The Student Room Group

Student finance refused my loan "Home office check failed"

My student finance been refused because home office check failed. I been living in the country from 12 years and I recently got my ILR in July on basis on 10 year continue lawful resident in the country.

Student finance refuse my application as they told me that home office informed that not lawful in the country 3 year before the start of the course. So, I need to wait 3 years before apply for student finance.

I strongly believe this is wrong information given from home office, where my ILR was granted on the basis that I been living in the country lawfully from 10 years.

I have written a letter to student finance as asked to do another check and bring this to home office attention that I was not unlawful as my ILR was granted on lawful basis.

Please advise what else I can do in this case.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by cutebillz1
My student finance been refused because home office check failed. I been living in the country from 12 years and I recently got my ILR in July on basis on 10 year continue lawful resident in the country.

Student finance refuse my application as they told me that home office informed that not lawful in the country 3 year before the start of the course. So, I need to wait 3 years before apply for student finance.

I strongly believe this is wrong information given from home office, where my ILR was granted on the basis that I been living in the country lawfully from 10 years.

I have written a letter to student finance as asked to do another check and bring this to home office attention that I was not unlawful as my ILR was granted on lawful basis.

Thank you

This is interesting I don’t have much information but I’m here for answers
Were all 12 years legally in this country?
Reply 3
No reply from the reps yet?

This interests me, as i am also expecting SFE's response based on the Home Office check also. (Been waiting for over 3 weeks now).
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi i also have the same issue. Student finance are claiming that the HO can't confirm lawful status yet i have ILR i have provided this evidence already my ILR letter and biometric card and and they won't accept it. I even contacted the home office and was told those documents should prove my status. Its so weird that student finance do this i have even travelled recently used my biometric card and passport never had an issue with my status yet sfe won't accept it. I don't know what to do because i am likely to be kicked off the course if this isn't resolved asap. Have you had any updates about them doing another check?
Reply 5
Original post by Student1290
Hi i also have the same issue. Student finance are claiming that the HO can't confirm lawful status yet i have ILR i have provided this evidence already my ILR letter and biometric card and and they won't accept it. I even contacted the home office and was told those documents should prove my status. Its so weird that student finance do this i have even travelled recently used my biometric card and passport never had an issue with my status yet sfe won't accept it. I don't know what to do because i am likely to be kicked off the course if this isn't resolved asap. Have you had any updates about them doing another check?

Write to your MP stating all the details (dates, calls, attach copies of your evidence) and ask the office to intervene.

There is so much blatant discrimination and bias going on, i am ready to leave my course if i do not receive a favorable response from SFE, as i have applied for my British passport, so i will just reapply again next year.

Best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Tanya W
No reply from the reps yet?

This interests me, as i am also expecting SFE's response based on the Home Office check also. (Been waiting for over 3 weeks now).

This post isn't going to get a reply from the reps, as it hasn't been posted in the correct forum. I've now reported it and asked for it to be moved.
Original post by cutebillz1

Thank you

As we don't have access to accounts here I'm unable to view what the information returned by the Home Office in response to the check.

If you've already sent the letter requesting the check be submitted again and have no further evidence available then there would be an update once the process is complete.

The Home Office only allow us to sent a certain amount of checks each day. The queue is currently 15 working days long and the Home Office are taking around 10 working days to respond.

If you think a decision we have made in reflection to your funding application is incorrect, you may have the right to appeal. An appeal is a formal request to Student Finance England asking us to review our decision either on whether you are entitled to financial help or on the amount of funding we have awarded to you. More information on the process is available here.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 8
Hi, did u appeal and what was the outcome? As i am currently in the same situation as you. SFE are saying the home office checks said ive not been in the country legally for the last 3 years even though my indefinate leave to remain was granted on the basis that i had been here legally for 10 years
Reply 9
Hi there,Can you advise me on your outcome and what did you do if you succeeded in getting student finance?I have looked at many threads and it seems like those with ILR no matter for how many years, have the same problem.It would be great if you / or anyone?, could share what they did if they have ILR and student finance are asking for impossible documents!Thanks in advance...
Original post by Zainab96
Hi, did u appeal and what was the outcome? As i am currently in the same situation as you. SFE are saying the home office checks said ive not been in the country legally for the last 3 years even though my indefinate leave to remain was granted on the basis that i had been here legally for 10 years

Hi Zainab96

If you think a decision we have made in reflection to your funding application is incorrect, you may have the right to appeal. An appeal is a formal request to Student Finance England asking us to review our decision either on whether you are entitled to financial help or on the amount of funding we have awarded to you. More information on the process is available here.

