The Student Room Group

how would I decide a scale for values ranging multiple magnitudes?

Hello all,

I've come across a problem today. My values range from x10^13 to x10^19.

I initially tried to plot as just 1 x 10^x+1 for each square etc.... but I realised that the difference between 1x10^11 and 1x10^12 is not the same as for the other gaps I.e it is a logarithmic scale.
Reply 1
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
Hello all,

I've come across a problem today. My values range from x10^13 to x10^19.

I initially tried to plot as just 1 x 10^x+1 for each square etc.... but I realised that the difference between 1x10^11 and 1x10^12 is not the same as for the other gaps I.e it is a logarithmic scale.

I dont understand what u mean.

Could u post a picture of the problem to help me understand? Also what is the context?
Original post by Shaanv
I dont understand what u mean.

Could u post a picture of the problem to help me understand? Also what is the context?

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a picture of the table of values for which I need to draw a graph. I'm just Having trouble deciding a scale with such large numbers. 15102589868101430762263.jpg
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I have attached a picture of the table of values for which I need to draw a graph. I'm just Having trouble deciding a scale with such large numbers. 15102589868101430762263.jpg

Hmm the numbers are very spread out, its gonna be tedious because of awkward axis.

Maybe use excel to graph it, as u are unlikely to get a question with such a wide range of numbers. U know how to draw a graph i presume so i think excel will be sufficient.

I think all the question wants u to notice is that it should be a straight line graph.
Original post by Shaanv
Hmm the numbers are very spread out, its gonna be tedious because of awkward axis.

Maybe use excel to graph it, as u are unlikely to get a question with such a wide range of numbers. U know how to draw a graph i presume so i think excel will be sufficient.

I think all the question wants u to notice is that it should be a straight line graph.

One of the further questions asks to calculate the gradient so yeah I figured it would be a straight line. Even my physics teacher wasn't sure...Would it be a logarithmic scale?
Reply 5
One of the further questions asks to calculate the gradient so yeah I figured it would be a straight line. Even my physics teacher wasn't sure...Would it be a logarithmic scale?

Try a logarithmic scale, if u rearrange Keplers u will notice that the gradient of the original graph will be related to the intercept of the log graph.

Note however that the intercept on the log graph is NOT the gradient of the original graph, however it is closely related.

Let me know how u get on. If u want to save urself time and headache use excel and plot a graph of t^2 against r^3
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shaanv
Try a logarithmic scale, if u rearrange Keplers u will notice that the gradient of the original graph will be related to the intercept of the log graph.

Note however that the intercept on the log graph is NOT the gradient of the original graph, however it is closely related.

Let me know how u get on. If u want to save urself time and headache use excel and plot a graph of t^2 against r^3

I eventually figured it out. I just timed the values by a logbase10 and the numbers became very simple (A range of around 5.7) and I then plotted this graph and it was a straight line. Got my value for G to be around 7 x 10^-11 which is pretty close
Reply 7
I eventually figured it out. I just timed the values by a logbase10 and the numbers became very simple (A range of around 5.7) and I then plotted this graph and it was a straight line. Got my value for G to be around 7 x 10^-11 which is pretty close

Hope my input helped.

๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿพ

Quick Reply

Latest