias.Wilder is a tough one
Reply 5
Original post by chazwomaq
Actually quite hard to call. It would definitely be Wilder's toughest test to date. But he has scored 38/39 KOs...

His first 20 or so fights dont even count towards deciding who wins this fight
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by e^x
His first 20 or so fights dont even count towards deciding who wins this fight

Yeah, true of most boxers. Hard to call though wouldn't you say? Both very dangerous fighters.
Reply 7
Original post by chazwomaq
Yeah, true of most boxers. Hard to call though wouldn't you say? Both very dangerous fighters.

I'm not sure we know if Wilder can actually box. I think he has a haymaker's chance, but would guess he'll get boxed and beaten. Also AJ probably hits harder than he'd experienced, so expect him to get knocked out.

AJ has to be 4 to 1 favourite for the win. But who does he fight after that, as mostly steps down!
Reply 8
Original post by marcusgb
I'm not sure we know if Wilder can actually box.

I was thinking the same thing. His "left hook" against Stiverne just before he knocked him out seemed more like a slap.
Reply 9
Original post by e^x
I was thinking the same thing. His "left hook" against Stiverne just before he knocked him out seemed more like a slap.

lol, quite a heavy slap!
Reply 10
Rooting for AJ but he ain't ready for Wilder IMO.
AJ will win easy. Wilder is too sloppy he starts ***** slapping literally....AJ would catch him.
Joshua. Wilder is more experienced but look how he finished his last KO v Stiverne, not so much a boxing match but a scrap in a car park. Joshua is technically better but it depends whether he has the strength to trouble Wilder and is able to withstand his 'haymakers' (he should). For Wilder, it's best to be facing Joshua now.
Reply 13
Why does Wilder's body look weird for?
He looks quite skinny for a heavyweight.
Original post by Qwalk
Why does Wilder's body look weird for?
He looks quite skinny for a heavyweight.

He's 6 foot 7 (AJ is 6 foot 4 so he has a reach advantage) and around 103kilos..

He's significantly lighter than Joshua so he's gonna be quicker but Joshua will pack the punch.
Reply 15
I'd give AJ a slight edge if he comes in lighter than he did vs Takam.

When you have two men who hit hard, and have the potential to finish opponents, it largely comes down to who lands clean first. I think AJ's more technically sound than Wilder, too, for what it's worth. The Wilder we saw vs Stiverne isn't a danger to AJ. That's because he was telegraphing his shots and was completely open. He won't do that vs AJ - because of fear. That said, Wilder is a danger. He is quick and powerful - and much lighter on his feet.
I like Wilder as a person but Joshua ends it fairly early, inside 4
Wilder will murder him lmao, look at the speed difference between them and he's only 10kg lighter. AJ could barely breathe in his last fight.

@Palmyra @It's****ingWOODY thoughts?
Original post by Laissez‒faire
Wilder will murder him lmao, look at the speed difference between them and he's only 10kg lighter. AJ could barely breathe in his last fight.

@Palmyra @It's****ingWOODY thoughts?

10kg is a lot of extra weight to be slugging around.
If Anthony can come in significantly lighter then he should perform a lot better than his last fight and he stands every chance of winning. If he comes in at the same sorta weight, forget it, he'll be far too sluggish.
Original post by Laissez‒faire

@Palmyra @It's****ingWOODY thoughts? AJ has bad stamina issues related to his muscle mass, but Wilder sometimes takes time to turn up (eg against Gerald Washington) and he can’t afford to do that against AJ

AJ is far less experienced so I think it’s just too early for him so I’d back Wilder, especially because when he has someone hurt he really goes for the kill

Quick Reply

Latest