Thanks
Gerard
Reply 11
was anyone successful in receiving their tuition fees after their appeals. I am currently in the same boat as you and Home office have told me that my IRL should be enough to prove my legal residence, but I still have got my first stage appeal denied.
Reply 12
I’m in the same boat. Waiting to hear back on my first appeal. On what grounds did they reject yours?
Reply 13
I haven't got an official reply but I have called them and I have been told that my appeal was unsuccessful. I am currently waiting for an official reply in a form of a letter, but it has been more than a month since I have sent the appeal and they only sent the letter on the 8th of September by second class. So instead of wasting time I have already sent my second appeal.
Reply 14
I am also in the same boat. My little sister who has sent in the EXACT same details as me got her student finance before me, but they’ve had my application on hold. We sent our documents at the same time too. They contacted Home Office in August and it’s October now, I still haven’t received a response. Having ILR basically means you HAVE been in the UK during that time so I don’t understand why that’s not information enough. Half the time you call them their system isn’t working or they give contradictory information about your profile. If I knew it was gonna be this stressful I wouldn’t have gone to uni.
Original post by Quaye
I am also in the same boat. My little sister who has sent in the EXACT same details as me got her student finance before me, but they’ve had my application on hold. We sent our documents at the same time too. They contacted Home Office in August and it’s October now, I still haven’t received a response. Having ILR basically means you HAVE been in the UK during that time so I don’t understand why that’s not information enough. Half the time you call them their system isn’t working or they give contradictory information about your profile. If I knew it was gonna be this stressful I wouldn’t have gone to uni.

Hi Quaye,

You can also contact us through Facebook or Twitter to look into your application. Currently Home Offices checks are being submitted within two weeks of a student making them. The Home Office should respond within 10 working days however due to this being a busy time of year this can be longer.

Warm regards,
Tégan
Reply 16
Hi Gerand,I am in the same situation as everyone else. After my First Stage Appeal has been refused, I appealed for a further review to Stage 2. However, I received another email that they have not escalated my appeal to stage 2 as they have seen the HO anomalies and they have requested further information from them. It is over a month now and I am yet to receive any update. I am at cross road now as I don't know whether to quit or continue with my study. Please advise. @SFE Isaac
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by FOSEA
Hi Gerand,I am in the same situation as everyone else. After my First Stage Appeal has been refused, I appealed for a further review to Stage 2. However, I received another email that they have not escalated my appeal to stage 2 as they have seen the HO anomalies and they have requested further information from them. It is over a month now and I am yet to receive any update. I am at cross road now as I don't know whether to quit or continue with my study. Please advise.

Gerard does not appear to be frequently posting any more, but @SFE Isaac may be able to assist.
Original post by FOSEA
Hi Gerand,I am in the same situation as everyone else. After my First Stage Appeal has been refused, I appealed for a further review to Stage 2. However, I received another email that they have not escalated my appeal to stage 2 as they have seen the HO anomalies and they have requested further information from them. It is over a month now and I am yet to receive any update. I am at cross road now as I don't know whether to quit or continue with my study. Please advise. @SFE Isaac

Hi sorry for the delay, I didn't see this thread until now.

I advise you to message us on Facebook/Twitter or call us so we can review your account to see what has happened.
Thanks, Isaac
HiI am going through the same issue right now and wondering what I should do regarding this mess. The saddest bit is I already started the course and have incurred some debt at the college. Please can you tell me if you managed to sort this out and if yes, how did you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending