The Student Room Group

What disadvantages do I have taking double science for my GCSE's

Im doing double science, I wanted to know what disadvantage I have for my uni application and my overall GCSE score
Tbh, there really are no disadvantages as long as you don't want to do anything science related in the future. I'm not saying that you can't do anything sciency but they'll prefer it if you do triple. I did double science GCSE and got an A in both and it hasn't affected me at all, just work your hardest to get a good grade in it. Unis don't really look at what you did for your GCSEs except maybe maths and english so don't worry about it
Honestly, there's no difference.

You really don't have any less of a footing for your A Levels than any triple student, perhaps in some occasions you may come across concepts in A Level that triple people may have encountered, but due to it being GCSEs, they would have barely scratched the surface of the concept for it to be even an advantage at all, especially so in Chemistry, where most of what they teach you is not entirely correct, where you may learn when you do an A Level in a science.

Universities, and when I say Unis, I mean like Oxford and whatnot, the resident GCSE-heavy places, may be picky, but unless you actually had the opportunity to do Triple, and still picked Double, they will sympathise if you did not have the option to do Triple in your school, as they'll know your school's GCSE policy.

Tl;dr: It doesn't make a difference whether you do it or not, but big big unis will prefer if you did triple if you have the option, if not they don't care.
Original post by marietherese
I'm not saying that you can't do anything sciency but they'll prefer it if you do triple

well most uni's ask for atleast BB in science , soooooo
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
well most uni's ask for atleast BB in science , soooooo

If you're not doing a Science based course (or teaching) then most universities don't require a Science GCSE at all.
Tbh, there really are no disadvantages as long as you don't want to do anything science related in the future. I'm not saying that you can't do anything sciency but they'll prefer it if you do triple. I did double science GCSE and got an A in both and it hasn't affected me at all, just work your hardest to get a good grade in it. Unis don't really look at what you did for your GCSEs except maybe maths and english so don't worry about it

woow, well done for getting an A. can you give me some tips on how to revise please because i am in year 11 and need all the help given also i've got mocks next month.
Original post by Compost
If you're not doing a Science based course (or teaching) then most universities don't require a Science GCSE at all.

oh my bad , i thought he wanted to do one
Original post by mariax__x
woow, well done for getting an A. can you give me some tips on how to revise please because i am in year 11 and need all the help given also i've got mocks next month.

Sure, no problem. There is a youtuber called "freesciencelessons" and his videos are short and really useful and I basically watched every single video and made flashcards on every topic, using my textbook as well. Then I used these flashcards to revise the days before my exam and I also did practice questions from past papers. I know you're doing the new 1-9 GCSEs but the exam boards will release a few practice papers. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before, that being said I stayed up until 1 am the night before my last physics exam and I still got an A in it, wouldn't advise it though cos I was so exhausted.
Sure, no problem. There is a youtuber called "freesciencelessons" and his videos are short and really useful and I basically watched every single video and made flashcards on every topic, using my textbook as well. Then I used these flashcards to revise the days before my exam and I also did practice questions from past papers. I know you're doing the new 1-9 GCSEs but the exam boards will release a few practice papers. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before, that being said I stayed up until 1 am the night before my last physics exam and I still got an A in it, wouldn't advise it though cos I was so exhausted.

what a coincidence i also use freesciencelessons!. i have made some notes however my brain doesn't seem to function as he explains in one tone if you get what i'm saying. i have tried using my revision guide but now that I've been selected for higher i am becoming so stressed and dont know what to do
Original post by mariax__x
what a coincidence i also use freesciencelessons!. i have made some notes however my brain doesn't seem to function as he explains in one tone if you get what i'm saying. i have tried using my revision guide but now that I've been selected for higher i am becoming so stressed and dont know what to do

ahaha I know what you mean about his voice:biggrin: don't stress out as that is the worst thing you can do, you'll be fine just make lots of flashcards

Quick Reply

Latest