The Student Room Group

Do Grades Need Sunlight to Grow?

gyg.png

Who am I?

In case you haven't seen me around before, my name is Amethyst, which contrary to popular belief, isn't the reason I chose my degree programme or the reason I dyed my hair purple :rolleyes: I'm a member of the TSR Study Help Support Team and I'm currently studying Environmental Science (1st year) at the University of Manchester :biggrin:

I made this blog mainly to track my progress, make sure I always stay on top of my game, organise my life, etc., but I also made this blog to track my volunteering hours and extracurricular activities that might enhance my CV or go towards my progress in getting the Manchester Leadership Award :eek:

I've not done many assessments up to yet, but I'm going to keep a log of them all below. You can also see I'm struggling with the data handling in lab science :colondollar:
Course units and grade averages with weightings so far:

1 Semester

2 Semester

So next comes my volunteering hours, which are noted below. I will be doing Incredible Edible volunteering regularly hopefully, so watch that number increase and look out for photos :h: I'll also be helping a student with her project on Drosophila melanogaster until the end of the semester, so I'll note that down too! However, I'm not sure that'll go towards the award.

Volunteering log

Finally comes the other extracurricular activities, some are more relevant than others!

Extracurricular activites

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, impressive results so far. I look forward to seeing your updates.
Reply 2
Original post by ChocCheesecake
Wow, impressive results so far. I look forward to seeing your updates.

Thank you! :fluffy: I've just joined an Arabic class run by the Linguistic Society too, so I'm super excited to update about that! :biggrin:
Original post by Amefish
Thank you! :fluffy: I've just joined an Arabic class run by the Linguistic Society too, so I'm super excited to update about that! :biggrin:

Cool! Do you know if you'll be learning a dialect or MSA?
Reply 4
Cool! Do you know if you'll be learning a dialect or MSA?

They don't give you much info, I'm just going to turn up and see what happens :h:
Original post by Amefish
They don't give you much info, I'm just going to turn up and see what happens :h:

Sounds good. :smile:

I'm also doing a GYG blog if you're interested in following it.
Reply 6
Sounds good. :smile:

I'm also doing a GYG blog if you're interested in following it.

Definitely! I'll give it a look :biggrin:
I love the title :heart: (Actually clicked on this because of that before realising it was yours!)
I'll definitely be following along even though I probably won't have a clue what you're studying :lol: Your marks so far are amazing though!
(And you definitely have the right favourite colour ...purple is the best :love:) I want to see your purple hair now!
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
I love the title :heart: (Actually clicked on this because of that before realising it was yours!)
I'll definitely be following along even though I probably won't have a clue what you're studying :lol: Your marks so far are amazing though!
(And you definitely have the right favourite colour ...purple is the best :love:) I want to see your purple hair now!

Thank you! It took me a long time to think of that title, I was going to call it "Amefish is gonna smash this" but I thought I'd jinx it :rofl: I'm really bad at titles, so I'm proud of this one :tongue: A lot of my degree at the minute is just maths and chemistry applications - getting everyone up to the same level, so I'm sure you won't get lost when you're following :hugs:

For my hair, I had an awful light patchy purple colour since September, but I dyed it a couple of days ago to a more normal people purple. It went a bit dark but I'll vibe it anyway :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by Amefish
Thank you! It took me a long time to think of that title, I was going to call it "Amefish is gonna smash this" but I thought I'd jinx it :rofl: I'm really bad at titles, so I'm proud of this one :tongue: A lot of my degree at the minute is just maths and chemistry applications - getting everyone up to the same level, so I'm sure you won't get lost when you're following :hugs:

For my hair, I had an awful light patchy purple colour since September, but I dyed it a couple of days ago to a more normal people purple. It went a bit dark but I'll vibe it anyway :wink:

Spoiler

I'm rubbish at titles as well :rofl: You should be proud, it is very nice :smile: Maybe then...although I'm getting confused enough about my chemistry atm so maybe not :lol: Maths is all good though :smile:
Your hair is so nice! I've thought about dyeing my hair before, but never really got round to it. Maybe I should...
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
I'm rubbish at titles as well :rofl: You should be proud, it is very nice :smile: Maybe then...although I'm getting confused enough about my chemistry atm so maybe not :lol: Maths is all good though :smile:
Your hair is so nice! I've thought about dyeing my hair before, but never really got round to it. Maybe I should...

Confusion is the best way to learn! :h: if you end up dying your hair sometime, definitely show us the results :tongue:
Original post by Amefish
Confusion is the best way to learn! :h: if you end up dying your hair sometime, definitely show us the results :tongue:

The problem is there's a further maths level of confusion which is ok and I learn from it, then there's a chemistry level of confusion which leaves me pernamently confused!
It's more theoretical atm, but will do if it ever turns into reality :smile:
Reply 12

Update:

My Chemistry of the Earth test was today, again worth 30% of my unit grade, and I think it went quite well! Thanks to my last minute cramming using Memrise and @a1icia's revision templates, I managed to confidently answer all of the questions except for the last one, which wasn't worth many marks. Overall I'm feeling really optimistic about it! I'll update you when I have my grade for that :biggrin:

I got feedback for my essay introduction for my professional development course unit. The feedback I got was disappointing, I sort of feel like my work wasn't read properly but I'm going to take it constructively anyway and restructure my approach. The full essay is due in two weeks but has a word count of only 1500 words, so it shouldn't be difficult to reach. Next week I have to do a presentation about my essay which will constitute 30% of my grade for that course unit.

Scientific Problem Solving this week was about handling data in Matlab (or Excel, but I got peer-pressured by a demonstrator into using Matlab, and I'm glad I was). I got 130/150 in my weekly assessment which is a little bit lower than I usually like but it only took my average down by 0.6% so I guess it's not too bad, especially for my first time on Matlab! I've updated my original post to fix my current grade for this unit :smile:

I spent ~90 minutes today making notes for Earth Resources Projects, which I will add to my group's notes for our co-authored report. It was a long process but I'm fairly proud of the results :h: later on today I will submit this week's media diary so I don't forget, and then on Friday we will get feedback for our notes.

After visiting the fly labs again this afternoon, I feel like we're properly bonding :love: I am their mother now :colone: and I'm really looking forward to doing more work with them. I've also updated my volunteering hours on the original post!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13

Update:

So I have some low grades to share :frown:

My data handling this week was only 50%, I found it really difficult and unfortunately we don't get much support for it. So this takes my average down to 76%. And then I got my Chem of the Earth test results: 72%. Could've done a lot better!
Original post by Amefish

Update:

So I have some low grades to share :frown:

My data handling this week was only 50%, I found it really difficult and unfortunately we don't get much support for it. So this takes my average down to 76%. And then I got my Chem of the Earth test results: 72%. Could've done a lot better!

:hugs:
At least they are not extremely heavily weighted!
What does data handling actually involve? Because to me it sounds like basically calculating the mean of some data and I'm sure it can't be that!
72% and 76% are still very good though :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amefish

gyg.png

Who am I?

In case you haven't seen me around before, my name is Amethyst, which contrary to popular belief, isn't the reason I chose my degree programme or the reason I dyed my hair purple :rolleyes: I'm a member of the TSR Study Help Support Team and I'm currently studying Environmental Science (1st year) at the University of Manchester :biggrin:

I made this blog mainly to track my progress, make sure I always stay on top of my game, organise my life, etc., but I also made this blog to track my volunteering hours and extracurricular activities that might enhance my CV or go towards my progress in getting the Manchester Leadership Award :eek:

I've not done many assessments up to yet, but I'm going to keep a log of them all below. You can also see I'm struggling with the data handling in lab science :colondollar:
Course units and grade averages with weightings so far:

1 Semester

2 Semester

So next comes my volunteering hours, which are noted below. I will be doing Incredible Edible volunteering regularly hopefully, so watch that number increase and look out for photos :h: I'll also be helping a student with her project on Drosophila melanogaster until the end of the semester, so I'll note that down too! However, I'm not sure that'll go towards the award.

Volunteering log

Finally comes the other extracurricular activities, some are more relevant than others!

Extracurricular activites

Damn! That's good! Congrats! Btw, can I ask you a question? Did your teacher's upload any school internal exams/mocks on UCAS when you applied to uni. Coz idk that's what my teacher has been telling me. But I have been explaining to her that it is only in the American system that you do this. So just wanted to confirm!
Reply 16
Awww I'm so happy that the templates were of some help! Well done on your test, it sounds like you've worked super hard for it so I hope you get all the grades you want!! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Lemur14
:hugs:
At least they are not extremely heavily weighted!
What does data handling actually involve? Because to me it sounds like basically calculating the mean of some data and I'm sure it can't be that!
72% and 76% are still very good though :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's horrid maths :eek: they chuck you in at the deep end!

Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Damn! That's good! Congrats! Btw, can I ask you a question? Did your teacher's upload any school internal exams/mocks on UCAS when you applied to uni. Coz idk that's what my teacher has been telling me. But I have been explaining to her that it is only in the American system that you do this. So just wanted to confirm!

I don't understand, do you mean the uni mocks? Or the school mocks?
Original post by Amefish
It's horrid maths :eek: they chuck you in at the deep end!

Maths is good :tongue:
Chucking you in at the deep end is not though :hugs:
Any helpful course mates who might be able to help you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Lemur14
Maths is good :tongue:
Chucking you in at the deep end is not though :hugs:
Any helpful course mates who might be able to help you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A couple might, it's definitely worth asking since I completely flopped this time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending