The Student Room Group

can i wear hijab and be pretty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shezzax
you can still wear it and be gorgeous, only have to look at dina tokio and habiba da silva as examples

So true ! :tongue:
I think people should be able to express their beauty rather than hide it, I mean I respect the culture of wearing hijabs but isn’t it discriminating against women? They should have the right to reveal their beauty. But nevertheless lots of people wearing hijabs are still pretty lol
Original post by Anonymous
I think people should be able to express their beauty rather than hide it, I mean I respect the culture of wearing hijabs but isn’t it discriminating against women? They should have the right to reveal their beauty. But nevertheless lots of people wearing hijabs are still pretty lol

Islam is not a culture. Please do not amalgamate elements where they do not belong.
Reply 183
Original post by soIiIoquy
No, but thats why the niqab (face veil) isn't obligatory.
Firstly, you don't actually know that since you only follow your interpretation of Islam.

I still don't understand how this changes anything : if Mohammed wanted to preserve a women's modesty, he would have commanded them to cover their face. Similarly, if he cared about the value of women, he wouldn't have married many wives and certainly wouldn't have "visited " them all in the same night (Sahih Bukhari 7:62:6)

No, I'm not saying that all males do that, but I'm sure a vast majority of them would rather go to the woman is showing herself off rather than one who is covered.
But this is only in the context of having a relationship with the opposite sex and therefore typically would occur in associated areas. The headscarf and the hijab is prescribed for all public encounters and clearly isn't necessary.

If you don't want to have relationships with other men, then don't have relationships with other men.

the owner of this thread is talking about the "Hijab" which isn't the covering of the head, so I can speak about other parts of the body.
Whilst you're correct in your understanding, you make the clear error of assuming the OP has used it in said context. The more common meaning of "hijab" is the "headscarf" and therefore this is more important than merely what it means in arabic.

The OP made the title as " can I wear hijab and be pretty?" and the opening statement as "if someone wears a hijab..."
It soon becomes obvious that the OP was referring to the headscarf (or at least that's what is to be inferred from their wording)

It's not just the hair, its the way a woman dresses, the way a woman presents herself, behaves etc. If a woman is wearing the hijab she has to play the part too and present herself modestly, otherwise there's no point. In this way they get treated with respect and not treated in a way that brings sexual attention.

Look, I can only go by your words which were : "Think realistically, if a woman was to be showing off her hair, chest, legs etcetc even without the intention to get attention, surely a male would perceive her in a sexual way or try to flirt/attract her?"

Even those who don't specifically wear the headcovering but still wear appropriate clothing can be seen as modest and can also be treated with respect and dignity.

Men should always respect and show dignity to women and the same is for the reverse, regardless if they person is "modestly dressed".

However, it still remains that the prescription for Muslims (especially females) is far more restrictive than is necessary and raises questions for who this control system was aimed for. Hence the draconian rules of 5 daily prayer rituals, fasting with pedantic timing, no alcohol, no music and those who go against this are welcomed with divine punishment.
Reply 184
well you are seeking an objective answer to a subjective question xD we will all think something different, just like every person you will meet. It is all relevant
Original post by Mil99
Firstly, you don't actually know that since you only follow your interpretation of Islam.

I still don't understand how this changes anything : if Mohammed wanted to preserve a women's modesty, he would have commanded them to cover their face. Similarly, if he cared about the value of women, he wouldn't have married many wives and certainly wouldn't have "visited " them all in the same night (Sahih Bukhari 7:62:6)

But this is only in the context of having a relationship with the opposite sex and therefore typically would occur in associated areas. The headscarf and the hijab is prescribed for all public encounters and clearly isn't necessary.

If you don't want to have relationships with other men, then don't have relationships with other men.

Whilst you're correct in your understanding, you make the clear error of assuming the OP has used it in said context. The more common meaning of "hijab" is the "headscarf" and therefore this is more important than merely what it means in arabic.

The OP made the title as " can I wear hijab and be pretty?" and the opening statement as "if someone wears a hijab..."
It soon becomes obvious that the OP was referring to the headscarf (or at least that's what is to be inferred from their wording)

Look, I can only go by your words which were : "Think realistically, if a woman was to be showing off her hair, chest, legs etcetc even without the intention to get attention, surely a male would perceive her in a sexual way or try to flirt/attract her?"

Men should always respect and show dignity to women and the same is for the reverse, regardless if they person is "modestly dressed".

However, it still remains that the prescription for Muslims (especially females) is far more restrictive than is necessary and raises questions for who this control system was aimed for. Hence the draconian rules of 5 daily prayer rituals, fasting with pedantic timing, no alcohol, no music and those who go against this are welcomed with divine punishment.

I'm sorry, but this isn't my interpretation. Nowhere in the Quran does it state that women HAVE to cover their faces and wear veils. It doesn't even mention "veil" in the Quran. I essentially follow what is said in the Quran, I don't use interpretations.

Firstly. Muhammad (Saw) had a supreme reason as to why he married more than one woman. Other important figures like sulayman (soloman) who is mentioned in the biblical scriptures had numerous wives!
There are so many reasons as to why Muhammad (saw) had numerous wives. One being that it would strengthen ties between the tribes, another was to compensate a widow in times of calamity etc.if you actually researched how he met each wife, then you would understand the prime reasons as to why he married them. Majority of them were actually widows who were in need of financial help. it's not all just about desire and he didn't command them to cover their faces, that was their own choice, just like many others' but it's not obligatory.

But male/female interaction is something people go through all the time....how would one know whether she would need to interact with a male? There's nothing wrong with it, there's a certain way in which women should communicate with the opposite sex. That's why she would have to wear it all the time, you can't just be part-time..

That's the problem though,some men can't show respect and this disrespect is shown mostly towards those who aren't dressed appropriately, it's like they're asking for that, and even if that wasn't their intention, how is the man supposed to know that? I'm sorry but a lot of men don't show respect to women. if you go back to my statement , i said think realistically, i'm sure a woman would seem far more approachable in a sexual way if she was exposing her body than the one who is dressed appropriately, hijab or not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 186
I'm sorry, but this isn't my interpretation. Nowhere in the Quran does it state that women HAVE to cover their faces and wear veils. It doesn't even mention "veil" in the Quran.
Where is the term "headscarf" mentioned in the Quran?

Also, there's lots of things which aren't explictly mentioned in the Quran but you still believe in.

I essentially follow what is said in the Quran, I don't use interpretations.
You have to interpret the words otherwise they're meangingless lettered put together.

Firstly. Muhammad (Saw) had a supreme reason as to why he married more than one woman. Other important figures like sulayman (soloman) who is mentioned in the biblical scriptures had numerous wives!
Quite frankly, what another Biblical or Quranic figure did is irrelevant as I am not defending them.

There are so many reasons as to why Muhammad (saw) had numerous wives. One being that it would strengthen ties between the tribes, another was to compensate a widow in times of calamity etc.
So he married a women to strengthen ties between tribes? Firstly, are you seriously telling me this is the only way to strengthen relations? Secondly, I don't see how you can say Mohammed respects women when not only does he marry lots, but also married some of them to improve his political dominance.

if you actually researched how he met each wife, then you would understand the prime reasons as to why he married them. Majority of them were actually widows who were in need of financial help. it's not all just about desire and he didn't command them to cover their faces, that was their own choice, just like many others' but it's not obligatory.
If they needed help, why didn't he just help them?? Why did he need to marry them. What does marriage bring that merely helping someone doesn't?

But male/female interaction is something people go through all the time....how would one know whether she would need to interact with a male? There's nothing wrong with it, there's a certain way in which women should communicate with the opposite sex.
Yes there's appropriate behaviour which is sufficient for the interaction.

That's why she would have to wear it all the time, you can't just be part-time..
This is your misunderstanding. Why is a headscarf required for a presentation, meeting, school, work etc etc ? It's not needed because these are all professional environments which demand appropriate and considerate behaviour.

A headscarf perhaps could be indicated if someone was entering an environment where it is appropriate for public relatioships and for someone to approach another person. But Muslims are forbidden to enter such environments and therefore the headscarf still isn't necessary!

That's the problem though,some men can't show respect and this disrespect is shown mostly towards those who aren't dressed appropriately, it's like they're asking for that, and even if that wasn't their intention
Can you support your assertion that most disrespect from men is specifically towards women who aren't dressed properly and please confirm whether the context of said behaviour is in public work/professional places or not.

how is the man supposed to know that?
What on earth are you talking about? Are you justifying inappropriate behaviour from men to women to appear to be under dressed??

Said man should know that under no circumstances is said behaviour ever allowed.
if someone wears a hijab, do you find them attractive? or is it a turn off

I find them no less attractive than I would if they didn’t wear it. I also admire the fact that they have the confidence to express their faith - and confidence is attractive. If you’re happy and comfortable in yourself you will automatically attract the right people - so who cares what others think!
No, the hijab makes you ugly and that’s why all the hijabis in the world are really ugly.

Turn off. What if you're bald underneath there?

I believe hijabs are worn as a sign of modesty and privacy. I wouldn't at all say it's a turn-off though.
I thought the purpose of the* hijab (because it's singular, not plural, OP) *was* to veil your beauty? so OBVIOUSLY it will have an effect of making you uglier and I'm surprised you don't seem to understand that
Yes
depends on how attractive you are in the first place.
Original post by MiszShortee786
Islam is not a culture. Please do not amalgamate elements where they do not belong.

what about a "south asian indo-pak culture" (where everybody~ is very islamic)? isn't that interchangeable with "islamic culture" in a british post-colonial context?
Don't wear a hijab if you want to be pretty. The hijab is literally supposed to make you ugly so that "perverted" men don't attack you or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending